Nightblood and Spren's

Teslanial

So I was at a signing recently for Arcanum Unbounded and during it Brandon Sanderson said (sort of candidly and I can't think of the exact quote) that Spren do not yet know of how to "revive" the Spren that are in shardblades but making it clear that it was possible. He has also said that Nightblood is the equivalent of a spren. My question is, if spren can be revived out of their blades then could Nightblood be "awoken" in a similar manner? And if so what the ramifications of that might be?

Isn't Nightblood already awake? He seems conscious, and very talkative. 

The biggest difference between him and a living blade-spren (like Pattern or Syl) is that Nightblood is permanently in sword form. But he doesn't seem to mind that much. 

Edited by Belzedar

Night blood is already awoken. That is how he has sentience (although it is somewhat limited). It may be possible to somehow grow his ability to understand like Nahel bonded spren but maybe not.

Reviving shardblades is different because by severing the Nahel bond during the Recreance, those spren seemingly lost their sentience (like Syl was beginning to near the end) but were then also locked in the form of their blades. They were therefore unable to interact and also unable to return to the Cognitive Realm.

I think when Brandon said that Nightblood is the equivalent of a spren, he meant that Nightblood is holding a splinter and that bonding it could grant enhancements to the person.

There is no need to awaken Nightblood, nor do I think any parallels can be drawn to awakening it. It is already a splinter with a degree of sentience and possibly sapience.

I mean more along the lines of nightbloods essence being able to weild its self out of the sword. Kind of how, for example, Syl runs around and does her own thing when not in sword(or spear) form for kaladin. 

Edited by Teslanial

2 hours ago, Teslanial said:

I mean more along the lines of nightbloods essence being able to weild its self out of the sword. Kind of how, for example, Syl runs around and does her own thing when not in sword(or spear) form for kaladin. 

As other already said, Nightblood is already equal to a living spren.

About your "weild its self out of the sword". The Sword is Nightblood's body and it see himself as a sword, I don't think is possible to Nighblood to change this...other than rip apart Nightblood itself (probably undoing the Awakening)

Yeah, Nightblood may not be able to move around by himself like some spren but he is rediculously more powerful in many other ways. He may even be able to 'weild' himself more easily than other spren in terms of using that power without someone to direct him (just think about how you might use him). There may even be other spren that have a similar inability to move themselves as we have not really met many of the other radiant order spren.

It might be possible to create something more similar to Rosharan spren we know through awakening but Vasher isn't likely to want to try it.

Edited by nervousnerd

• Chaos locked this topic