Shadesmar Beads

Sherwin94

Hi guys, after reading Words of Radiance and learning more about Shadesmar, I've got a cool theory (hopefully) on the potential of Shadesmar in Roshar and what we could see in the future books of The Stormlight Archive. 

In the prologue, Jasnah enters Shadesmar and realizes that each bead represents an object (a statue, a cup, etc.) and then she discovers an ancient bead representing the entire palace itself and uses that bead to formulate the palace hallway (the book mentions she was "not strong enough" to re-create the entire palace), she also used the statue bead to recreate and move the Talenel statue's sword when confronting Ivory. This kinda feels like a glimpse of what cognitive realm battles in the future could be like. Moreover, if there could be an ancient bead representing the palace, what about a bead representing the entire Roshar super-continent or even the Roshar planet or the entire Rosharan System or the Cosmere itself? I know it may be a bit of a stretch but we have WoB on how Roshar is unique/special and a key on Shadesmar, which adds to my theory. If someone has enough power/Investiture and could use that Roshar bead to manipulate things, the potential is enormous and epic. 

Do let me know your views, this is only my 2nd theory here and I am open to any opinions, thanks!! :)

Given how the cognitive realm on Scadrial is not beads, I don't think there's one for the Cosmere or even the Roshar system. I suppose there could be one for the planet of Roshar, but it'd be buried under all of the other beads of everything else on the planet. So if it does exist, I see it as unreachable.

As for this WoB, I'd like to see it if you have a link handy. Specific wording and context gives us all kinds of clues to use.

Hmm that makes sense, i was thinking more along the lines of Roshar being the central/core point in Shadesmar.

For the WoB, it's here: http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kw=key+in+shadesmar

QUESTION

It feels like Roshar is-- has an essence, where it’s like a prism, you can see all the rest of them, due to the nature of the Cognitive Realm and the spren’s ideas, Cognitive things coming to light. Have I spent too much time looking at the Shard?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No, you are on the right path. Of all the things you noted, that one is the one that is perhaps the most important.

QUESTION

The prism idea.

BRANDON SANDERSON

The idea that Roshar is special and a key on Shadesmar.

There very well may be a bead representing the planet or system of Roshar, particularly given that every sentient being in the system / on the planet has a strong connection to and conception of Roshar. However, beyond the problem of reaching it in the sea of beads, which is probably doable to someone with the requisite skill in manipulating the environment in shadesmar, the bigger problem is how much investiture would actually be required. This feat would probably be even harder than when Leras and Ati created Scadrial, as Rosher would clearly have a very strong "inertia", or desire to continue existing as currenrly perceived by the millions of minds connected to it, beyond even that of Stick himself.

Therefore, even if such a bead were to exist, and even if it were able to be reached in shadesmar, it would probably require a quantity of investiture sufficient to cause the bearer to ascend to shardhood, which can probably only be obtained by claiming a shard.

• Chaos locked this topic