Surgebinding Spren

Isla_Vezrian

So I don't know if this just me or what but has anybody noticed that Syl is like the windspren but actually an honorspren, and Kaladin is doing the same surgebinding that a WINDrunner would do. I just thought it was interesting how the names connected. Have we learned what type all the other Nahel bonding spren are yet? Because we know Pattern is a Cryptic, we know Ivory is an Inkspren, and Wyndle is a Cultivationspren, but what about the others? Also, is Dalinar a unique case in bonding to the Stormfather? I know there have always been few bondsmiths but there is only one stormfather. 

Sidenote: How many windspren are actually honorspren? In the beginning of The Way of Kings, Kaladin says that windspren often stick people's shoe to the ground to trip them or make it so they can't pull something apart. This makes me think surgebinding like adhesion but I thought only a few windspren were actually honorspren and therefore should not be able to do surge-like things.

As far as windspren vs honorspren; I got the impression that Syl only popped over to the physical to bind with Kal, otherwise she would have stayed in the cognitive.  So I would assume the number is pretty close to 0.  

They are pretty closely related, hence the confusion.

Windspren and honorspren are fairly close. We don't know what the other type of nahel bond spren are. There are maximum three bondsmiths and they each bond a different spren the Stormfather being one of them, or presumably the Rider of the Storm from before the Recreance. 

All spren are small bits of power. No reason why they cannot bind surges to a small degree on their own. The surges are not a concept linked only to the nahel bond spren; rather, the nahel bond spren are the only ones who bond with humans in order to give them the power to surgebind. The surges are just specific underlying mechanisms of the Cosmere, which have received special attention on Roshar, likely due to the fact that they are manipulated by surgebinding. If surgebinding didn't exist, then the surges wouldn't be anything special, as gravity wouldn't be anything special over tension, for example.

I have a question I'm sure you guys can help me with. So we can assume that the Stormfather was bonded before the Recreance, and obviously wasn't affected (much) by what happened, unlike the other bonded spren. Does that mean he can't "die" (or kinda die, since wie assume that spren don't really die either) because he's a cognitive shadow? Or wasn't he betrayed?

Edit: I just realize.. he can't have been a cognitive shadow before Honors shattering, can he. So he probably wasn't at the time of the Recreance. 

Edited by Spark

We know that Emotional-Non-Concrete Spren are different fundamentally from Physical Concrete Spren:

However, it seems like certain Spren work in pairs to help a Surgebinder. We also know that the Spren 'decided' which Honorblade they would mimic, and so this combination could be somewhat arbitrary. The spren actively figured out how to mimic honorblades and surgebinding. WoR mentions the Spren deciding the matter openly. 

It is also believed that Concrete Spren (physical noun Spren) are influenced more by Cultivation and that Non-Concrete Spren  are more influenced by Honor. This is likely because Honor focuses more on Abstract ideas and Cultivation is more physically grounded. 

_______

Kaladin seems to have Wind Spren and Honorspren  (Honour being non-concrete and wind being concrete). (Kaladin is more of Honor)

Shallan seems to have Lie(truth) Spren and Creativity Spren. (Lie's being Concrete things and Creativity being a more abstract concept).Shallan is more of Cultivation as her bonded Spren is more of Cultivation. 

4 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

We know that Emotional-Non-Concrete Spren are different fundamentally from Physical Concrete Spren:

However, it seems like certain Spren work in pairs to help a Surgebinder. We also know that the Spren 'decided' which Honorblade they would mimic, and so this combination could be somewhat arbitrary. The spren actively figured out how to mimic honorblades and surgebinding. WoR mentions the Spren deciding the matter openly. 

It is also believed that Concrete Spren (physical noun Spren) are influenced more by Cultivation and that Non-Concrete Spren  are more influenced by Honor. This is likely because Honor focuses more on Abstract ideas and Cultivation is more physically grounded. 

_______

Kaladin seems to have Wind Spren and Honorspren  (Honour being non-concrete and wind being concrete). (Kaladin is more of Honor)

Shallan seems to have Lie(truth) Spren and Creativity Spren. (Lie's being Concrete things and Creativity being a more abstract concept).Shallan is more of Cultivation as her bonded Spren is more of Cultivation. 

Hmm, that's a connection I never noticed before!

9 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Windspren and honorspren are fairly close. We don't know what the other type of nahel bond spren are. There are maximum three bondsmiths and they each bond a different spren the Stormfather being one of them, or presumably the Rider of the Storm from before the Recreance. 

All spren are small bits of power. No reason why they cannot bind surges to a small degree on their own. The surges are not a concept linked only to the nahel bond spren; rather, the nahel bond spren are the only ones who bond with humans in order to give them the power to surgebind. The surges are just specific underlying mechanisms of the Cosmere, which have received special attention on Roshar, likely due to the fact that they are manipulated by surgebinding. If surgebinding didn't exist, then the surges wouldn't be anything special, as gravity wouldn't be anything special over tension, for example.

Ohhhh, that makes a lot of sense. I think Syl has said that spren only follow the laws of physics because if they didn't they would break the human's brain. So spren can do things similar to surges but maybe they don't do anything too crazy because they don't have a bonded human and/or they don't want to "break" the humans brains. That being said, what surges can spren use and which types can use them? Windspren can use adhesion to stick small objects together, but are there any other examples of regular non-nahel spren using any other of the know surge abilities? I can't think of any off the top of my head right now.

• Chaos locked this topic