Szeth and Returned

wildbuc117

Question

12 answers to this question

I don't see any reason why he would need a constantly flow of investiture and would be like a Returned, unless you're referring to the fact that his cognitive shadow has been artificially stuck back into his body? Returned isn't a phenomenon which occurs as a result of being on Nalthis so I don't see any reason why someone similar to what they are going there would undergo any changes to be more like them. In any case, the only similarities are that they've had their cognitive shadows stuck back into their bodies, though Szeth's was done in a lot poorer of a manner.

1 hour ago, wildbuc117 said:

If Szeth son son Vallano went to Nalthis, how similar to the returned would he be?  Would he have to consume a soul every week?

I'd say no, because the Returned have to consume souls to stay alive, while Szeth does not need a constant flow of Investiture to remain living (both he and Kaladin go without it at certain points).

1 hour ago, Jedal said:

I'd say no, because the Returned have to consume souls to stay alive, while Szeth does not need a constant flow of Investiture to remain living (both he and Kaladin go without it at certain points).

Yeah, I think the only reason he would need to use breaths is if he were to use his honorblade. But since he has Nightblood now, that doesn't even apply.

Edited by KereDerek

1 hour ago, KereDerek said:

Yeah, I think the only reason he would need to use breaths is if he were to use his honorblade. But since he has Nightblood now, that doesn't even apply.

Although, it would be useful to have breaths because then he would be able to draw Nightblood and have the chances to bond it.

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Although, it would be useful to have breaths because then he would be able to draw Nightblood and have the chances to bond it.

Yeah, I don't think in Szeths current mindset he would be able to go through with the method for obtaining Breaths. 

4 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

I don't see any reason why he would need a constantly flow of investiture and would be like a Returned, unless you're referring to the fact that his cognitive shadow has been artificially stuck back into his body? Returned isn't a phenomenon which occurs as a result of being on Nalthis so I don't see any reason why someone similar to what they are going there would undergo any changes to be more like them. In any case, the only similarities are that they've had their cognitive shadows stuck back into their bodies, though Szeth's was done in a lot poorer of a manner.

Yea, this was basically my thought process for it.  With Edgedancer and a WOB somewhere that said that someone looking at Vasher, if they were filled with enough investiture, would see a similar effect as Lyft did looking at Szeth.  The main reason I think this might not be possible is that Szeth is not affected the same way as it is implied Vasher will be by the Everstorm.

Edited by wildbuc117

25 minutes ago, KereDerek said:

Yeah, I don't think in Szeths current mindset he would be able to go through with the method for obtaining Breaths. 

What do you mean by that?

19 minutes ago, wildbuc117 said:

Yea, this was basically my thought process for it.  With Edgedancer and a WOB somewhere that said that someone looking at Vasher, if they were filled with enough investiture, would see a similar effect as Lyft did looking at Szeth.  The main reason I think this might not be possible is that Szeth is not affected the same way as it is implied Vasher will be by the Everstorm.

When was this implied about Vasher?

3 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Interesting. Do you also have a source for the WoB that someone would see an similar afterimage with a Returned?

Ahhh... must've misread this the first time I saw it. So this kinda basically makes my initial question moot I guess.

On 12/2/2016 at 3:07 AM, Wetlander said:

Wow, was I ever wrong about the size of the crowd tonight! I figured for a collection like this, that big church would maybe be half full or so. Nope. When I got there almost a half-hour before the signing, it was about 2/3 full, and by 7, it was filled up. Not to the "standing room only" point, we could have squished together quite a bit more, but I was stunned at how many people were there!

Also, many thanks to Angie for bringing her fully-charged phone to record. I accidentally left my own recorder at home, and had to leave by about 9:30 anyway. But it was a marvy evening.

Also: the Returned on Nalthis are cognitive shadows, shoved into and firmly attached to their dead bodies by virtue of that enormous "divine Breath" they're given. And Szeth is not a cognitive shadow; his real soul was returned to his body... it just isn't sticking very well. Hence the afterimages.

1 minute ago, wildbuc117 said:

Ahhh... must've misread this the first time I saw it. So this kinda basically makes my initial question moot I guess.

That's what I thought it said. No matters, still plenty tof think about regarding Vasher being affected by the Everstorm slightly. Probsbly won't come into play though since I doubt his existence as a Returned will be touched on.

Just now, Spoolofwhool said:

That's what I thought it said. No matters, still plenty tof think about regarding Vasher being affected by the Everstorm slightly. Probsbly won't come into play though since I doubt his existence as a Returned will be touched on.

Also, this is where I have gotten a lot of new information recently: https://www.reddit.com/r/Cosmere/comments/5li5yl/all_monthly_wob_roundup_december_2016/