Damnation and the Tranquiline Halls

Sallin Zeras

Question

8 answers to this question

In Words of Radiance, Kaladin thinks to himself about Damnation and reveals that another name for it is Braize (see chapter 32). Braize is one of the other planets in the Greater Roshar planetary system (as shown here), which you can read a little more about in the Roshar essay in Arcanum Unbounded. There are a couple theories that I'm aware of on what the Tranquiline Halls are, but it hasn't been clarified in the books yet. One theory is that, just like Damnation, the Tranquiline Halls could be another planet, possibly the planet Ashyn in the same planetary system. Another theory is that humans being kicked out of the Tranquiline Halls represents something wrong with the afterlife on Roshar, possibly manifesting in the Cognitive Realm (see here for more details). But really, we don't know the answer to this one yet.

Honestly, we don't know if the Tranquiline Halls even exist. We're assuming so, since it's a fantasy series and everything, but we don't actually know. In theory it could just be a religious belief and nothing else. I'm pretty sure they do exist myself, but...

18 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

My theory is that that Braize is the Tranquline Halls. Odium is somehow able to prevent people from moving on, and he steals them to Braize to war with his Odiumspren.

So Damnation and the Tranquiline Halls are the same place? That's an interesting thought.

Just now, Spoolofwhool said:

So Damnation and the Tranquiline Halls are the same place? That's an interesting thought.

[AU spoilers]

I think this becuase in Khriss's essay on Roshar, she mentioned that Braize is inhabited solely by spren, and possibly Cognitive Shadows. Cognitive Shadows are basically someone's spirit, their Cognitive aspect was flooded with Investiture, and they stick around. I also think of the other planets we know Odium visited. Sel has the Svrakiss, described as people who were barred access from heaven (sounds familiar), and they can apparently possess people. Threnody has a whole wack of problems with Shades that came (likely) from Odium's clash with Ambition. It all just makes sense.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:12 AM, Khyrindor said:

[AU spoilers]

Hide contents

...their Cognitive aspect was flooded with Investiture, and they stick around. I also think of the other planets we know Odium visited. Sel has the Svrakiss, described as people who were barred access from heaven (sounds familiar), and they can apparently possess people. Threnody has a whole wack of problems with Shades that came (likely) from Odium's clash with Ambition. It all just makes sense.

Spoiler

Wait.  You just implied Odium is going around to other shard's planets... killing the shards, flooding people with investiture... and blocking them from the afterlife.   Potentially blocking people from heaven on at least 3 planets now.   Now that's interesting!

On 12/9/2016 at 9:12 AM, Khyrindor said:

[AU spoilers]

Reveal hidden contents

I think this becuase in Khriss's essay on Roshar, she mentioned that Braize is inhabited solely by spren, and possibly Cognitive Shadows. Cognitive Shadows are basically someone's spirit, their Cognitive aspect was flooded with Investiture, and they stick around. I also think of the other planets we know Odium visited. Sel has the Svrakiss, described as people who were barred access from heaven (sounds familiar), and they can apparently possess people. Threnody has a whole wack of problems with Shades that came (likely) from Odium's clash with Ambition. It all just makes sense.

Shades, originally, were the result of ambient investiture, not from a shard. It's conceivable that some other influence has occurred though.