Godmetal Powers - Set or Picked or Something Else

CaptainRyan

Question

Are Godmetal powers chosen (or influenced) by the Vessel or is it something else?

E.g. Could Ati/Ruin have chosen for Atium to do something other than show glimpses of the future? Could Leras/Preservation have chosen for Lerasium to have different properties? What about new Shards that invest? Are they able to influence how their Godmetal acts?

4 answers to this question

The godmetal's Power aren't chosen by the Vessels. They are Simply the result of the Shardic's mandate Upon the filter of the Metallic Arts.

To be' more specific you could see how Atium turns peoples into killing machines in Allomancy, It allows you to operate Upon your body's entropy in Feruchemy and It's the most efficient Spike into Hemalurgy.

Similary the Lerasium gives you the ability to preserve yourself using external sources of Power.

In a WoB Brandon said that an Atium-Lerasium Alloy would have a real deterministic and prevedible effect for Who has Realmatic knowledge.

I did some WoB hunting and I couldn't find a definitive answer for this, I believe that the powers of the God metals were chosen by the vessel though, for the simple reason that they don't seem like a natural outcropping of their Shard.

Atium, for example, grants sight into the Spiritual Realm, and therefor future sight, but Preservation was better at future sight than Ruin was, because his Intent was to destroy.

Lerasium is the same way, we know from WoB that it's actual effect is rewriting the spiritweb, and that seems directly contrary to the Intent of keeping everything the same.

I think that Ruin and Preservation both chose a power for their god metal that goes against their Intent because it helped them minimize their natural weaknesses.

7 hours ago, FiveLate said:

Atium effected enhance destruction directly and Lerasium does enhance preservation...the thing is that basically any of the known shards mandates could probably be twisted in some way to fulfill another's..

Yeah, I think this one could be twisted any which way. To me though, future sight doesn't seem destructive since Preservation eventually won the long game with his superior future sight, and atium is so great because it makes you nearly untouchable (preserving your life.)

On the other side, rewriting your spiritweb registers as against Preservation's Intent to me. It's default 'mode' is to make people a Mistborn, which is great for preserving life, but we know from WoB that it can make all kinds of other changes as well if you know what you're doing, and we know from SH that Preservation's Intent is against helpful changes as well.

Edit: Until we get more info, I think this could go either way, based on how you see the Intents

Edited by Cowmanthethird