Stormlight Archive movies news

bdoble97

The amazingly great news that Brandon Sanderson has sold the movie rights to all his comsmar book is so exciting. But the news that they are starting off with the Stormlight Archive book first raises grave concerns for me I really thought they would have done Mistborn first. Could be a cool urban fantasy trilogy. But the fact that they are doing SA first makes me get extremely nervous for many reasons. First things first there's only two books out so far. I don't want what happened to the Game of Thrones/  A Song of Ice and Fire happened to us  finding out what happens before the book comes out because the TV series has surpassed the books  I know Sanderson is a machine when it comes to putting out books but it  still gets me worried . Eeach book being well over a thousand pages gives me hope that mabe the first 2 book could be broken up into serval movies. I know it takes probley about a year to year and half to write a script. So by the time they are done with the script of movie #1 book 3 will be out.  But then going back to what I said previously if they take the first book in split up into two or three movies and the same with book 2 at this time we are 6 movies in and that's just two books how are we going to be able to get actors to play a single character for that long and not have them age?  If they do this and they keep the same actors by the time the whole series is done we're looking at how many movies and how old will the actors be ? Probley to old to be playing thier respected characters.  Don't get me wrong I would love to see 20 SA movies if they are done right but.  The way they could over come this issue would  CGI and motion captured like the Lord of the Rings did with Gollum. Higher Andy Serkis and I believe Toby Kebbell and then get whatever other actors that you would want to use and just have them all do CGI/motion-capture. People that may be skeptical on using this technology just look at the Jungle Book 95 version of that movie was all CGI. I'm not saying that they have to do all CGI they could do what War Craft did and build huge magnificent sets and then a lot of CGI as well. The more I read about this the more I think it actually could work but it still makes me very concerned that they doing Stormlight first. 

I know other people will be able to put thier  thoughts better to gether than I did but I had to say something about this beacuse it's too big of a deal for me not to say something I love these books and they are to amazing. If they're going to make them into movies and I don't want the story to be ruined for us fans in the movies before the books come out. But I really feel that Sanderson is such a huge fan himself of Epic Fantasy for example growing up reading The Wheel of Time that he understands our fear in his with us. 

P.S. I scrambled and did all this on my cell phone voice to text so sorry if some of it does not make sense.

Your concerns mainly mirror mine. SA is way too ambition to start with, in my opinion. In addition, as you say, it isn't finished as a story. On the other hand, Mistborn would be a far superior choice. First of all, it's actually finished as a story. Secondly, it would be a lot easier to manage as a story, since it falls in a lot smaller of a scope, and would make for a good point to introduce people to the Cosmere stories, unlike a massive story like SA. Finally, I'm fairly certain that Brandon has said that he wrote Mistborn with a movie in mind, mainly regarding the action sequence. That is something I agree on when I read the fighting sequences. Also, for a fantasy/action/adventure genre movie, Mistborn fits a general audience more. The thing about Way of Kings, while it does have its fighting scenes, the conflict with the main characters is largely Character vs. Self, which while is interesting, would cut down on the audience a large bit, for people who want to see an action movie.

tl;dr Mistborn would be a better start than SA. Finished story, less complex, and better suited as a movie.

In all honesty I thought they would start in order the books were published. That's what made the easter eggs worth while once we got to SA. But I think a movie about Elantris would be a good starting point. A great way to ease into Brandon's unique magic systems. I just feel that starting with SA is just going to be overwhelming, like sensory overload. You can see the business side of it though, SA is the most "epic". 

• Chaos locked this topic