Sanderson related Youtube Channel

So I spend a lot of time on Youtube, watching videos on writing, books, video games, and the like.  As I was watching one of many GAME OF THRONES theory/history/speculation videos, I realized..."why isn't there more Brandon Sanderson Cosmere videos?".

So I went digging.  I found your normal videos on book reviews, synopsis's, people talking about the books, interviews etc.  But I didn't find *any* that were dedicated, fan made videos about specific topics such as Character history and backstory, lore, speculation, and just overall Cosmere videos on a variety of topics.

I'm in the process of creating my Youtube channel for therapy reasons (I'm trying to be a writer, and I'm a gamer as well), and with Sanderson being one of my inspirations, he seemed like the perfect fit for me to do videos on (especially considering there seems to be a lack of them).

Is this something that people would actually enjoy watching?   I'd love to get feedback from the Sanderson community and see everyone's thoughts and gauge interest!

This would actually be pretty interesting, and a nice thing to show to people new on 17th Shard to  help them learn more about the Cosmere, so they can understand our wild theories.

And welcome to the forums, I hope you have a great stay here. Anyways, I'll give you an upvote as soon as I can (reached my daily limit) but for now, please accept these

cookies.

thTI3O1M2B.jpg

1 minute ago, Secrets said:

This would actually be pretty interesting, and a nice thing to show to people new on 17th Shard to  help them learn more about the Cosmere, so they can understand our wild theories.

And welcome to the forums, I hope you have a great stay here. Anyways, I'll give you an upvote as soon as I can (reached my daily limit) but for now, please accept these

cookies.

thTI3O1M2B.jpg

Thanks for the reply!

I was actually a lurker/occasional poster on this forum in the past, but haven't been on here in a while, so I decided to "start fresh".

I could possibly also put links in my videos that redirect to this site (and vice versa), that way it can help spread the message :)

Maybe I should make a quick video on a random topic in the Cosmere and show you guys, so that way you can get a feel for what I am thinking?  Any topic thoughts?

Your first and second idea sound great. Perhaps you could start a new thread solely dedicated to your youtube videos, and discussion of those youtube videos. Putting in links would be a great way to introduce people to 17S, and links here would be a great way to link people to Cosmere knowledge if they want it. Overall, great idea!

I'll upvote as soon as my daily upvotes reset.

11 hours ago, Who Sharded? said:

I'd love to see a Cosmere discussion oriented youtube channel.  Like a podcast I suppose.

I found a really fun Podcast where they discuss Sanderson while reading one of his books together. They have a fun mix of current fans who are Cosmere aware, and new guys trying these books out for the first time. They are currently reading Mistborn.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cosmere-cartel-fear-tower/id1133407854?mt=2

Hey @Brandom Glitch So yeah, I was asking myself the same thing. I had just started my channel and had been toying with the idea of doing a Cosmere related show. But I wanted to make it more, something I could write and make feel like a part of the Cosmere rather than just a guy talking about his favorite books. I was lucky enough to meet Brandon and pitch him the idea, which he gave me permission to do. He also helped me set up the narrative a little, although it's mostly me.

I say go for it! There is too little Cosmere YouTube content out there. Honestly, I would love to help out, share ideas, and even collaborate if you have something good to work with. Just DM me if you are interested! I also can be a soundboard if you just want another pair of eyes looking over your scripts or whatever. Go crazy with it! I look forward to seeing what you put together. 

Edited by TheBlueShifting
Name edit

@Brandom Glitch I'm not sure what you have in mind, but I think it would be pretty cool if you did some brief videos on  narrow topics. Basically very focused and to-the-point videos that explain everything we know about a particular subject. The idea being somebody trying to wrap their mind around the Cosmere could pull up your videos and get a nice overview of certain topics.

For example, you could do one about Hoid that points out all of his appearances, everything we know about him from the books, and some interesting WoBs.

Personally, I prefer videos that are focused and relatively brief. I don't have a whole lot of time to sit and listen to podcasts, where somebody rambles on about something that could have been said in a fraction of the time. I'd also recommend holding back on personal opinions and theories- at least until you have more followers.

2 hours ago, jofwu said:

@Brandom Glitch I'm not sure what you have in mind, but I think it would be pretty cool if you did some brief videos on  narrow topics. Basically very focused and to-the-point videos that explain everything we know about a particular subject. The idea being somebody trying to wrap their mind around the Cosmere could pull up your videos and get a nice overview of certain topics.

For example, you could do one about Hoid that points out all of his appearances, everything we know about him from the books, and some interesting WoBs.

Personally, I prefer videos that are focused and relatively brief. I don't have a whole lot of time to sit and listen to podcasts, where somebody rambles on about something that could have been said in a fraction of the time. I'd also recommend holding back on personal opinions and theories- at least until you have more followers.

This was actually what I was thinking.  Specific, to the point kind of videos...maybe 3-4 minutes in length (depending on the subject manner) about one specific topic in the Cosmere. 

Like a video that goes over the details of a specific shardblade and it's history.  Or maybe a biography type video on Vin.  Or heck, even a small video on a plant on Roshar lol.  There are tons of topics to choose from. 

I'm going to try to find a small topic to do a test video on, something short and brief and see if I can get a feel.  Any ideas/suggestions on a topic?

34 minutes ago, Brandom Glitch said:

I'm going to try to find a small topic to do a test video on, something short and brief and see if I can get a feel.  Any ideas/suggestions on a topic?

Some ideas...

spren (or a particular type)

Shards (known history, holders, etc.)

a particular type or subset of Allomancy/Ferruchem/Hemalurgy

Cognitive Realm (or Spiritual Realm)

Just now, jofwu said:

Some ideas...

spren (or a particular type)

Shards (known history, holders, etc.)

a particular type or subset of Allomancy/Ferruchem/Hemalurgy

Cognitive Realm (or Spiritual Realm)

Good ideas!

Do you know of any maps of the different Planets?  Trying to think of some imagery to use in the vids but unfortunately it seems like Sanderson-related artwork is lacking a bit on the web. 

• Chaos locked this topic