Breathing in stormlight

Peet

I would like to comment that storm light is in all likelihood a gaseous form of a shard, most likely honor. I think that we are looking at it all wrong though. Just because it is a gas, does not mean you have to inhale to use its power. Vin was sucking in the mists through her skin. I propose that this is similar to how storm light works. Granted Breath (which I believe is the gaseous form of endowment) has to be exhaled and inhaled to be transferred, but the awakened objects can't inhale the breath can they? I think it is just a matter of focus. I imagine the Godking in Warbreaker can awaken with just a thought without the need for breathing. 

Each of the radiants had a different body focus: inhalation, exhalation, the soul, the eyes, the hair, the blood, oil, the nails, the bone, and flesh.

Windrunners would be inhalation, meaning to draw the storm light into their body, they simply inhale but not necessarily inhale it into their lungs, perhaps this is just a process by which to draw the power. I imagine a sky breaker would use exhalation similarly by exhaling where maybe they would create a cognitive low pressure system of investiture so the storm light can be sucked into their body. I bet they hold their breath similarly (or lack of breath) because it keeps the storm light from leaking faster. 

I am not positive on which body focus goes to which order of radiants but what jumps out at me is oil. This might be directly related to oils/ lipids in the body aka body fat. Remind anyone of a certain edge dancer we know that metabolizes her fat and food into storm light? perhaps when she takes in storm light directly she does so by focusing on her body fats and oils.

As to the other body focuses, one may simply have to focus on the body part to draw in the storm light or so to speak. Maybe by thinking spiritually with your soul you draw in storm light, or by focusing on your heart beat and the blood flowing through your body you draw in storm light. To me they all seem plausible. Inhalation and Exhalation just happen to be more of an action body focus rather than a body part. I imagine that the difference in body focus is what determines who is a fighting radiant while the others are scholars (I find a soul body focus hard to imagine fighting)

I could be wrong however because we just know so little about the world of Roshar. We have four mistborn novels to compare our theories too where as we only have one storm light archive still

Cant wait for that to change ;D

Good find Moogle, pairing breathing in with Soulcasting. I wonder why the gems appeared to glow brighter though. I thought breathing in stormlight took it away from the gems. Why would they glow brighter if she was breathing in their stormlight?

That raises another question. Why is the type of gem still important for her soulcasting if she only needs to breathe in stormlight to fuel the transformation?

When Shallan was poisoned with the backbreaker powder, Jasnah says, "I need a garnet" so she could soulcast Shallan's blood to save her.

I wonder what other evidence or explanations we will get in WoR. A couple more weeks!

She's probably inhaling from separate gemstones somewhere else on her. That stormlight would go into her, then out and into the Soulcaster, making it bright. That way, the stormlight is filtered by the gemstone for the correct Soulcasting essence to be produced.

I am not positive on which body focus goes to which order of radiants but what jumps out at me is oil. This might be directly related to oils/ lipids in the body aka body fat. Remind anyone of a certain edge dancer we know that metabolizes her fat and food into storm light? perhaps when she takes in storm light directly she does so by focusing on her body fats and oils.

As to the other body focuses, one may simply have to focus on the body part to draw in the storm light or so to speak. Maybe by thinking spiritually with your soul you draw in storm light, or by focusing on your heart beat and the blood flowing through your body you draw in storm light. To me they all seem plausible. Inhalation and Exhalation just happen to be more of an action body focus rather than a body part. I imagine that the difference in body focus is what determines who is a fighting radiant while the others are scholars (I find a soul body focus hard to imagine fighting)

I could be wrong however because we just know so little about the world of Roshar. We have four mistborn novels to compare our theories too where as we only have one storm light archive still

Cant wait for that to change ;D

All the body focuses and their orders are on the Coppermind. The Elsecallers are the ones with the Oil Focus, and Edgedancers have their eyes as their Body Focus. And remember that Lift is an exception: metabolizing stormlight is a unique ability of hers granted by the Nightwatcher.

There's a WoB that this actually can be done, just like a fabrial. It's a very plausible possibility for how the Southern Scadrialans are able to perform mechanical allomancy.

here is the actual WoB:

Q: On Scadrial, is there a method to invest a piece of metal with mists, similar to how gemstones can be invested with stormlight?

B: Yes.

Q: Did the Lord Ruler employ this method?

B: *hesistantly* Yes.

Q: Do Scadrians on the Southern Continent use this method?

B: RAFO *everybody laughs* Now, I should tell you that in the basic worldbuilding of what’s going on in that making a hemalurgic spike is exactly the same as investing a gemstone.  *mind-blown noice* Same sort of process.  So the answer yes to all those questions could simply be yes because they are making hemalurgy.  They are technically true.

Somebody, Mi’ch/Kendra maybe?: Eric’s going to love that.

B: I have to tell you that because otherwise Peter is going to give me an email like “you told them this?” and I’m like “yah”

(source)

Also as for the Body foci, the are more philosophical constructs than actual "rules" of the magic system:

Question

What is the definition of a focus (in The Way of Kings' Ars Arcanum)?

Brandon Sanderson

Foci, though linked to the magic system, are more like artifacts of the philosophy surrounding the magic system. A focus is a philosophical concept, rather than a hardfast rule related to the magic system. A man-made, artificial way of explaining the magic system. Like the periodic table.

(source)

• Chaos locked this topic