Alright! I'm new to the 17th shard, and for my very first topic I thought that I would propose something we would all have fun with. Which kind of surgebinder would you be and how would you use your powers in OUR world!? Would you be a graceful yet erratic Edgedancer slicking around skateparks, a Lightweaver,using your powers of illusion strictly for good (I would steal only one cookie.) Or a Windrunner, gravity itself at your beck and call.

Keep in mind, surgebinder, not Radiant. You aren't bound by pesky morals and obligatory oaths!

Yeah, flight has always been a dream of mine, so I would totally go for WIndrunner. And that's ignoring the fact that I could use it to annoy people who get on my nerves by binding them to the ground. Just to make it a bit harder to walk for a few minutes.

Of course, that's also ignoring the fact that I am horribly scared of heights, and can't look up at a chapel ceiling without getting vertigo. I blame being dropped on my head too much as a baby.

And one thing about it, do we still need stormlight to use the abilities? Because if so, then we can't use any of them, but if not, then I could pull the moon into the earth if I wanted. So is there any kind of limit there?

Personally, I believe that lightweaving has so much more potential than the other surgebinding abilities, but my question is are we allowed to combine any two random surges, even if there is no radiant with that specific combination, or does it have to be one of the orders? Anyways, any two surges would be lightweaving and gravitation. This combination would be just unstoppable. If I had to pick an order, I would want to be an elsecaller. Most connected to other realms. 

I'd choose to be a Truthwatcher. Being able to see the future has so much practical applications in our modern day world. I mean, I'd be able to see future stock prices, make a hell lot of money from gambling and lotteries and from politicians who want to know whether or not they will win elections. In addition to this already godlike ability, I'd have the surges of Illumination and Progression to do fun stuff with. 

Oh! I just realized something! Will I, as a Truthwatcher, be able to read all of Brandon Sanderson's future books right now? It should be possible, right? 

Edited by Zennix

Elsecaller would probably be the most practical in modern day life - transportation to get around super quick, assumedly faster than flying when properly mastered AND transformation to turn rubbish into useful things, modern society makes so much rubbish...

On the other hand for the fun factor Skybreaker for flight + destruction.... :)

(really looking forward to seeing the Division surge used in the series - here's hoping that Adolin becomes a Releaser/Dustbringer)

I would either be an edgedancer  or a lightweaver. I really love the idea of friction manipulation, but I think being a lightweaver would be much more practical. It would be so much easier to avoid the majority of the human race!

(Judgemental people, at least, you guys are great)

If I were a herald bound by those pesky laws I know for a fact that I would be a Stonewarden. My own morality pretty much binds me to the I'll stand when others fall mentality anyway. I take pride in my dependability. However if I could choose to be a certain type of Surgebinder, I would probably choose Lightweaver. Illusions can be so much fun. I wouldn't enjoy flying as I have an aversion to heights.

Elsecallers take the cake. Who needs to fly when you can just get where you are going instantly! Journey before destination? Pfft!

Beyond that, Elsecallers can teleport and soulcast stuff from the CR, so I can get up to all sorts of shenanigans with that. It's like Tel'aran'rhiod (did I spell that right?...) on roids. Plus, soulcasting = get rich quick. "Oh, you want some super enriched uranium? Feed me! Gold? No problem!"

1 hour ago, axcellence said:

Edgedancer... I'd not have to worry about my weight then.  Just burn all the kilojoules by glowing.

Only if we are on earth since there's no stormlight so we'd have to be able to use food, but on roshar, I imagine a chubby edgedancer would be known as the STORMBALL (instead of stormwall!)

*Dies of laughter at bad puns*

I'd have to go with one of the healing Orders.  Being hurt sucks, so being able to heal pretty much anything would be pretty darn awesome.  I don't think I really care which Order, though.  I'm just all-in on Regrowth.

My second choice would probably be Soulcasting, because transforming random stuff seems cool and useful.  Not nearly as cool and useful as instantaneous healing, but still cool and useful.  Probably Jasnah's Order, since taking shortcuts through the Cognitive realm seems more useful than illusions and stuff.

1 hour ago, galendo said:

I'd have to go with one of the healing Orders.  Being hurt sucks, so being able to heal pretty much anything would be pretty darn awesome.  I don't think I really care which Order, though.  I'm just all-in on Regrowth.

My second choice would probably be Soulcasting, because transforming random stuff seems cool and useful.  Not nearly as cool and useful as instantaneous healing, but still cool and useful.  Probably Jasnah's Order, since taking shortcuts through the Cognitive realm seems more useful than illusions and stuff.

But the Lightweaving includes the entire wave spectrum not just light and sound. Microwave! I'm still sticking with Stoneward. Tension and Cohesion are probably going to be amaingly badass.

Good question! Honestly I would like to have the surge of regrowth. To be able to heal people would be very fulfilling. But if I'm talking money in this day and age it would have to be light weaver or elsecaller because they can soulcast. Talk about a useful power!