So I was inspired by @ShadowLord_Lith and his post about Shards. I wanted to ask this question in a broader forum area.

If you were to be a Shard, what would your name be?

Also, if you feel inclined, enlighten us on your magic system and world. I would be happy to hear!

If I were to be a shard, I would be Affirmation.

Magic in my world would be based upon strength of belief, being similar to Soulcasting. If you believe something, Investiture would affirm said thing, making it true. Also, another form of Investiture would be able to work upon the mind, Affirming certain beliefs inside of someone, similar to Soothing and Rioting. I could Affirm certain beliefs to make them stronger, while Dismissing others.

In terms of a world, I would have several high mountains, which sat above a shadowed world covered by clouds. Below, your abilities would be far more powerful, due to the planet being undefined, while above, humans lived normally.

There would be two types of magic, the mental Affirmations and Dismissals, and the physical Affirmations and Dismissals. As I said above, you can only truly change reality within the lower areas of the planet, the ones below the Godpeaks. So, this would prevent the destruction of humanity before it could develop a set of rules. The further one goes from the ground of the planet, the weaker their physical abilities would become. Conversely, those who possessed mental abilities would grow stronger the further you ascended. After all, creation is impulsive, while belief is built on already created ideas. Creation must come from something unformed, while honing something, that comes from what has been built. The Godpeaks were built by me personally, and as such, can not be affected by physical Affirmation. 

Someone could only destroy my Affirmation with intense amounts of Investiture, as to destroy an idea, you need a more powerful one.

Edited by Chaos
Weird formatting issue.

I said it in the thread mentioned by @Orderbound, but I'll say it again here.

I would want to be either Connection or Transference. My world would be completely covered in forest. The only place that wasn't covered in trees is the mountains and the rivers and oceans. For a magic system, I'd use the mass of the objects around me as an energy source (the wood of a tree used as a source would shrink and eventually disappear) and the output would be mostly kinetic energy or motion (like shooting an arrow without a bow or flying).

I am the Vessel of Conservation. Within my world people must act with dual purpose for any use of my investiture has immediate and serious results.  ...

Ok enough of that for now. The system here would involve moving a "concept" from one place to another. IE i can move heat from water, thereby freezing it, to my morning coaco, or i move the "wetness" or moisture from that same water into a the ground around me. while anyone that moves the "concept" from something also has to move it into something else, most practitioners don't understand the limitation. I.e. some people manipulate heat by drawing heat out of their surroundings into something specific while others manipulate cold but drawing out heat of something specific and let it enter their surroundings.

At the current stage of development very few (only one that i am aware of) people have realized that if you go one way you can go the other, it is just a change of perspective. Also each individual concept requires separate initiation but it is possible to have 

Current Concepts that have been developed: Heat/Cold, Light/Dark, Wet/Dry, Attraction/Repulsion, Motion/Statics

Concepts in development: Noise/Silence, Sensation/Numbness, Strength/Weakness, Knowledge/Ignorance

My world is dominated by a set of islands that spin at the northern pole of the world. it is a tropical space, not frozen tundra, due to the presence of my Physical essence that  draws heat from the oceans toward it this substance also is the cause of the nature movements of the islands .

if you want more details i am writing this magic system into a novel. Just PM me.

BTW my shard pool is elsewhere on the planet. 

13 hours ago, Tsidqiyah said:

I am the Vessel of Conservation. Within my world people must act with dual purpose for any use of my investiture has immediate and serious results.  ...

Ok enough of that for now. The system here would involve moving a "concept" from one place to another. IE i can move heat from water, thereby freezing it, to my morning coaco, or i move the "wetness" or moisture from that same water into a the ground around me. while anyone that moves the "concept" from something also has to move it into something else, most practitioners don't understand the limitation. I.e. some people manipulate heat by drawing heat out of their surroundings into something specific while others manipulate cold but drawing out heat of something specific and let it enter their surroundings.

At the current stage of development very few (only one that i am aware of) people have realized that if you go one way you can go the other, it is just a change of perspective. Also each individual concept requires separate initiation but it is possible to have 

Current Concepts that have been developed: Heat/Cold, Light/Dark, Wet/Dry, Attraction/Repulsion, Motion/Statics

Concepts in development: Noise/Silence, Sensation/Numbness, Strength/Weakness, Knowledge/Ignorance

My world is dominated by a set of islands that spin at the northern pole of the world. it is a tropical space, not frozen tundra, due to the presence of my Physical essence that  draws heat from the oceans toward it this substance also is the cause of the nature movements of the islands .

if you want more details i am writing this magic system into a novel. Just PM me.

BTW my shard pool is elsewhere on the planet. 

Damnation that is pretty good.

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Hmm... perhaps mine would be Creativity, or Diversity. The power would be heavily in the Cognitive Realm, and my Shardpool is a totally epic bassoon.

what. so like the bassoon is stuck in the ground, and like the opening faces the sky? And it's filled with liquid investiture?

Can you physically manifest in the Physical Realm? And if you do, could you, like, pick the bassoon up and play it?

Then call yourself. The only decent bard. 

2 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

what. so like the bassoon is stuck in the ground, and like the opening faces the sky? And it's filled with liquid investiture?

Can you physically manifest in the Physical Realm? And if you do, could you, like, pick the bassoon up and play it?

Then call yourself. The only decent bard. 

Yes. Picture the bassoon on a pedestal, facing upwards, liquid investiture trickling from its holes like a fountain. Then when the world is in great danger, there will be a hero, who will find and take up the Shardbassoon and vanquish the evil with epic bassoon powers.

Just now, Hemalurgic_Headshot said:

Yes. Picture the bassoon on a pedestal, facing upwards, liquid investiture trickling from its holes like a fountain. Then when the world is in great danger, there will be a hero, who will find and take up the Shardbassoon and vanquish the evil with epic bassoon powers.

Made my day XD

• Chaos locked this topic