The Art of Splintering

TheLordRuler

INTERVIEW: Feb 12th, 2013

AMOL Signing Report - Mason Wheeler (Paraphrased)

MASON WHEELER

You've said that Splintering a shard is essentially the same thing as the shattering of Adonalsium, repeated on a smaller scale.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yeah.

So, essentially, from this WoB, we can determine that the method of Splintering is the same as the original Shattering, and that this will hold true across all levels further down the line too. What I want to know is if the original 16 Shardholders were all present with Hoid at the EXACT moment of Adonalsiums shattering. If so, then wouldn't they all technically know how to splinter/shatter other Shards? 

Spoiler

Why does Khriss say that Ruin doesn't know how to splinter in Mistborn SH?

From the information we have, so far the only Shards who have demonstrated knowledge of Splintering are Odium and Autonomy (their misendeavours on Sel). Why would this be the case?

Extra question: Which non-Shards, that we are aware of, have knowledge of Splintering? Hoid is an obvious pick, but what about Khriss or other 17th Sharders?

Probably because the "technique" to Splinter a Shard is something the Vessels didn't know.

A Shard could end Splintered for multiple reasons. For example if the Vessel dies and nobody pick up the Shard for a while. The Shard could auto-Splinter itself (or search a new Vessel or develop a rudimental mind) so it's possible the original Vessels simply killed Adonalsium and the Shattering was a auto-side effect of this (there is a WoB on the line "Adonalsium shattered because he was killed"). This mean they will not know a specific way to Shatter Adonalsium's Power.

The "Splintering technique" Odium (and maybe other Shards) knows instead targets the power itself to Splinter it...mostly the Vessel dies as result, but the attack is not to the Vessel.

Extra: Cultivation has Splintering knowledge as she saw the Honor's Splintering and learned of that experience

Edited by Yata

1 hour ago, Yata said:

Extra: Cultivation has Splintering knowledge as she saw the Honor's Splintering and learned of that experience

But all the Shards witnessed Adonalsiums shattering, so wouldn't they all already have knowledge on that? I can understand that they probably didn't have the complete knowledge, and Odium probably experimented to perfect his technique, but surely they would have known of the possibility and the risks involved? So how did Odium manage to Splinter 4 Shards? 

2 hours ago, TheLordRuler said:

But all the Shards witnessed Adonalsiums shattering, so wouldn't they all already have knowledge on that? I can understand that they probably didn't have the complete knowledge, and Odium probably experimented to perfect his technique, but surely they would have known of the possibility and the risks involved? So how did Odium manage to Splinter 4 Shards? 

Again first of all for definition when Adonalsium Shattered the Vessel were mortal and without the complete Realmatic Knowledge they have now.

Secondly, we don't know if the Vessels actually Shattered/Splintered Adonalsium or if the Shattering was simply a side effect of Adonalsium's murder (the WoB seems to suggest this scenario by the way).

I will try with an example, you posted a quote from SH so I assume you read it.

IF after Vin's final attack to Ati. Sazed (or someone else) didn't pick up the Shards. Ruin, Preservation or both (or noone to be more precise) could end to auto-splinter themself. But this don't mean Vin had any knowledge about Splintering a Shard.

Returning to your question about Odium and his killing hobby. Odium manages to do everything he could to have some margin over the enemy Shards. For example, He avoid to Invest himself, so He has quite of his power always avaliable....while other Shards Invested some of his powers. You saw how also a bit gap of power could allow one Shard to overpower another.

Of course killing two Shards in a row is a epic feats for him. We know Splintering a Shard is a taxing task and Odium needs to recover after that. Probably something in the Selish's context made this easier to do. It could be helped by another Shard (like someone proposed) or maybe he managed to put D&D one aganist the other and simply killing them in a weakened state...For now we don't know. We don't know either if both or them fight back (Their Intent could prevent themself from defense)

Edited by Yata

7 minutes ago, Yata said:

Again first of all for definition when Adonalsium Shattered the Vessel were mortal and without the complete Realmatic Knowledge they have now.

Secondly, we don't know if the Vessels actually Shattered/Splintered Adonalsium or if the Shattering was simply a side effect of Adonalsium's murder (the WoB seems to suggest this scenario by the way).

I will try with an example, you posted a quote from SH so I assume you read it.

IF after Vin's final attack to Ati Sazed (or someone else) didn't pick up the Shards. Ruin, Preservation or both (or noone to be more precise) could end to auto-splinter themself. But this don't mean Vin had any knowledge about Splintering a Shard.

Ahhh ok, that makes sense. I guess that just was an aspect I didn't consider. Thanks for clearing it up.

16 hours ago, TheLordRuler said:

But all the Shards witnessed Adonalsium's shattering, so wouldn't they all already have knowledge on that?

As an alternate explanation, they may all know what happened to Adonalsium, but the only people who would know that that's what Odium is doing are the people who got killed by him, and they are out of the picture.

Cultivation is the only witness to a Splintering, so she is the only person other than Odium who knows his technique, and maybe she realizes the similarity, maybe she doesn't.

• Chaos locked this topic