Honor's Shattering

Terra of Roshar

Question

5 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Terra of Roshar said:

Is that all? That seems kind of uncertain for the amount that people assume that it's true... idk maybe I have too high a standard for proof.

Well, it was the author who said that, so your standard must be very high indeed. It's actually possible that Brandon is wrong, as he sometimes relies on others to keep his timelines in check, but if he's wrong about this particular issue then maybe it's just not that important when exactly Tanavast was killed with respect to the Recreance.

Edit: Upon further consideration, it seems less likely that Brandon is wrong here. This is because he provided a reason as to why Tanavast must have been killed after the Recreance. It seems clear that Tanavast can't record memories he never had. Even if he had such a prophetic ability (which is weird, since he confessed incompetence when it comes to prophecy), I really doubt Brandon would miss that fact.

Edited by skaa

This one's from the Illinois Shadow's of Self signing:

Question
Was Honor Shattered before or after the Recreance?

Brandon Sanderson
I believe after. I'm pretty sure. I mean, he has memories of the Recreance.
(source)

I think we can set aside the possibility of future-sight when it comes to Dalinar's vision of the Recreance and have to take it as a given that it's something Tanavast was still alive for, even if Brandon hadn't confirmed it for us. He admits at the end of Way of Kings when he's showing Dalinar a vision of the future that may come to pass; the unstated implication is that everything else he showed was solid knowledge.

5 hours ago, Weltall said:

He admits at the end of Way of Kings when he's showing Dalinar a vision of the future that may come to pass; the unstated implication is that everything else he showed was solid knowledge.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that scene. So Tanavast was indeed capable of seeing possible futures after a fashion. But yeah, there really isn't much reason to doubt Brandon's words about the Recreance being before Tanavast was killed.