OB shardblade question

Highline

The only other person besides Vasher and Shashara that knew about the Awakening process of Nightblood was Yesteel. It's possible he was involved in some way. Without a Warbreaker sequel, a lot of this is speculation. I do believe Azure's sword is an Awakened object though. 

18 minutes ago, Maximus said:

This was what caught me on to who she was ( or at least where she was from. I still don't know why we know this is her.)

It's pretty spelled out it's her imo...plus Brandon has said that Vivenna would be in this book. 

Brandon has said that though Vasher can use stormlight to feed his Divine Breath, he can't use it to awaken. Also, afaik only people on Nalthis have Breath, the color part is separate. Everyone is born with an Investiture "spark of life" or soul that Nightblood eats, but the Breath is separate and only something that people born on Nalthis have (for example, Nalthians don't die when they give up their breath).

You can also see the color drain phenomenon when Nightblood starts to eat Szeth, he is grayed out in the places that Nightblood touched him.

Edited by Fakeout

3 hours ago, Fakeout said:

Brandon has said that though Vasher can use stormlight to feed his Divine Breath, he can't use it to awaken. Also, afaik only people on Nalthis have Breath, the color part is separate. Everyone is born with an Investiture "spark of life" or soul that Nightblood eats, but the Breath is separate and only something that people born on Nalthis have (for example, Nalthians don't die when they give up their breath).

You can also see the color drain phenomenon when Nightblood starts to eat Szeth, he is grayed out in the places that Nightblood touched him.

Vivenna must be carrying some breath in her then because her cloak acts strange and she has the crew of Honor's Path prepare golems for her. 

1 hour ago, thejopen27 said:

Vivenna must be carrying some breath in her then because her cloak acts strange and she has the crew of Honor's Path prepare golems for her. 

Yes, for sure. I really wanted to see that fight between her and the Fused, but alas. I wonder what purpose wrapping her cloak around her arm had though. If it was her sword arm, perhaps it just added speed or accuracy to her dueling, since strength wouldn't really be necessary.

Her sword doesn't require Investiture to unsheath, however, since she let the spren on the ship hold it and it didn't eat him or anything so.

19 minutes ago, Fakeout said:

Yes, for sure. I really wanted to see that fight between her and the Fused, but alas. I wonder what purpose wrapping her cloak around her arm had though. If it was her sword arm, perhaps it just added speed or accuracy to her dueling, since strength wouldn't really be necessary.

Her sword doesn't require Investiture to unsheath, however, since she let the spren on the ship hold it and it didn't eat him or anything so.

She probably awakened it to act as a shield.  Something like "Prevent objects from getting close to me."

19 minutes ago, Fakeout said:

The cloak around the arm can be awakened to form a shield/vambrace  - pretty sure we see Vasher do the same thing in Warbreaker but I don't have the book on me atm.

It is implied that she is carrying a great deal of breath, given the way her scars fade and that she is able to awaken multiple golems on the ship.

On top of that, she may need breath to use her sword in the same way as Nightblood, it is only that her blade is less powerful, has a less crazy command word or perhaps doesn't require the same level of breath anyway because it doesn't have the same level of awareness.

I got the impression that her blade is somewhat selfaware - perhaps like a pet dog rather than a human because "she" investigates the honourspren that holds her. The sword also clearly isn't as dangerous as Nightblood because Vivenna uses it a lot.

9 hours ago, Andy92 said:

The only other person besides Vasher and Shashara that knew about the Awakening process of Nightblood was Yesteel. It's possible he was involved in some way. Without a Warbreaker sequel, a lot of this is speculation. I do believe Azure's sword is an Awakened object though. 

You're forgetting someone: Susebron, the God King probably has orders of magnitude more breaths than either of them. And he's Vivenna's brother-in-law...

Susebron has a lot of breath yes (we actually dont know if Vasher or Shashara ever had more) but at the end of Warbreaker at least, he knew absolutely nothing about the awakening process of Nightblood. 

I prefer the idea that Vivienna awakened it herself before or during the Warbreaker sequel, Nightblood.

Edited by Jace21

Doubtful that an awakened cloak could block a shard blade. At least not a type 3 entity, which is the every day type we see Vasher create and reclaim regularly in Warbreaker. Nightblood is type 4, awakened with sentience. I think her sword is type 4 with a different command than Nightblood. Her cloak around her arm I think is type 3 and I imagine a command like what we see Vasher use with his clothing to increase strength, reflexes, etc.

I also was sad to miss the fight on the ship when Viviennna asked the honorspren for cloth. I was remembering Vasher’s awesome fight scene: “fight for me, as if you were me.”

• Chaos locked this topic