[OB] What truths must Hoid speak?

MonsterMetroid

33 minutes ago, Ookla the Apostate said:

Maybe that'll be one of his later truths. "Someday I'm going to leave this world, my squiggly little friend. And it's going to kill you."

It's not impossible to get spren and splinters off world, just difficult. If anyone can get a spren away, it'll be Hoid.

2 hours ago, Wit Beyond Measure said:

Wit's entire mission to Kholinar was to save that one wee spren.  He wasn't there to save Kholinar from the Fuzed and Parshmen armies, though he helped some with that.  He wasn't there to save Kholinar from the two horrible Unmade, though he helped some with that.  And he wasn't there to save the queen or the king-in-waiting or Shallan or Kal or any of our heroes or the Oathgate.  Wit spent all of that valuable time in Kholinar to find and save that single spren.

Because Hoid knows when and where he's needed, and also is extremely interested in getting his hands on every possible type of Investiture.  Odium's forces could get their hands on Cryptics in Shadesmar easily enough if that was what they were after.

10 hours ago, Heir of the Void said:

Yes, or that she decided to summon an illusion of Radiant in shardplate because she thought that seemed fitting. While she almost certainly has the ability, it seems bizzare that she would summon it without noticing

But then, she is insane.

Radiant was the non-illusionary one.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Busker said:

Radiant was the non-illusionary one.

There was no indication of that. Radiant in Garnet Shardplate was the second of the two Shallan personas to emerge from mist to grab the of the normal Shallan. For Radiant to have been real, the scene would have to have been told from the perspective of the illusionary normal Shallan. 

4 minutes ago, Heir of the Void said:

There was no indication of that. Radiant in Garnet Shardplate was the second of the two Shallan personas to emerge from mist to grab the of the normal Shallan. For Radiant to have been real, the scene would have to have been told from the perspective of the illusionary normal Shallan. 

I'm sorry I don't have the ability to produce a citation now, but at the end of the battle somebody comes to help Shallan and tries to hold the "normal" Shallan in the middle, but finds her illusory. Radiant then speaks up and identifies herself as the one that's physically present.

And Shallan narrating a scene from the point of view of her illusionary doppleganger two feet to the left isn't even in the top five craziest unreliable narrator shenanigans she's pulled.

ETA: And apologies for the threadjacking. I hope we get to hear at least one of Hoid's truths.

Edited by Ookla the Busker
just realized what thread this actually is

I'd like to circle back just to add that I'm not sure Hoid did bond the cryptic. If he did, I feel bad for the "little one." That spren was moments from bonding Elokhar, but instead bonds with Hoid? Yikes! Talk about a paradigm shift. I also don't think he bonded the spren because-as it was mentioned here--at some point he will be Worldhopping and leaving "Little One" to...die or something? Hoid's "oath" seemed just a little too flippant; something pithy to end the book on (Lopen's pancakes not withstanding).

Also, I think the fact that the spren was a Lightweaver cryptic spren seems arbitrary. What if Elokhar was destined to be a Truthwatcher or Stoneward? It would still be Elokhar that was in Kholinar. Which makes me believe that Hoid was there just to save that spren, which I believe the Voidbringers were looking for, reasons to be RAFO. Don't forget, the Voidbringers left Elohkar's blood on the floor. Sort of a, "he's around here somewhere, boys." I mean, the VBs controlled the Palace for months. Why would they be tearing it apart searching for something else now? 

4 minutes ago, Brightlord Brooding Eyes said:

I'd like to circle back just to add that I'm not sure Hoid did bond the cryptic

I agree. I certainly think it's not set in stone either way, but I think if he were to bond it, we would have seen him saying the entire first Ideal instead of just starting it.

Leaving the world wouldn't kill the spren. It's just very difficult to do. See Mistborn: Secret history for a depiction of a being composed of investiture attempting to leave its world. If anyone has expertise in helping investing beings worldhop, it would be Hoid.

34 minutes ago, Brightlord Brooding Eyes said:

Also, I think the fact that the spren was a Lightweaver cryptic spren seems arbitrary. What if Elokhar was destined to be a Truthwatcher or Stoneward?

Elhokar's been ranting about seeing symbolheads in mirrors since WoK. His whole purpose in life is to pretend to be something he knows (or fears) that he isn't because he thinks that's what the world needs him to do. He was going to be a Lightweaver.

I think it would be amazing to see Hoid stroll into the middle of a high level Radiant meeting in Urithiru and plate up before everyone's eyes. Then he would make some comment about how with all the Radiants coming out of the woodwork surely SOMEONE among them had figured the plate out by now.

Also, I'm wondering why Cryptics want to understand truth and lies. Are they of Cultivation and are curious about people growing and changing through the lies or truths that are a part of them? 

And about this:

16 hours ago, Ookla the Busker said:

How sure are you that she doesn't?

(There's some evidence during the battle at the end of OB that she might.)

At least as of the conversation with Jasnah in Urithiru where Jasnah was all, "Oh you're a full Radiant? You want to just uh, show me your shardplate? You wanna just whip that out quick as long as you have it on you" Shallan didn't have it. I hope the moment she gets her plate is important enough that we get to see it on screen. 

• Chaos locked this topic