Everstorm Questions

Stuperman

With Oathbringer right around the corner I recently re-read WoR and something about the Everstorm has been bothering me. I searched around and didn't see these answered anywhere - although I'm sure I'm not the first to ask/think about this.

If it starts in the shattered plains and goes from west to east (assuming the world is round) wouldn't the storm die down by the time it reached alethkar? They say the highstorms aren't very bad in Shinovar, I would assume everstorms would be the worst in Shinovar and not bad after you get passed the mountains? Has this been addressed anywhere that I missed?

So, one reason why the highstorms are so placid in Shinovar is that Shinovar has the Misted Mountains to shield it or "break up" the highstorm before it reaches them. Alethkar doesn't have a similar geological feature. Also, in the books, we've only seen the Everstorm reach Azir (in Edgedancer), so (not including Oathbringer), we haven't yet seen what the Everstorm is like when it reaches Alethkar after having already gone across the continent. 

Well by Stormfather's words the Everstorm is One Storm in Perpetual motion. While the Highstorms are multiple and their weakening happens mostly because they lose Investiture over time (as Roshar's ecosystem requires).

We could only speculato the Everstorm instead is constant

4 minutes ago, thejopen27 said:

I think the Everstorm will be more sustained, slow, consistent. Like a distance runner to the Highstorms sprint. 

Well at least for the Speed you have 100% right (for SF's words) the others is still likely but not confirmed.

I am start to ask (by your reply) if the Everstorm will consume itself in the end, and the Stormforms have to periodically re-summon it

Wouldn't the mountains work the same way with the everstorm though and slow it down? Obviously there is a lot more we'll find out soon in oathbringer so it might just be a RAFO kind of question, but I figured someone might have asked brandon this at some point. Maybe not. I guess it'll just be a suspenseful few days here haha

• Chaos locked this topic