new and in search of next book suggestions!

dorkspren

Hi all - I just finished WoK and WoR, haven't read any other Sanderson yet but am planning on it. I'm hooked on the SA series and thought I'd get caught up on fan theories while waiting for the next book, but it immediately became clear how many details I missed in the first two!! Oh well, guess that means I have some researching and perhaps re-reading to do :D

If anyone happens to read this and has an opinion on what other Sanderson I should read next, please let me know!

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you here :) 

Extesian pretty much covered all of the bases. I can grab the links to the free online editions of Emperor's Soul and Warbreaker, if you like. I'd reccomend Mistborn, though. As you read the rest of his books, watch out for someone named Hoid. You'd know him as Wit from SA. Warbreaker is important to read to understand the full impact of a reveal in WoR, so I'd reccomend reading through that before your reread. Hope this helped! :) 

Since you started with the Stormlight Archive, my book suggestions would be the following (in order):

1. Elantris (the Tenth Anniversary edition) - Reason: It enhances rereads of WoK (I won't tell you why :P), is standalone, and is way better than the original Elantris edition.

2. The original Mistborn trilogy and the Wax and Wayne books - If you like the scenes of Windrunners flying around, you'll love Mistborn. There are also (small) connections with stuff that happens in SA that will enhance rereads.

3. Warbreaker - This one is standalone, free to read online, and has some significant connections with events that happen in SA. I recommend reading this after the Mistborn books above so the memory of the events from the book will be fresher when you move to the next part.

4. At this point I'd recommend you reread WoR again, then move on to... Arcanum Unbounded - This short story collection contains Edgedancer, which is set on Roshar and features characters that you've met earlier. Another entry in the collection is Mistborn: Secret History, which you might want to read if you liked the Mistborn novels. Sixth of the Dusk, another entry, has story elements that you might recognize from Mistborn. Aside from all that, there are a couple of stories set on the world of Elantris, and you can also read excerpts of the first White Sand graphic novel and decide whether you want to read the whole thing. And before I forget, the book also contains a lot of stuff about the in-universe character who writes the Ars Arcanum of the cosmere books.
Edited by skaa
added link to Warbreaker

8 hours ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

I'd read Mistborn next--it's a great series, and the theoretical "backbone" of the Cosmere along with Stormlight and Dragonsteel.

After that @dorkspren, I'd read Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Arcanum Unbounded. In order for you to have some extra energy to get through this reading, @dorkspren have some complimentary cookies and upvotes!

(DISCLAIMER: THE DARK ALLEY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SOUL DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR. COOKIES MAY CONTAIN PEWTER, STEEL, IRON, OR BRONZE. NO NON-HUMANS WERE HARMED IN THE CREATION OF THESE COOKIES.)

thOA7GDP31.jpg

7 hours ago, dorkspren said:

Thanks so much everyone! @DarkJester I have read the first two Kingkiller and really liked them. I should read the novella.

If you want to read the novella, try and get it from the library. Even rothfuss said it wasn't something many people would like. It is different. I liked it better the second time I read it and understood what it actually was. (It gives you a behind the scenes  look at a certain day from Auri's POV.) It's different. If you were still wanting something short by him, he has a story centered around Bast that's really quite good. It's in a book of short stories about rogues, aptly named "Rogues". It was actually the book that he was writing Auri's story for, and it just ran too long. So he decided to do one for Bast. I can't say that Bast is my favorite character in KKC, but he is one of them, and this story gives you a peek into the daily life of Bast. It's quite enjoyable, and you get the rest of the book filled with short rogue based stories as a bonus. Some are quite good. 

12 hours ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Uh-oh. Better start running before someone less...forgiving...catches wind of this...

@Turos I SWEAR RECKONERS IS NOT COSMERE! HOW MANY TIMES DOES THIS HAVE TO BE EXPLAINED! IT HAS BEEN EXPLICITLY STATED MULTIPLE TIMES! WHY DOES THIS STILL HAVE TO BE EXPLAINED!

(HAVE I USED CAPS LOCK LONG ENOUGH?)

On 1/12/2017 at 11:11 AM, Secrets said:

@Turos I SWEAR RECKONERS IS NOT COSMERE! HOW MANY TIMES DOES THIS HAVE TO BE EXPLAINED! IT HAS BEEN EXPLICITLY STATED MULTIPLE TIMES! WHY DOES THIS STILL HAVE TO BE EXPLAINED!

Hmm. I think you're on to something here. Not sure what it all means, but definitely on to somehting.

On January 12, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Secrets said:

No, it is. Trust me. Why? Well, Brandon isn't even going to write Mistborn Era 4. Scadrial is becoming increasingly like Earth. And so, at the end of Era 3, it will be revealed that Calamity has came to Scadrial, or Earth. Really, Era 4 will just be the Reckoners trilogy. 

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:56 PM, Assassin in Burgundy said:

No, it is. Trust me. Why? Well, Brandon isn't even going to write Mistborn Era 4. Scadrial is becoming increasingly like Earth. And so, at the end of Era 3, it will be revealed that Calamity has came to Scadrial, or Earth. Really, Era 4 will just be the Reckoners trilogy. 

Um...

I'm just going to ignore everything that doesn't make sense about that...

and run away...

32 minutes ago, DarkJester said:

Secretly follows @Secrets to increase his paranoia...

With the amount of damage I've experienced during my Hemalurgic experimentation baking, there's not much you can do.

38 minutes ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

CONSPIRACY THEORISTS

THEY'RE COMING FOR YOU

RUN. NOW. RUN. 

That was just a feint. I'm currently doing a 1/2 basic lashing upward to keep me at a certain point in the cold night air inside a Dark Alley, waiting and watching. Don't ask how I can lash.

1 hour ago, Secrets said:

That was just a feint. I'm currently doing a 1/2 basic lashing upward to keep me at a certain point in the cold night air inside a Dark Alley, waiting and watching. Don't ask how I can lash.

That's not far enough to be safe from my Coinshot army. They're converging on your position now. 

1 hour ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

That's not far enough to be safe from my Coinshot army. They're converging on your position now. 

*evil cackle* A coinshot army? Are you serious? Do you think you can send so common an army against me in a Dark Alley, and expect a victory?

I could take that army down myself, without regard to the others in the Dark Alley, or our Hemalurgic constructs culinary experiments,allies, or the nature of Alleys?

And wait, a coinshot army? An army of magic users? Thanks for sending me some chocolate chips my way, this will be a Hemalurgic research blood fest explosion of culinary awesomeness! :D

Edited by Secrets