Fiction Food Project - making recipes from favourite books!

Hi, everybody!

My name is Kat, and I recently decided to make fictional foods a reality.

I am gathering all mentions of appetizing foods (Sandersonian or of other favourite authors) that I can find, and trying to construct the closest version I can. But t will greatly help me if you mention any foods you would like to try, like Joel's Stir-fry Spaghetti and Meatballs (the Rithmatist) for example, or the beloved Chouta (Roshar). Or we can talk about what you think is typical of a certain cuisine in a fictional world, what you think a certain dish should taste like, and so on. Any input you give me will make the result better and quicker. And if at all possible, it will help me greatly if you could support me and this project on Patreon.

Hope I can make things that you will all enjoy! Thank you for your time and feel free to contact me!

Edited by Kat Kfir

Scadrial is supposed to have some good waffles, I hear. Hardly fictitious, but still tasty. There's also cookies that contain high iron content and magic. 

More serious, you could make a cretaceous kind of dish from Roshar, and separate by women's food (sweet) and men's food (spicy). Supplemented with different colours of wine (you'll have to find the quotes about how they're made, cause it's different than here).

2 hours ago, Kat Kfir said:

Hi, everybody!

My name is Kat, and I recently decided to make fictional foods a reality.

I am gathering all mentions of appetizing foods (Sandersonian or of other favourite authors) that I can find, and trying to construct the closest version I can. But t will greatly help me if you mention any foods you would like to try, like Joel's Stir-fry Spaghetti and Meatballs (the Rithmatist) for example, or the beloved Chouta (Roshar). Or we can talk about what you think is typical of a certain cuisine in a fictional world, what you think a certain dish should taste like, and so on. Any input you give me will make the result better and quicker.

Hope I can make things that you will all enjoy! Thank you for your time and feel free to contact me!

Great idea! Do you have any recipes so far?

There is an “Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook” out already. Also many series’ companion guides have recipes in them I know “A Dragonriders Guide to Pern” has a few. These might good resources.

Rithmatist: The cuisine is Korean Fusion NOT Chinese, Japanese, or Thai fusion.

Rosharian gender appropriate foods: Maybe start with the difference between the Sweet-and-Sour and Hot-and-Sour sauces common in Chinese-American dishes.

Mistborn: I get the feeling this is a northern European industrial revolution type cuisine. Try looking up what was popular in England and Germany during the 1700-1850 time frame. For the core framework.

White Sand: Obviously Middle Eastern and North African influence here, but I don’t think many dishes are mentioned

Hadrian: I think Caribbean influence would be a good starting point and fuse it with Brazilian and African Coastal influence.

No idea for Elantris proper. With so many cultures on Sel you might be able to go anywhere. Maybe Thai for Mai-Pon?

Edited by Tsidqiyah

1 hour ago, DroughtBringer said:

Great idea! Do you have any recipes so far?

So far, only skeleton recipes. Which means, I have them in my head, with most ingredients and steps figured out, but I did not calibrate and measure amounts, check all variations, and so forth. For example, the Chouta is described (according to the forum - I have not read the book yet) as a fried flatbread wrap, with a (grain/)vegetable+meat+batter deep-fried balls, and gravy. My skeleton recipe calls for either Malawach or Tortilla, seared somewhat, the balls may be cornmeal, undetermined meat (I want to say vegan substitute, but cost is driven up), and chickpea batter, flavoured mainly by baharat, and gravy that is flavoured similarly and mixed with browned almond stripes. That being said, I do not know more than what was mentioned in the coppermind, so I may be missing signifcant descriptions. Chouta seemed popular among fans, so I am trying while lacking information.

31 minutes ago, Tsidqiyah said:

Rithmatist: The cuisine is Korean Fusion NOT Chinese, Japanese, or Thai fusion.

Rosharian gender appropriate foods: Maybe start with the difference between the Sweet-and-Sour and Hot-and-Sour sauces common in Chinese-American dishes.

Mistborn: I get the felling this is a northern European industrial revolution type cuisine. Try looking up what was popular in England and Germany during the 1700-1850 time frame. For the core framework.

White Sand: Obviously Middle Eastern and North African influence here, but I don’t think many dishes are mentioned

Hadrian: I think Caribbean influence would be a good starting point and fuse it with Brazilian and African Coastal influence.

No idea for Elantris proper though. With so many cultures on Sel you might be able to go anywhere. Maybe Thai for Mai-Pon?

As for the Rithmatist, how do you know that? WoB?

Hadrian... I do not recognise the name. What book is it from?

Thank you for your ideas! I will check what I can. Any quotes or explicit in-universe names for the foods will be helpful.

@Kat Kfir I don't know if there is one. a couple ahead of me at the Unbounded Signing asked something about if the JoSeun were Korean the answer was yes, at least the in book version.

The JoSeun empire that invaded the rest of the world was from Koreo which is the alternate Korea and word Joseun appears to come from a Korean state. Besides that Sanderson served an LDS mission in Korea. 

ok found the right spelling "Hallandren" in Warbreaker (not hadrian how did i miss the L's)

Edited by Tsidqiyah

I don't think anyone's said this yet, there's also the Chouta recipe Brandon linked to on his twitter; I tried it and it's really delicious!  (Lol realized I quoted the title on accident...)  I didn't have a lot of the spices but it was still really good.  I would either double the gravy or half the meatballs though, it makes a TON of meatballs!

• Chaos locked this topic