Spren in other Worlds

A Joe in the Bush

I've been thinking of this a lot lately (I blame Kurk) and the easiest explanation I can see is that Roshar is unique in that the highstorms weaken the barriers between realms. Shinovar has no spren, and it also doesn't get highstorms. Kaladin seems to temporarily visit the Cognitive during a highstorm.

On top of what Moogle said, it may be also that there is a lot more investiture native to Roshar's atmosphere. WoB says spren became more active/empowered with Honor's shattering. My guess is they could only survive in places like Roshar. Sel being a prime example of having two shattered shards... I believe. In that regard I believe spren and seons would get along swimmingly considering how similar they are.

Now I want to ask Brian what happens when a Cryptic and Seon walk into a Bar.

Well, we've also got to wonder, WoB is that Adonalsium left spren on Roshar, no clue as to what spren, but that a bunch of other spren are post-Honor-splintering phenomena. So why couldn't he have left spren on other worlds? I think that many spren are a result of Honor's splintering, so maybe the Seons are a result of Devotion's splintering? Perhaps they -are- actually the equivalent of spren. Who knows, but this suggests that Spren should be able to exist on other worlds, if Adonalsium could leave them behind on Roshar, why not Sel?

The fact that spren do not exist in Shinovar and that they can be captured in gems leads me to think they're unique to Roshar. Possible explanation: highstorms seem to partially break down the barrier between the Physical and Cognitive. Spren are born of human ideas. It's possible that these ideas can only come about because the minds in the Physical realm are closer to the Cognitive.

Each Shardworld seems to have its own quirks. Why is metal on Scadrial special, and gemstones special on Roshar? When we get enough information to answer that, I think we'll know whether or not spren could arise on other planets.

In regard to the question if there could be spren on other worlds I'd like to throw in a quote from BS:

Wetlander: Please explain what you will about shards and splintering and slivers.

A: An event happened long ago which destroyed something called Adonalsium into 16 pieces. And 16 people took up that power.

Q: People?

A: I call all intelligent species people. If someone takes up the power and lets go of it, it has the effect much like a balloon that’s been stretched and then the air is let out. I call that a sliver; based off of TLR calling himself the Sliver of Infinity. TLR is someone who held the power and then released it. And so, current slivers are TLR, Kelsier, and there may be others around who at one point held the power and let go of it. A splinter is a term used by certain people in the cosmere for power of Adonalsium which has no person caring for it, no…no person holding it, which has attained self-awareness.

Wetlander: So is that like the mists and the Well? Are they…

A: They are not, because they have not attained self-awareness. But, the Seons are self-aware. So, any piece, for instance there were some spren on Roshar before Honor and Cultivation got there. Those were already splinters of Adonalsium where he had left power which attained sentience on its own. So, it can be intentional is what I am saying, does that make sense? You have seen other splinters.

Wetlander: Are the highstorms related to the splintering of Honor? (Brandon spoke over the word Honor in starting his response)

A: The highstorms are more related to the mist from Mistborn which terminology we have not discussed yet. (also affirmed the well as being similar). You have seen splinters quite a bit on various planets.

source

I think spren are unique to Roshar because every Shardworld has it's unique "identity" and soul.

Nepene:

7) Do cosmere planets have a soul, like in final fantasy?

BS:

7) Yes

source

Though I've never played Final Fantasy I think (and hope) the term "soul" doesn't have an entire different meaning there than usual.

This would mean that each planet has it's own soul making it unique.

So I'd assume that spren are unique to Roshar, but there might be "Splinters of Adonalsium" around on the other planets, too, though not being spren. I could imagine that Adonalsium visited other planets, too, and left splinters of himself there.

Does this make sense?

• Chaos locked this topic