channeling a shard? "Potential Spoilers"

Nathrangking

I know that to that this has been discussed to an extent, but I'm not sure if this angle has been explored.

Spoiler

When miles hundred lives is executed the required volleys of fire needed to kill him were surprisingly high. Now it is certainly possible that he had swallowed a metal mind which would explain the way in which he heals. The anticipation required to fill them up to such a degree would be quite impressive. I have a theory that maybe whoever this trell character is, funneled a bit of his power as complement to mile's own. This may be similar to what happened when vin tapped the power of preservation to defeat the lord ruler and to beat the inquisitors. 

Does anyone have any proofs or rebuttals to this theory?

52 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

Does anyone have any proofs or rebuttals to this theory

Miles had metalminds piercing his body. 

Metal does not have to be in the stomach to be burned. The fact that he feels no pain, and can heal from pretty much anything makes it very plausible he has metalminds placed inside his body that would have gone undetected which he could then burn. 

It's an interesting idea since all of his external metalminds were removed (unless if they missed something well hidden, I haven't read that scene in a while to really know exactly what happened). It's possible he hid some by swallowing them. But he does seem to channel something akin to Trell in that scene with the big speech he gives before his death. I think you may be at least on a bit of a correct train of thought based on what Brandon has said about Miles before. 

INTERVIEW: Sep 4th, 2014

QUESTION

Miles Hundredlives, is he possessed by a svrakiss from Elantris?

BRANDON SANDERSON

*long pause* That's a RAFO, you are onto something... I wouldn't say possessed, but influenced by something is definitely a possibility. You are not 100% on.

TAGS

INTERVIEW: Feb 12th, 2013

MASON WHEELER

All right. And related to that, sometimes some little concepts kind of... cross worlds. When Miles [from The Alloy of Law] died, who was talking there? Him, or someone else?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Wow, that's a really excellent question. And I'm afraid I'm going to have to RAFO that.

MASON WHEELER

Aww... figures.

TAGS

@Andy92 I don't disagree that something is influencing him, and the ending is very death rattle-esque. I just don't think that his healing in that moment was anything special. 

The man shoved a knife through his arm to free up his hand for Honor's sake... Cutting himself open and putting a metalmind that no one can see in near the bone seems like something he'd do because really, his power kind of makes that easy and obvious. 

2 hours ago, Nathrangking said:

Does anyone have any proofs or rebuttals to this theory?

He was probably tapping or burning internal goldminds that they couldn't get at without cutting him open. 

I think it would very hard for another shard, which isn't of Preservation or Ruin, to supplement Feruchemy as it wouldn't possess the correct type of investiture. Additionally, this means that it would've had to have somehow created a spiritual connection to Miles, which while isn't impossible, would also be a bit complicated if done non-obtrusively. 

4 hours ago, Calderis said:

@Andy92 I don't disagree that something is influencing him, and the ending is very death rattle-esque. I just don't think that his healing in that moment was anything special. 

The man shoved a knife through his arm to free up his hand for Honor's sake... Cutting himself open and putting a metalmind that no one can see in near the bone seems like something he'd do because really, his power kind of makes that easy and obvious. 

Yeah I assumed he has metalminds inside him when I was reading the book for the first time. Just remembered some of those quotes and it made me think the OP's idea isn't completely outside the realm of possibilities. 

One last thing in rebuttal: If Miles had a shard powering him, I don't think he would have "run out". He would have been able to stay there indefinitely. Shards directly influencing things can do a LOT. I'm not saying that a shard other than Ruin or Preservation could have fueled Miles, I'm saying that if it was possible, and a shard had done it, miles wouldn't have died. What purpose would a shard have in keeping someone alive for just a couple extra minutes? Unless it was the speech, but I find that unlikely.

• Chaos locked this topic