[OB] Where do we come from?

SirLanceAlloy

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] Where do we come from?

We know that Scadrian humans are native to Scadrial, albeit based on a template from elsewhere (Ati and Leras were both human, as far as we can tell, and definitely not native to Scadrial).

We know humans existed on multiple cosmere worlds before Adonalsium was shattered, but I don't think we know whether they had one home world before that.

Greater cosmere spoilers

Spoiler

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/95-general-twitter-2016/#e822

Zach G

Dunno if you can answer this now, but if everyone is from Yolen way back when, is there a migration story?

Brandon Sanderson

Not all humans originated on Yolen, but the first humans were there. Watch the books for myths that hint at more.

9 hours ago, SirLanceAlloy said:

So if human kind is from another world that they destroyed before.where exactly do we come from? Not to mention is this the case for all the other worlds we see  MB WB Elan and even WS are we a people displaced on every planet?

In regards to the humans on Roshar specifically, they appear to come from multiple places. Its hinted that there have been multiple groups that have migrated to Roshar at different points in time, such as the Iriali and their long path. The Shin seem very different from everyone else in appearance, so they're another possible group.

As for the potential group that started the whole desolation business, they appear to have come from Ashyn, another planet located in the Rosharan system. This is supported by the fact that Ashyn experienced a cataclysmic event in the past, is mostly a barren wasteland, and humans live in giant floating cities in the sky (Castle in the sky anyone?). Additionally, the previous world the Roshar humans came from was reportedly destroyed by surges. While surges are a part of physics in the Cosmere and are thus everywhere, magic systems directly involving the surges have only been shown originating from the Rosharan system. Combine those and Ashyn seems the primary candidate for being the original home of at least one group of Roshar immigrants.

A note on surge magic systems belonging to Roshar, I've seen a WoB discussing how magic systems are a combination of the Shard's/Adonalsium's power and the area of the cosmere they're in. These two things mingle to form the magic system. That's why even on world's where there are multiple shards, the magic systems will have at least some things in common, for example, metal on Scadrial. This indicates that surge magic is likely unique to the Roshar area. This supports Ashyn (or braize maybe) being the previous home planet that was destroyed by surges.

I couldn't find the right WoB, this is the closest I found.

Spoiler
17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 26, 2012)
#5Sept. 26, 2012 Share

Odium's_Shard

Does the Spiritual power used in any given magic system come from the supporting Shard itself, or through it from the remains of Adonalsium and the Power of Creation?

Brandon Sanderson

From the Shard in most cases. But it's also often built into the world innately, and so the Shard (if someone is holding it) doesn't always have control over who can or cannot use the magic.

4 minutes ago, Wandering Investor said:

This supports Ashyn (or braize maybe) being the previous home planet that was destroyed by surges.

It's almost certainly Ashyn. In Kriss's essay in AU, she says that Ashyn was destroyed by some sort of cataclysm and now only supports small pockets of livability. She also says only spren live on Braize.

4 minutes ago, Wandering Investor said:

Agreed, its almost certainly Ashyn, but not confirmed so I wanted to state the options.

It's confirmed.

Oathbringer Portland signing (Nov. 16, 2017)

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

A friend of mine wanted me to ask: Was the cataclysm that <rocked> Ashyn and forced its inhabitants into the flying cities Investiture-based, and if it was was it Shardic in nature?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The same cataclysm that the-- did you finish [Oathbringer]?

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

The same cataclysm that they were fleeing, that they caused, is the one that forced people into the skies.

It would be cool if there were more flying cities.

i wonder if the heralds or the Knights ever traveled to the other planets in the system, or even create something akin to an oath gate linking them. I doubt damnation, as it risked the enemy corrupting and co opting the passageway. But I c ould see them creating a way to their old home.

• Chaos locked this topic