Left Field Theory: Is Hoid related Trell?

SoulWeaver

Hoid is NOT a nice person (WoB). What Hoid is doing does not necessarily help humans on specific planets survive (TWoK).

At the end of the day, it is not even clear that his goals are actually helpful.  It is also not clear that he will ultimately succeed.

But  I sincerely doubt that he is trying to destroy Scadrial. This does not seem to be his MO. He is also incapable of hurting people.

He is not a bad guy, but he is a little selfish, well, a lot, like, Kelsier-level selfish. I think this quote describes him perfectly:

"And while I am your friend, please understand that our goals do not completely align. You must not trust yourself with me. If I have to watch this world crumble and burn to get what I need, I will do so. With tears, yes, but I would let it happen."

Hoid to Dalinar

3 hours ago, Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew said:

He is not a bad guy, but he is a little selfish, well, a lot, like, Kelsier-level selfish. I think this quote describes him perfectly:

"And while I am your friend, please understand that our goals do not completely align. You must not trust yourself with me. If I have to watch this world crumble and burn to get what I need, I will do so. With tears, yes, but I would let it happen."

Hoid to Dalinar

In all fairness, this does not describe selfishness on Hoid's part. It implies that Hoid's underlying agenda may require war and death and destruction on Roshar. In a separate thread 

I put forth a theory that wars on Roshar are essentially what binds Odium to the Roshar system (Odium must Invest into Roshar heavily to be able to wage a fair fight, and thus is bound), and since the Letter implies that Hoid very much wants Odium to stay put on Roshar, he may be cheering for the coming Desolation, where Dalinar wants desperately to prevent it. Hoid's motivation can be completely unselfish here. 

45 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

I didn't think so, I was just curious. As for the Desolation, I imagine that's when Odium surges out of his prison trying to escape, so I don't think Hoid would necessarily cheer it on...

If I had to guess, his goals on Roshar involve the eventually killing of Rayse. He needs the Desolation to occur perhaps so that it is easier to strike at Odium, while at the same time he has surreptitiously helping people in preparation for it. 

• Chaos locked this topic