[OB] "Unintended Side-Effects" of Imprisoning Ba-Ado-Mishram

NotBurtReynolds

7 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

I wonder when the Shattered Plains were shattered. Could they have been shattered when. Boa-Ado-Mishram was captured, and the de-souling of the Parsh mixed with the destruction of a city caused the radiants to abandon their oaths?

I always got the sense this took place during the last desolation. I think Stormseat was destroyed 4500 years ago. 

Edited by thejopen27

5 hours ago, Varenus said:

So, my best guess is that Ba-Ado-Mishram was captured in Rall Elorim, the city of shadows. The shattering of the plains might be involved, but it is across the entire length of Roshar

I agree. "Ado" means light (at least in Alethi - and iirc Elantris) and you cannot have shadows without light. It seems reasonable that there would be a link. It would be good to have more information regarding the meanings of words.

I must admit I assumed that the shattering of the Plains was to do with the death of Honor - perhaps a side effect of his death? Perhaps even related to him giving more investiture to the SF. Not sure that we have enough evidence to say one way or the other at this point.

On 12/8/2017 at 8:38 PM, Cenanin said:

The KR are not just for the Desolations. The Desolations were happening before spren started bonding humans. That was the reason for the Heralds. They would teach humanity to fight the parshendi, but then one Desolation humans had discovered surgebinding. The KR were active during the times between Desolations.

I believe the KR/Surgebinding are all completely independent of the Oathpact and the Desolations completely. 

Which begs the question: how did the humans/original voidbringers voidbind prior to coming to Roshar. I like the idea that the fused were indeed souls of humans who originally emigrated to Roshar. 

11 hours ago, PhineasGage said:

I agree. "Ado" means light (at least in Alethi - and iirc Elantris) and you cannot have shadows without light. It seems reasonable that there would be a link. It would be good to have more information regarding the meanings of words.

I must admit I assumed that the shattering of the Plains was to do with the death of Honor - perhaps a side effect of his death? Perhaps even related to him giving more investiture to the SF. Not sure that we have enough evidence to say one way or the other at this point.

Jasnah implies that the plains were shattered during the last desolation, while I believe Honor was still alive until after the false Desolation. 

13 hours ago, Watchcry said:

Which begs the question: how did the humans/original voidbringers voidbind prior to coming to Roshar. I like the idea that the fused were indeed souls of humans who originally emigrated to Roshar. 

Ya, the KR weren't around for the first desolation for sure. Probably not for awhile. But it does say they destroyed their world with surgebindings. Voidspren?

1 hour ago, Cenanin said:

Ya, the KR weren't around for the first desolation for sure. Probably not for awhile. But it does say they destroyed their world with surgebindings. Voidspren?

Surges are just what they call the forces of nature. So any kind of power wielded by humans the Rosharans would likely call Surgebinding. Even if it were totally different, from a different source, used differently, etc. My guess is that it was a plot orchestrated by Odium to force humans onto Roshar to force conflict with Honor and Cultivation. 

• Chaos locked this topic