Spren & Radiants

Did anyone else feel Wyndle implied that he was originally going to be bonded to Ym? I thought that each order had a specific type of spren (i.e. honorspren, inkspren, liespren), but I seem to remember Wyndle stating he was supposed to be bonded to 'a nice cobbler from Iri' or something like that, which would obviously match Ym perfectly. But based off the combination of powers he was developing (Progression & Illumination) he appeared to be turning into a Truthwatcher, not an Edgedancer. Is it possible that cultivationspren can bond with both of these Orders? Or am I just misinterpreting what I read in Edgedancer completely?

Sorry for no quote, I should probably be working instead of posting Stormlight questions...

I believe  the general idea is that Ym was a rare individual that attracted the attention of several types spren. But ultimately he was bonded to become a truthwatcher, and Wyndle was sent to Lift. Considering truthwatchers and edgedancers seem to have some overlap in attributes, it does not seem a crazy idea that 2 "neighboring" spren would check out the same person.

Well Edgedancers and Truthwatchers share the ability of Progression, which in my opinion seems the most inherent 'Cultivation' ability when compared to Abrasion (Edgedancers) or Illumination (Truthwatchers). That is part of why I am curious if cultivationspren may bond with both Orders. I may need to look back to the scene at the end of WoR where Renarin reveals he is a Radiant and has a spren.

Yeah, this was an observation that caused some dissension when the novella was first released, and someone asked for clarification from Brandon on the AU tour. Best I recall, the spren that Ym had bonded was that of a Truthwatcher, But, he was also being evaluated as a potential Edgedancer; he fit the qualities of both Orders, and it wound up that the Truthwatcher spren was the one he eventually bonded with. If he had bonded Wyndle, he would have had access to a different Surge (in addition to Progression, which both Orders share).

27 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Yeah, this was an observation that caused some dissension when the novella was first released, and someone asked for clarification from Brandon on the AU tour. Best I recall, the spren that Ym had bonded was that of a Truthwatcher, But, he was also being evaluated as a potential Edgedancer; he fit the qualities of both Orders, and it wound up that the Truthwatcher spren was the one he eventually bonded with. If he had bonded Wyndle, he would have had access to a different Surge (in addition to Progression, which both Orders share).

Pagerunner is completely correct. 

Relevent WoBs:

INTERVIEW: Dec 3rd, 2016

Little City Books-AU Tour (Paraphrased)

TED HERMAN

Ym is confirmed to not be an Edgedancer. Does that mean that he would have become a Truthwatcher?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

TAGS

INTERVIEW: Nov 30th, 2016

Borderlands SF-AU Tour (Paraphrased)

QUESTION

Do Ym, Stump belong to Edgedancer? Will we see Stump again in the future?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Ym is not an Edgedancer. You will see Stump in the future novels though you may not see Tashikki much again.

FOOTNOTE

Peter Ahlstrom added this commentary in a facebook chat: "Both types of spren were initially considering Ym. I thought that was obvious. Add at the end: That's my interpretation of Wyndle's comments." This is in reference to Wyndle saying to Lift that he was considering bonding a cobbler who is nice to children.

TAGS

Edited by Iron Eyes

• 2 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic