Brandon's intentional reuse of specific phrases.

AbsentKeeper

So, I was browsing for a particular WoB that I remember, but can't find, when I came across this confusing bit from reddit, posted only a week ago.

Apparently, the use of the phrase "____ fell with the rain" is 'consciously and intentionally' reused in various places through out the cosmere.

What do you guys think of this? I can't remember any of these scenes off the top of my head, I'll have to search for them later, but if he's admitted to doing it on purpose, there has to be something here right? :P

Is it foreshadowing for some pivotal scene in the cosmere later? A literary twist we won't get until later, like 'on his arms'? Are there any other similarities between these scenes, other than just that phrase?

Or is Brandon just leading us on, and there really isn't more to it than there is to his use of maldroitly, or his tendency to end sentences with 'I think'?

So many questions from such a simple statement. Sometimes I think being a Sanderson fan is just too much storming work.

Edited by Cowmanthethird

Honestly, I only noticed three instances of falling with the rain in Mistborn: Vin falled with the rain when she and Kelsier fought Inquisitors during their infiltration of Kredik Shaw and then again in Kredik Shaw but during her final battle in Hero Of Ages. Then Wax in the prologue to Bands of Mourning fell with the rain. I assumed those were callbacks.

I don't remember such occurence in Warbreaker, though Kaladin did fall with the rain in Words of Radiance.

Is this a foreshadowing of the Shard of Falling With The Rain?

@Oversleep

Haha I didn't noticed you had already posted in there, I should have known someone would have already seen this over here.

I could see that it was just a throwback to the first Mistborn trilogy in BoM, though the one with Kaladin and (if it exists) the scene in warbreaker don't really fit in with that.

I have no clue though, what this could be specifically foreshadowing. It seems like it really could be anything unless there are other connections between those scenes.

2 hours ago, Cowmanthethird said:

@Oversleep

Haha I didn't noticed you had already posted in there, I should have known someone would have already seen this over here.

I could see that it was just a throwback to the first Mistborn trilogy in BoM, though the one with Kaladin and (if it exists) the scene in warbreaker don't really fit in with that.

I have no clue though, what this could be specifically foreshadowing. It seems like it really could be anything unless there are other connections between those scenes.

Or Brandon just likes this phrase but is conscious about using it, so when it shows up it was intentional?

3 hours ago, Oversleep said:

Or Brandon just likes this phrase but is conscious about using it, so when it shows up it was intentional?

I thought about this, and of course its possible. Writers generally avoid reusing stuff like that though.

Plus, I just like to think Brandon is that sneaky.

• Chaos locked this topic