Can a splintered shard be brought together again?

A Budgie

Question

So, this may be a silly question, but I was wondering if, after a Shard is splintered, there is a way to bring the pieces together again to allow a new Vessel to take on the Shard.
I get the sense that this is probably something that depends on certain conditions, mainly the amount of time that has passed since the Shard has been splintered, but if you had enough power yourself, and it hadn't been a long time, do you guys think it's possible for a splintered Shard to be 'put back together,' so to speak?

5 answers to this question

I think the only official answer we have at this point is "RAFO". But in terms of theorycrafting, I'm of the opinion that if someone managed to channel insane amounts of a splintered Shard's Investiture and had the right Cognitive identity, they'd be able to splice the Shard back together. It would take truly enormous amounts of Investiture to do that, though--possibly more than Vin channeled through the mists at the end of HoA--so there may be easier ways to do it. Or that idea might not work at all. (I mean, to do that with Honor, you'd basically have to gather all of the spheres, gemstones, and highstorms into a single area and somehow channel all of the Stormlight into an appropriate Vessel.) But if I had to put a Shard back together, that's probably how I'd go about doing it.

The way I see it, a shard is splintered when connections between its components are sundered, in a manner similar to how components of Adonalsium were broken apart, connections between them lost, resulting in the sixteen shards we know. Since those shards can be pieced back together, I see no reason why the splinters of shards would not be able to, providing someone is able to hold them.

6 hours ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

I think the only official answer we have at this point is "RAFO". But in terms of theorycrafting, I'm of the opinion that if someone managed to channel insane amounts of a splintered Shard's Investiture and had the right Cognitive identity, they'd be able to splice the Shard back together. It would take truly enormous amounts of Investiture to do that, though--possibly more than Vin channeled through the mists at the end of HoA--so there may be easier ways to do it. Or that idea might not work at all. (I mean, to do that with Honor, you'd basically have to gather all of the spheres, gemstones, and highstorms into a single area and somehow channel all of the Stormlight into an appropriate Vessel.) But if I had to put a Shard back together, that's probably how I'd go about doing it.

I think channel Investiture would do nothing about re-assemble a Shard. You had to Connect once again the Splinters and it's not something so easy.

On another note, we don't even know if Stormlight is Honor's Investiture to start with. But for sake of hypotetis, if we say "Stormlight is Honor's Investiture":

You wait a couple of years, until the Weeping without Highstorm in the middle comes. At this point you are in the "Highstorm most Invested" scenario. You place yourself where the Highstorm starts (and this is hard because you have to travel in the ocean. Now You are in from of to the Highstorm at his full (something I honestly think no Rosharan has never see it).

You have Surgebinding abilities (or at least the ability to absorb Stormlight) and you start to absorb it in the HighHighstorm, You will reach the precise point of Kaladin and Szeth at the end of WoR and discover you can't hold more than a certain amount of Investiture...The plain failed.

But for hypotesis, I will add another exception and "you can hold all the Highstorm's Stormlight" (at least for a while) and:
1) You will probably ascend like using Well of Ascension for the raw amount of Investiture (but this is not what we are interesting into)

2) You didn't affect all the indipendent Splinters on whole Roshar....so no Honor here

3) Stormfather watch you, rise a Stormeyebrow and say "Impressive" (sorry I could not resist :D )

But in the end, Honor is still Splintered and once the Investiture leaks out of you, you fail the experiment