First time poster Theory: Dalinar the Bondsmith

Pyromie

Some friends and I have been discussing the probability of reviving a dead spren, and came up with a theory, and a little short story for kicks and giggles (Sorry if it's terrible!)

Our theory is that a Bondsmith's (Dalinar) hidden ability is to Rebond "Dead" spren (Shardblades) to a worthy person, which restores their cognitive abilities, and forms a new Knight radiant. 

The theory is partially brought to light by this passage: 

So Melishi retired to his tent, and resolved to destroy the Voidbringers upon the next day, but that night did present a different stratagem, related to the unique abilities of the Bondsmiths; and being hurried, he could make no specific account of his process; it was related to the very nature of the Heralds and their divine duties, an attribute the Bondsmiths alone could address.

As well as to their name itself: "Bondsmith". 

We know the bond that creates a Knight Radiant is called the "Nahel Bond". 

With this in mind, and other discussions around the matter, we wholeheartedly belive that it is possible for a "Dead" Spren to be rebonded, restoring it. 

We believe the process would occur as such: (Short story written to explain)

Dalinar and an Unknown wielder of a dead spren shard blade are sitting in Urithiru, in a dark room. 

The unknown person (Probably a young lady, because... yeah) sitting there with the blade across their lap, eyes closed, and focusing. This goes on for days, as Dalinar trains them. 

Dalinar: "In order for your bond to be forged, you must determine the nature of this spren, and align yourself to it. You will make changes that will alter the very way you live and think, but if you work hard, and are truly dedicated, I will grant you the bond, and repair that which has been severed. This blade, no, this Spren shall be your partner, and you will unite together to help save our world from the darkness that has arisen." 

After a long while of training, they both begin hearing a heartbeat from inside the now glowing blade, and she (the wielder) begins to feel strange. She begins hearing a small broken voice repeating the same words in her head. "Honor...." "Strength..." "Courage..." "Devotion..." "Duty...". Suddenly Dalinar opens his eyes, and a burst of stormlight leaves him and enters into the meditating person, who opens their eyes, shining bright. Words spew from her mouth. "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination" as the blade slowly disolves into mist, and begins reforming in the shape of a small, young woman in front of her newly glowing eyes. "Hello, I'm (some spren name), I've been calling out for so long... Thank you for hearing me!". 

Dalinar stands, and places a hand on her shoulder, looking down at her. "Welcome, to the Knights Radiant. From henceforth you shall be a member of the order of Wind Runners, under your new leader, Kaladin Stormblessed. Congratulations, young one." He turns and smiles, and introduces himself to the Newly resurrected spren, Then leaves the room to allow them to become better aquainted. 

So... yeah! Hope you enjoyed our theory, and short story. 

Please proceed to tear it to shreds if we overlooked something!

Actually I find it quite unlikely. If a Bondsmith may overcome all the problem of reviving a Dead Spren. Stormfather would be more willing to bond if this mean resurrect hundreds of Spren.

Also all the Spren of the old time (the one who didn't die at the Recreance) would know this Bondsmith's ability and try to recover their friends.

The whole Oathbreaking would become a really little problem if a Bondsmith may simply fix it.

I aggree with @Yata, except for one part

6 hours ago, Yata said:

Also all the Spren of the old time (the one who didn't die at the Recreance) would know this Bondsmith's ability and try to recover their friends.

Syl makes it clear she remembers very little from before following Kaladin

51 minutes ago, Tsidqiyah said:

Syl makes it clear she remembers very little from before following Kaladin

I'm pretty sure that's only because she crossed over to the physical realm. The ones who stayed in the Cognitive seem to have kept their memories. That's what Pattern said about himself, anyway.

I suspect they are able to create new bonds. Either between themselves and other KR  (They become the hub of a wheel with the other KRs like spokes) or between other KR's (Think of the Parshendi Warpairs, but instead we will have KR warpairs that can feed of off each other.)

Edited by Tsidqiyah

An excellent 1st post @Pyromie! Have a welcome upvote. And, in neighborly advice, avoid the baked goods offered you here. Your freedom is not worth the temporary pleasure. Keep your armor on!

I too am very interested in the nature of the Bondsmith's powers. I got a hint in my signed book from Sanderson. He welcomed me to the Knight's radiant order of Bondsmiths and assigned me to "keep the peace for All". And then he said, "That should be a big enough assignment for you!" From that I glean that Bondsmiths are charged in some way with keeping the peace among the Radiants. Like your theory, I believe that it is directly related to being able to affect the Bonds with Spren. Unlike the rest of your theory though, I do not think he revives spren. I think he can make a bond stronger or weaker, possibly granting advancement or removal of some powers based on the keeping of oaths. There re a lot of other possibilities, but this is my favorite today.

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2016 at 1:16 AM, Yata said:

Actually I find it quite unlikely. If a Bondsmith may overcome all the problem of reviving a Dead Spren. Stormfather would be more willing to bond if this mean resurrect hundreds of Spren.

The whole Oathbreaking would become a really little problem if a Bondsmith may simply fix it.

It makes me wonder, if the bond is indeed a spren merging it's spiritweb with that of the Bonded (Which I could be wrong about?), would a Bondsmith's abilities affect the spiritweb in some way? 

It is possible that the reason a spren is left mindless after the oaths have been broken is that it is unable to regain the portion of it's spiritweb that was bonded to the Rosharen. 

I think I'll submit this question to the weekly questionnaire (Unless others tear this apart with facts!) haha. 

First, I think reviving dead spren (something I consider very likely to happen) will be up to each shard bearer to achieve or not achieve.

Second, I think that the passage about melishi probably has to do with turning voidbringers into parshendi (based on a reading of book 3's prologue).  So, the bondsmith's powers likely allow them to form a link between cog. And phys. Realms (maybe even spiritual realm as well).  

I'm cheering for this theory, but i also don't think it'll be true.  I agree with 1empyrean reviving will be up to the shard bearer.  Also i think the Nahel bond works this way too, its between the radiant and their spren, Ivory (and maybe Glyss) doesn't even like being mentioned to others let alone have another involved in their bond.

It's hard to ignore their name though, Bondsmiths, it screams that they can influence the Nahel bond in some way, maybe too obvious though. 

• Chaos locked this topic