Regarding Oathgates

Cloak

On the day when Dalinar became bondsmith, he saw the oathgate on shattered plains flashing and saw Highprince Hatham arriving.
But how did Hatham got the oathgate to work?

I suppose Shallan said it could be opened by only Radiants : first the lanterns in that room must be infused with stormlight and the portal can be worked by only spren-shardblade. Both Kaladin and Shallan, as of yet revealed Radiants, were still in the tower. So who let Hatham in through an oathgate?  

In fact not just Hatham, but Elhokar, Sadeas and all those people who came to the city. How exactly they got in? I can't imagine Kaladin and Shallan standing at the gate like guards for an entire week, opening the portal for incoming people Or did they come by some other route than oathgate? Or did Shallan figure out how to work the portal without Radiants' power? Though I cannot remember reading that one.

Besides any other route is more or less impossible because we know for sure that urithiru is not an althlea, and no one even knows it's location anyway.
I don't think Shallan figured out a new way either, it will be waaaaay too fast. The only thing I can think of is what you said you can't imagine. Kaladin and Shallan taking large groups of people together at pre-specified times. Like public transport.

I am probably being way too stupid, but that is the only answer I can come up with.

2 minutes ago, Cloak said:

On the day when Dalinar became bondsmith, he saw the oathgate on shattered plains flashing and saw Highprince Hatham arriving.
But how did Hatham got the oathgate to work?

I suppose Shallan said it could be opened by only Radiants : first the lanterns in that room must be infused with stormlight and the portal can be worked by only spren-shardblade. Both Kaladin and Shallan, as of yet revealed Radiants, were still in the tower. So who let Hatham in through an oathgate?  

In fact not just Hatham, but Elhokar, Sadeas and all those people who came to the city. How exactly they got in? I can't imagine Kaladin and Shallan standing at the gate like guards for an entire week, opening the portal for incoming people Or did they come by some other route than oathgate? Or did Shallan figure out how to work the portal without Radiants' power? Though I cannot remember reading that one.

Welcome to the shard! Could some one get this guy a cookie? And yes that is exactly what shallan was doing. Or she lent out pattern as a shardblade to open up the gate. Kaladin is probably less likely to have done that, in my opinion

1 hour ago, The Flash said:

Welcome to the shard! Could some one get this guy a cookie? And yes that is exactly what shallan was doing. Or she lent out pattern as a shardblade to open up the gate. Kaladin is probably less likely to have done that, in my opinion

Shallan can lend pattern, but what about infusing lanterns with stormlight? I guess that was the reason that only Radiants could do that. Only radiants can transfer stormlight from one sphere to another afaik. 

2 hours ago, Cloak said:

Shallan can lend pattern, but what about infusing lanterns with stormlight? I guess that was the reason that only Radiants could do that. Only radiants can transfer stormlight from one sphere to another afaik. 

You know what. I have no idea. Ask somebody higher up in the pecking order. 

3 hours ago, Cloak said:

While I agree with others that Shallan and Kaladin were most likely acting as ferrymen for others, I wanted to address this point. 

We know that there are fabrials for removing Stormlight from gemstones. They were mentioned in relation to Sadeas' rings when he surprised Adolin after Adolin and Shallan's highstorm date I believe. If they have a fabrial designed to drain Stormlight from a gem, I'd honestly be surprised if moving that Stormlight to another gem is beyond their capabilities.

I don't believe that this was needed for the end of WoR, but I also don't think it's beyond Artifabrian abilities. 

47 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

It could've been Kaladin. The entire conversation with the Stormfather happened between Dalinar seeing the people arrive and him seeing Kaladin, so Kaladin could've transported them then flown up to the top of the tower.

Thank you. Knew there was an explanation but after taking an AP test it just wasn't coming Lol

• Chaos locked this topic