Taravangian and Szeth

Shanderton

Hey all, this is my first post but I've been prowling the boards for ages. However, I'm not sure I've seen this discussed at all!

Anyway, from the Taravangian interlude it is pretty clear that absolutely no one has any foresight into what Taravangian's IQ will be on any given day in the future. Hence, why he has a test every morning.

Generally, I imagine this isn't too much of a problem - most people think he's simple anyway - but if he has any serious meetings with serious thinking then his attendants will probably re-schedule it on a bad day.

"However", I thought, "what about the meeting with Szeth?"

This meeting wasn't planned. Sure, Szeth was in Kharbranth for a little while before the killing and sure, Taravangian could keep his eyes on him. But he would have no idea which day Szeth would choose to strike, and therefore no idea whether he would be capable of having the conversation he had.

More importantly, he is described as having "keen eyes and a wise, knowing face". What are the chances that Szeth attacked him on one of his good days?

Is this a coincedence? Maybe it's nothing, but it just seems so darn unlikely!

It's probably just a coincidence that Szeth happened to arrive on a good day for Mr. T. You're right, that interlude suggested his daily intelligence was unpredictable so there is no way he could have planned ahead for Szeth to attack him when convenient. At least, based on what knowledge we have at this point.

Taravangian could have just rehearsed the encounter beforehand. You don't have to be particularly intelligent to go through a line of dialogue you already have memorized. He likely wouldn't have been quite as eloquent and convincing but as long as he already had the encounter planned out when intelligent, it shouldn't have been too difficult for his more dim version to pull off.

He also might have an adjunct around on bad days to do the talking if Szeth happened to show up.

Also, one other thing is possible. I know this is a streach, but given the 'Blessing and curse' nature of the Nightwatcher, I feel obliged to put it out there.

Taravangian wakes up with a different INT score every day. Or he has a different I.Q. every day. The encounter with Szeth occurred at night. Perhaps there is an exception involved based on the specific wording.

Just a thought.

I think it's unlikely that his IQ ever dips into "mentally challenged" category. Nothing in his discussion with Szeth required much on-the-spot thinking. And probably on his truly bad days, he's not even allowed to be left alone.

I'm not so sure, the Interlude says that some days he wakes feeling like a complete imbecile.  That says something when you wake up and you can immediately tell your thoughts have been slowed so dramatically.

But even if that's the case, it  really doesn't take much to pull a Stone out and say "Don't kill me!"

I have no idea who originally posted the previous sentence. I stole it from another thread. Soak up and I'll give credit where due.

Szeth was instructed to make sure Mr T understood what Szeth told him, so there. If it was a 'bad day' for T, Szeth simply would have had to wait until the next day.

I doubt it would go that far.  The actual line was

"Make certain Taravangian heard and acknowledged the words before harming him"

That gives even an idiotic Taravangian plenty of time to remember the correct response he had formulated.  It'd probably just be a case of showing him the Oathstone and telling Szeth to come back the next day.  

I'm guessing that Taravangian's 'moronic' days are few and far between, just as are his 'super intelligent' days. I doubt it takes much for even a person of average intelligence to follow instructions he set for himself during a smart bout.

edit : so the risk was minimal.

Edited by vikorr

• Chaos locked this topic