Hoid Appeared...Not [AU Spoilers]

HoidvsVoid

Who else thought at first the beggar was obviously Hoid?

I mean, he was a beggar, talked about a lot of strange things, and WAS A BEGGAR!!!!! I kept looking for the headcock but could not find it. But I still thought it was him. Who else did?

Spoiler

And yes, I know now where Hoid really appeared.

Edited by HoidvsVoid

He reminded me of Ym, with his "everyone is part of a whole" philosophy. For a while there I thought Ym somehow resurrected or was somehow reanimated. Wyndle referencing Ym earlier (as "the cobbler" he was almost bonded to) might have influenced my thoughts.

But I guess seeing a Dysian Aimian kill a couple of murderous Skybreakers was okay, too. :)

Edited by Ookla the Insipid

2 hours ago, HoidvsVoid said:

I mean, he was a beggar, talked about a lot of strange things, and WAS A BEGGAR!!!!! I kept looking for the headcock but could not find it. But I still thought it was him. Who else did?

The answer is "yes". This was clearly written in a way to make us... take a pause and make an assumption.  Which is completely fine. 

Yep, especially since his first conversation seemed like it could be an attempt to get Lift to think about where she fits into the world (an issue she raises herself) and that sort of nudging is the kind of thing Hoid has done multiple times before.

And then the pleasant/horrifying surprise to learn that... there was another secret.

5 minutes ago, Reborn radiant said:

Now I do know he isn't hoid but where did hoid appear? I read edgedancer pretty quickly because of excitement so may be I missed some details.

Look here:

Edited by Ookla the Insipid

1 hour ago, Reborn radiant said:

Oh that off-screen appearance! I was thinking more along the lines of being actually present during the events of edgedancer.

Pretty sure Hoid is accompanying a certain Elsecaller towards civilization right around the same time.

3 hours ago, Reborn radiant said:

Oh that off-screen appearance! I was thinking more along the lines of being actually present during the events of edgedancer.

Seems Brandon is making a habit of not having Hoid appear on-screen in novellas. M:SH is the only one he's in, and that's a bit of a special story.

I actually didn't think it was Hoid at first... he seemed too... subdued for Hoid. I've noticed that Hoid's cameos tend to have him, at least to me, speaking a bit more actively, with a more chipper tone of voice, only slipping into solemnity when big topics come up, like when he waxes to the six legged crab thing in WoR, and doesn't have to put on a facade of indifference, or when he speaks genuinely to Shallan inher flashbacks.

I dunno, Hoid just seems to be very... animated, jovial and enthusiastic and chipper in his diguises, like when he's Wit. The only exceptions I can really think of are when he explains Nathalis' history for Siri, and his original beggar disguise with Kelsier.

• Chaos locked this topic