The two figures in the storm

Humpty

So do we know who or what the two figures Kaladin saw in the storm are? This probably has been covered already but I couldn't find the post.  I was thinking they were two of the unmade. Moalach and Narghoul or however you spell their names. Has there been any WOB's on this subject? Or did he just RAFO everything?

Both times when Kaladin has had to survive a Highstorm outside, he finds himself in an area of unnatural calm. Is the eye of the Highstorm not entirely in the physical realm? I've had this feeling that the calm area pulls people into Shadesmar, at least a little…

A: This is not 100% physical realm.

Source

Other spren, like Pattern and Ivory, look very different in the Cognitive Realm than they do in the Physical Realm. I think everyone agrees these are spren of some sort, but we're not sure exactly what kind of spren they are. I suspect these are honorspren or possibly the Stormfather himself, as opposed to the Unmade. But the door is open for a lot of possibilities.

They are most likely unmade attracted to Narak by the Parshendi adopting stormform.

I'm fairly sure that the second figure is Re-Shephir.  It's described as "Alien and Sleek", which is telling.

From the Way of King chapter 58 epitaph:

“Re-Shephir, the Midnight Mother, giving birth to abominations with her essence so dark, so terrible, so consuming. She is here! She watches me die!”

So she basically is confirmed to spawn the Midnight Essences.  And looking at the appearance of the Midnight Essences on Coppermind, they are described as " The Midnight Essence's skin was smooth, slick, black, and reflective.[1] It had six extremely thin legs that were bent at the sides with clawed paws. The Midnight Essence's body seemed almost fluid, with a long and flexible neck and sharp teeth that appeared like knives."

Definitely seems "Alien and Sleek" to me.  Kind of gives me a pseudo-xenomorph vibe.

Edited by Patrick Star

• Chaos locked this topic