mistborn or stormlight archive which one?

Jude

I think you are exceedingly cruel for making us chose between those^^

I think its like chosing between

a)

a premium Pizza (any brand or restaurant that you have an emotional attachment to) with all your favorite toppings (mistborn) and

[For me, Mistborn was the first epic i read after a long period of basically reading nothing, so it is dearer to me than most other works.]

B)

Grandmas " i love my grandkids so i worked for 2 days and used half my pension on this " sunday dinner ( Stormlight, i guess). 

Chosing is difficult, i think it depends on what you value most:

Writing: Stormlight, although the margin is razor thin.

Main Characters: Mistborn. More diverse, and more complicated. And with more wit. Shallan is the exception here, as i find her much more interesting than vin.

Side Characters: The sheer number of them gives Stormlight an unfair advantage :P. On the Mistborn side, Me'lan and Steris (as of Bands of Mourning) stand out.

Scope: It feels like its Stormlight, although objectively it isnt. There is an actual apotheosis happening on Scadrial after all.

Combat: About equal. Mistborn has a slight edge here. Gritty, Up close and personal, and steel/iron makes better mind-movie-material. But thats just me.

Magic System/Innovation: Stormlight. There is just more to work with here, more to discover. Roshar is a much bigger canvas and its full of novel surprises. Maybe that is deliberate though, since Scadrial is intentionally earth-like.Surgebinding is screaming cool, allomancy is more subdued.

Romance: About equal, but its too soon to say. Best examples of both: Wax/Steris was handled very well. ( Vin/Elend was... blander than i would have liked, to be honest.)

For my reading of Stormlight the definitive romance scene was Kal and Shallan surviving the Highstorm together.

Disorganizer out

4 minutes ago, Disorganizer said:

I think you are exceedingly cruel for making us chose between those^^

I think its like chosing between

a)

a premium Pizza (any brand or restaurant that you have an emotional attachment to) with all your favorite toppings (mistborn) and

[For me, Mistborn was the first epic i read after a long period of basically reading nothing, so it is dearer to me than most other works.]

B)

Grandmas " i love my grandkids so i worked for 2 days and used half my pension on this " sunday dinner ( Stormlight, i guess). 

Chosing is difficult, i think it depends on what you value most:

Writing: Stormlight, although the margin is razor thin.

Main Characters: Mistborn. More diverse, and more complicated. And with more wit. Shallan is the exception here, as i find her much more interesting than vin.

Side Characters: The sheer number of them gives Stormlight an unfair advantage :P. On the Mistborn side, Me'lan and Steris (as of Bands of Mourning) stand out.

Scope: It feels like its Stormlight, although objectively it isnt. There is an actual apotheosis happening on Scadrial after all.

Combat: About equal. Mistborn has a slight edge here. Gritty, Up close and personal, and steel/iron makes better mind-movie-material. But thats just me.

Magic System/Innovation: Stormlight. There is just more to work with here, more to discover. Roshar is a much bigger canvas and its full of novel surprises. Maybe that is deliberate though, since Scadrial is intentionally earth-like.Surgebinding is screaming cool, allomancy is more subdued.

Romance: About equal, but its too soon to say. Best examples of both: Wax/Steris was handled very well. ( Vin/Elend was... blander than i would have liked, to be honest.)

For my reading of Stormlight the definitive romance scene was Kal and Shallan surviving the Highstorm together.

Disorganizer out

Ha well i just was thinking between those which one was peoples favorite.

21 minutes ago, Disorganizer said:

Exactly. I didnt get it at first either, apparently, this is supposed to be more of a gut-feeling poll then a discussion. 'nuff said.

Well, in that case, Mistborn. Until Oathbringer comes out, Mistborn will continue to captivate my attention more.

On 14.12.2016 at 4:51 PM, shadowwisp said:

Kelsier. One of them has it, the other doesn't. 

Yet (honestly who would be surprised if we find Kelsier in Kholinar in SA3;))

Personally i would go with Mistborn, i just like the characters and the magicsystems (Feruchemy ftw!) more

Edited by Samaldin

They are both my favorite! Different reasons though.

Mistborn TFE is without question my favorite single novel. Breeze and Clubs and Ham and Kell and Saze, the whole crew is just so great! And their interactions feel like a group of old friends. TFE is a work of art!

Stormlight I think is going to end up as the better series. WoK and WoR are both spectacular and building up for more. Dalinar, Kaladin, and Shallan are badasses, but they don't have the same level of magic the Survivor's crew does for me.

Edited by Demandred

On 12/14/2016 at 7:51 AM, shadowwisp said:

Kelsier. One of them has it, the other doesn't. 

That is all I need to say.

*starts to object that Kelsier is a person, not a force of nature, and thus should be referred to as "he", not "it"*

*pauses to think about it*

*slowly retracts objection*

Noooooooo.... don't make me choose again.......

Ok, I have to go Mistborn. It's been one of my favourite books ever (got me out of a huge year long reading slump), and it's characters have always spoken to me in ways that Stormlight characters have not. In many ways, the more intimate style, but still epicsim appeals to me far more than the widespread story that Stormlight is telling. We got to know a few characters really well, and the story was far more focused on a select cast that I could get to know very well. Plus, the main trio is far more interesting to me than the current Stormlight main trio. Also, Mistborn has the one thing that Stormlight can never destroy...hope (and Kelsier, as has already been mentioned).

As well as that, the magic system is a lot simpler than in Stormlight. Well, simpler probably isn't the best word for it, but we knew how it worked, whereas we still barely know anything about the other KR orders, including their words, as well as their powers, and how the two powers interact. I also find the development of the magic as time goes on really interesting.

Also, for me personally, Mistborn was my first introduction to Brandon's books (ahh, back in ye olden days when I didn't know about the Cosmere...). As well as that, Mistborn faces issues that relate to me personally, and I have interpreted many symbols in it that have helped me to get through some issues in my own life. I also love the ultimately positive world view that comes through far more in Mistborn than in Stormlight as of yet.

That being said, this opinion could be because I just finished an era 1 re-read in 6 days yesterday... my favourite Cosmere book always seems to be the one I read last...

Wow, that ended up much longer than I intended it to be.... oh well....

• Chaos locked this topic