Silverlight [Reddit WoB]

BeskarKomrk

Brandon answered a question regarding population sizes and densities of various cities around the Cosmere on Reddit earlier. In the answer, he references a city called Silverlight. I've don't recall this name in any of his books. I did a quick check through Coppermind, Theoryland, and the text of all the ebooks I have; I found no reference to something called Silverlight. Has anyone heard of this place before? I asked for clarification on Reddit, but until we get an answer, let's start madly theorizing!

Original comment here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/51u8qu/oathbringer_spoilers_stormlight_three_update_4/d8zbvvs

So what/where could Silverlight be? Personally, I think it would be a cool name for the worldhopper gathering place that we've heard about, which would tie into how he hasn't estimated its population precisely. What do you think it is?

I would be really surprised if he gave us a place where all world hoppers who aren't hunting eachother or something at this point in time. That being said it would be cool. I have found literally nothing in regards to what this could possibly be. I'll be certain to keep an eye out for it however as I continue reading.

Edited by White_Tailer
Same as before. Still fairly new here. Mistakes haha. Sorry.

First of all, you're welcome (that was me on Reddit asking around, just woke up and did an O_o when I saw Silverlight). 

I'm wondering whether it's set on Threnody myself, given the obvious 'silver' in the name. That comment link has a few other interesting things too, so take a look. 

I remember Brandon said at JordanCon that there was a place where worldhopping was common knowledge. He clarifies that it was not a planet, but many worldhoppers have chosen to settle there. If I had to guess though, I'd also say it's on Threnody, seeing as how silver is super important there. Perhaps it could have been part of the Homeland?  

1 hour ago, White_Tailer said:

I would be really surprised if he gave us a place where all world hoppers who aren't hunting eachother or something at this point in time. That being said it would be cool. I have found literally nothing in regards to what this could possibly be. I'll be certain to keep an eye out for it however as I continue reading.

Except that we're getting Arcanum Unbounded in less than a month, and I expect that we may very well get the name of that place namedropped.

Wouldn't this be a shocking development.

(Also, I was beaten to the punch, though, glad to see you guys going a bit crazy over this revelation already). xD

If he name-drops like that and then comes back with a RAFO, so help me...

I wondered at first if it could just be another Roshar city, known for diamonds so all their spheres shine silver. But, based on the exact wording, I think it has to be somewhere else in the cosmere - Brandon was comparing Azir to Elendel and Silverlight, so it must be a larger cosmere comparison. But he does call it a city... I thought he referred to the Restaurant at the End of the Cosmere as more of a space station, last time he mentioned it. (i.e., not attached to a planet.) I don't know if something like that would match the description of a city... unless it were a Shadesmar city.

As far as naming conventions, I don't think it fits on Sel, Scadrial, Roshar, or Nalthis. (Maybe Southern Scadrial? I don't think we've seen any city names, yet.) Not First of the Sun, either. It would fit on Threnody (Lastport) or maybe on Taldain (Lossand).

5 minutes ago, Vindicator said:

I'd ask but I really don't want to know what NSFW stuff Tumblr has come up with in the Cosmere.

For the most part, we don't do that. While there are a very small portion of those who do, it's well-regulated, and I don't personally participate in it, and most people in the fandom would either properly tag it (so that you could block it) or just not post it.

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

Just now, Kandra-in-disguise said:

For the most part, we don't do that. While there are a very small portion of those who do, it's well-regulated, and I don't personally participate in it, and most people in the fandom would either properly tag it or just not post it.

But you ask for bones! Then again, bones are probably not as NSFW-worthy as what I had in mind...

3 minutes ago, Vindicator said:

But you ask for bones! Then again, bones are probably not as NSFW-worthy as what I had in mind...

I want skulls. Bones. Things like that. Like any good kandra, all I want are skeletons. It's rather innocent, at least from that perspective...

I'm really just here to make bad kandra jokes. :P

Really, I'm just an artist, not a theorist (or whatever). But...my bet is, the place called Silverlight will surprise us all, eventually...xD

Honestly, I'm kinda hoping we do get RAFO'd on this. I wouldn't mind if it's in AU, but I would find it hilarious if we got this name now, but then don't get to know what it even is until a few years from now.

2 minutes ago, Kandra-in-disguise said:

I want skulls. Bones. Things like that. Like any good kandra, all I want are skeletons. It's rather innocent, at least from that perspective...

I'm really just here to make bad kandra jokes. :P

Really, I'm just an artist, not a theorist (or whatever). But...my bet is, the place called Silverlight will surprise us all, eventually...xD

I feel like you could make a song out of this. But I'm a writer, not a music composer...

As for Silverlight, I am eagerly waiting for Brandon to answer. It's 10.24 am here, I woke up a couple of hours ago, took a look at his reply and went 'did I just inadvertently get a new Cosmere WoB'?

1 minute ago, Vindicator said:

I feel like you could make a song out of this. But I'm a writer, not a music composer...

As for Silverlight, I am eagerly waiting for Brandon to answer. It's 10.24 am here, I woke up a couple of hours ago, took a look at his reply and went 'did I just inadvertently get a new Cosmere WoB'?

Oh, and a writer too, but writing is art, just like history is art (if you ask Shai, not Jasnah; also, if you ever wanted to know one of the biggest debates in that discipline, it's whether history is science or art, these two characters showcase that...no one really considers that it's probably both), and painting and music are art, too. xD

I kind of expect him to be a bit of a troll, but we'll see.

2 minutes ago, Kandra-in-disguise said:

Oh, and a writer too, but writing is art, just like history is art (if you ask Shai, not Jasnah; also, if you ever wanted to know one of the biggest debates in that discipline, it's whether history is science or art, these two characters showcase that...no one really considers that it's probably both), and painting and music are art, too. xD

I kind of expect him to be a bit of a troll, but we'll see.

Agreed on the writing part, intrigued by how you assert that history is partially art - but that may be a discussion for somewhere else!

I now have this mental image of Brandon gleefully rubbing his hands, thinking well, this guy has been trying his best to avoid a RAFO and asking questions about mundane stuff in an attempt to get somewhere! I'll throw him a bone and mention something I won't even write about until about two decades later so he gets curious, asks too much, gets a RAFO and I can scurry away to write another novel nobody knew I had in mind! HAHAHAHAHA! *Lightning flashes outside Brandon's Hemalurgic lab, briefly revealing tons... upon tons of tons of... half-written novels*

13 minutes ago, Vindicator said:

Agreed on the writing part, intrigued by how you assert that history is partially art - but that may be a discussion for somewhere else!

I now have this mental image of Brandon gleefully rubbing his hands, thinking well, this guy has been trying his best to avoid a RAFO and asking questions about mundane stuff in an attempt to get somewhere! I'll throw him a bone and mention something I won't even write about until about two decades later so he gets curious, asks too much, gets a RAFO and I can scurry away to write another novel nobody knew I had in mind! HAHAHAHAHA! *Lightning flashes outside Brandon's Hemalurgic lab, briefly revealing tons... upon tons of tons of... half-written novels*

The history part is something that would take a long time to explain, and...may not make sense to most people on the outside, because you'd need a class in historigraphy to understand it. That said, I appreciate Shai because, as someone who has studied history (too), it really is a bit like forging the past based on what people think happened and, sometimes, who that person (or those people) think they are. It's also a "lie", a story, and the best historians realize that though they gather evidence/primary sources to compile what they think happened, fitting it best to the evidence that they have, the best they can achieve is a approximate truth, a beautiful lie wrapped up in the facts gathered which fits those 'facts' best.

That's probably even more confusing. Anyway.

Yes,I imagine he's like, oh, I dropped that? Time to let it stew for a few decades. Have a RAFO.

1 minute ago, Kandra-in-disguise said:

The history part is something that would take a long time to explain, and...may not make sense to most people on the outside, because you'd need a class in historigraphy to understand it. That said, I appreciate Shai because, as someone who has studied history (too), it really is a bit like forging the past based on what people think happened and, sometimes, who that person (or those people) think they are. It's also a "lie", a story, and the best historians realize that though they gather evidence/primary sources to compile what they think happened, fitting it best to the evidence that they have, the best they can achieve is a approximate truth, a beautiful lie wrapped up in the facts gathered which fits those 'facts' best.

That's probably even more confusing. Anyway.

Yes,I imagine he's like, oh, I dropped that? Time to let it stew for a few decades. Have a RAFO.

That actually doesn't confuse me. I get what you mean - history is a warped tale, and if you go back to prehistory it's even harder to get the objective truth, because of the lack of records. On another note, I loved The Emperor's Soul, I think I consider it the best short story I've ever read. 

Maybe he has a 'tantalizing Cosmere WoB to drop on Reddit' counter and he just hit it, eh? 

2 minutes ago, Vindicator said:

That actually doesn't confuse me. I get what you mean - history is a warped tale, and if you go back to prehistory it's even harder to get the objective truth, because of the lack of records. On another note, I loved The Emperor's Soul, I think I consider it the best short story I've ever read. 

Maybe he has a 'tantalizing Cosmere WoB to drop on Reddit' counter and he just hit it, eh? 

So yeah, on a personal level, I found Shai's life and experience quite familiar... It was odd, considering that she was using it to create copies/approximates of the real thing, but that's exactly what historians must do.

I have often run into this among my professors... More along the line of, "you're such a talented writer who can, at times, create beautiful prose and imagery, why the hell are you writing history?"

As always, it's for the art. That doesn't mean that I won't create a different kind of art later, though, this is just the form I'm doing now... :P

9 minutes ago, Kandra-in-disguise said:

So yeah, on a personal level, I found Shai's life and experience quite familiar... It was odd, considering that she was using it to create copies/approximates of the real thing, but that's exactly what historians must do.

I have often run into this among my professors... More along the line of, "you're such a talented writer who can, at times, create beautiful prose and imagery, why the hell are you writing history?"

As always, it's for the art. That doesn't mean that I won't create a different kind of art later, though, this is just the form I'm doing now... :P

You do realize creating Godzilla from random bones you picked up is less 'for the art' and more 'for the nightmare-inducing memories' right? :P

1 hour ago, Vindicator said:

You do realize creating Godzilla from random bones you picked up is less 'for the art' and more 'for the nightmare-inducing memories' right? :P

Yes. :D

Though, what I'd much rather find is a set of young dragon bones. I always wanted to be a dragon...*stares longingly at dragonsteel in sanderson's hidden hemalurgic labotory* Some day...I will be. ;D

So Brandon has finally awoken and answered.

"Silverlight is mentioned in the Cosmere collection, I believe, in one of the essays. It's a city somewhere in the Cosmere*, with some relevance you will discover eventually."

I guess this means one month until we find out.

*edited his typo for the Cosmere

13 minutes ago, Vindicator said:

So Brandon has finally awoken and answered.

"Silverlight is mentioned in the Cosmere collection, I believe, in one of the essays. It's a city somewhere in the Cosmere*, with some relevance you will discover eventually."

I guess this means one month until we find out.

*edited his typo for the Cosmere

*swoon*