[OB] Stone Shamanism and The Girl Who Looked Up

Erunion

1 hour ago, Rasha said:

There is also the classic three questions / three answers that sends the protagonist into her hero's journey. It's the Rule of Three, and it's very common in popular myths. 

Everything worth saying must be said thrice, because it can be denied twice. 

It is also a reliquat of the old times, were tales were told by voice, and never written. The Rule of Three allowed an easier memorization, which is why it is present in all the old myths, and still used now as a reference. 

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfThree

There, I send you on a TVtropes journey, may the Allmighty save you from spending your whole day on it. 

I won't spend my whole day on TV Tropes. I've already read it all.

Anyways, Rule of Three, apart from what you mentioned, is also just a good literary device as, often, two is too little and four is too much.

Edited by Leyrann

I hate to get on here just to shoot this theory down because I actually like it, but Humans existed on Roshar before the shattering.

Also, The Girl Who Looked Up ends with the storms tearing the wall down, which would need to be explained.

I think maybe you should try to combine this theory with the Vorin tradition of humans being expelled from the Tranquiline Halls.
I think the Shin were already present on Roshar and other humans may have been moved there later (or possibly vice-versa)

The story would then relate to how they lost their original world rather than being as local as Shinovar separated from the rest of Roshar

@Wreith - good info! Doesn’t shoot down the theory though, just introduced complications. (Were the humans perhaps banished behind Shin’s mountains? Or were those kept away merely later colonists and the original humans had cheerfully intermingled? Lots of possibilities!) 

Definitely like the tranquiline halls connection though :) 

thanks for the WOB! I’d upvote but I’ve already spent all of mine for today... 

2 hours ago, Wreith said:

I hate to get on here just to shoot this theory down because I actually like it, but Humans existed on Roshar before the shattering.

Also, The Girl Who Looked Up ends with the storms tearing the wall down, which would need to be explained.

I think maybe you should try to combine this theory with the Vorin tradition of humans being expelled from the Tranquiline Halls.
I think the Shin were already present on Roshar and other humans may have been moved there later (or possibly vice-versa)

The story would then relate to how they lost their original world rather than being as local as Shinovar separated from the rest of Roshar

He says they predate the shattering, but does that mean they were on Roshar beforehand or just that they weren't created by the shards? Just wondering 

48 minutes ago, Gigalemesh said:

He says they predate the shattering, but does that mean they were on Roshar beforehand or just that they weren't created by the shards? Just wondering 

Parshendi are native to Roshar

INTERVIEW: Nov 22nd, 2016

BYU Bookstore (Paraphrased)

QUESTION

My brother asked a question about my cousin's theory on parshendi(I don't remember exactly what the question was)

BRANDON SANDERSON

Brandon said that the parshendi were created to be part of the Rosharian ecosystem.

TAGS

As per my previous post, human/parshendi hybrids existed pre shattering.

I will grant that there's a tiny amount of wiggle room here, but I'm really kind of fed up with all the jumping at shadows *sigh*
We have every reason to believe that the Listeners have always been on Roshar proper.

Parshendi are native to Roshar

@Wreith I think @Gilgamesh meant humans when he said "they", not the Listeners.

(Granted I already deleted part of my response where I misunderstood something else you were saying, so I could very well be wrong...)

Edited by Marethyu316
It's late and I didn't read carefully enough...

53 minutes ago, Marethyu316 said:

@Wreith I think @Gilgamesh meant humans when he said "they", not the Listeners.

(Granted I already deleted part of my response where I misunderstood something else you were saying, so I could very well be wrong...)

You are right, I fully believe the listeners were there pre-shattering, and that they are fully native to Roshar. And I'm not even saying that humans weren't there pre-shattering, I haven't thought enough about it to say for certain what I think either way. I just felt the quote was ambiguous, he says both strains of humanoid existed beforehand but does he mean humans/listeners or does he mean horneaters/herdazians? If it's the first then the humans could have existed on another planet pre-shattering, if it's the second then yes humans must have been on Roshar before the shattering. I read it as the first but it seems @Wreith read it as the second. Sorry if my question was exasperating but I was just interested in the interpretation, didn't think I was "jumping at shadows" by just asking a question  

5 hours ago, Gigalemesh said:

You are right, I fully believe the listeners were there pre-shattering, and that they are fully native to Roshar. And I'm not even saying that humans weren't there pre-shattering, I haven't thought enough about it to say for certain what I think either way. I just felt the quote was ambiguous, he says both strains of humanoid existed beforehand but does he mean humans/listeners or does he mean horneaters/herdazians? If it's the first then the humans could have existed on another planet pre-shattering, if it's the second then yes humans must have been on Roshar before the shattering. I read it as the first but it seems @Wreith read it as the second. Sorry if my question was exasperating but I was just interested in the interpretation, didn't think I was "jumping at shadows" by just asking a question  

Sorry I misunderstood use of "they".

Yes I very much read it as the second. The two mixed breeds were the topic being discussed. There's no reason to suddenly change focus except to intentionally confuse, which, as frustrating as his answers can be, Brandon generally doesn't do.

2 hours ago, Wreith said:

Sorry I misunderstood use of "they".

Yes I very much read it as the second. The two mixed breeds were the topic being discussed. There's no reason to suddenly change focus except to intentionally confuse, which, as frustrating as his answers can be, Brandon generally doesn't do.

Well the previous sentence is "humans and parshmen don't have a common ancestor" so he did change the subject at least temporarily to humans/listeners, and I assumed that the two "strains of humanoids" referred to the two he had most recently mentioned, so I don't think it's ridiculous to read it that way, though I may well be wrong.

edit: the question he was asked was also referring to the relationship between humans and parshendi

Edited by Gigalemesh

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Stone Shamanism and The Girl Who Looked Up
  • Chaos locked this topic