Recently on Reddit (Oct 2016)

ccstat

Just now, BlackYeti said:

I've re-read the passage, and  I don't see anything to suggest that Szeth lashed Adolin at any point on the plains. I'm guessing that you're thinking of the part that said "Adolin crashed through the tent's fabric and skidded along the stones on his back", but that does sounds more like he was thrown to me.

Is Szeth strong enough with Stormlight to throw a Plated man from the sky? 

Just now, maxal said:

Is Szeth strong enough with Stormlight to throw a Plated man from the sky? 

He wasn't in the sky though, they were inside the tent: Dalinar noticed the tent shaking and shouting coming from inside just before it happened. Szeth wouldn't have had to have thrown him far in order to achieve that. If he had lashed him I would have expected it to have been into the sky like he did with Dalinar, doing so along the ground would never have been very effective with a man in plate.

12 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

He wasn't in the sky though, they were inside the tent: Dalinar noticed the tent shaking and shouting coming from inside just before it happened. Szeth wouldn't have had to have thrown him far in order to achieve that. If he had lashed him I would have expected it to have been into the sky like he did with Dalinar, doing so along the ground would never have been very effective with a man in plate.

Yes but Adolin was on his Plateau, near a chasm where Eshonai had fallen when he spotted Szeth, wasn't he? How did he get from there to Dalinar's tent if not through the sky? I always thought he didn't lash him to the sky because he didn't intend to kill Adolin, just to put him out of combat and/or to send a message to Dalinar.

This scene has always been confusing to me.

5 minutes ago, maxal said:

Yes but Adolin was on his Plateau, near a chasm where Eshonai had fallen when he spotted Szeth, wasn't he? How did he get from there to Dalinar's tent if not through the sky? I always thought he didn't lash him to the sky because he didn't intend to kill Adolin, just to put him out of combat and/or to send a message to Dalinar.

This scene has always been confusing to me.

His orders have always been to slaughter everyone in his way, and he never hesitated from following them to the letter previously. Why would he make an exception for Adolin?

As for how they got to that plateau? I suspect that only Brandon could answer that. We simply didn't see enough of their fight.

30 minutes ago, BlackYeti said:

His orders have always been to slaughter everyone in his way, and he never hesitated from following them to the letter previously. Why would he make an exception for Adolin?

As for how they got to that plateau? I suspect that only Brandon could answer that. We simply didn't see enough of their fight.

During their first encounter, at the king's palace, Szeth also refrains from killing Adolin. I recall when I first read the scene, Adolin drops from the ceiling to the ground and knocks himself out. Szeth casually steps over him. At the time, I had to re-read the scene thrice to make sure he hadn't taken the opportunity to stab Adolin with his Blade. As soon as he was semi-unconscious on the floor, I was convinced Adolin was a goner.

I am aware Szeth's orders were to cause as much chaos as possible, but he has left Adolin alive, twice. 

If nobody has an answer, then it might be fun to ask Brandon for more details. I was always curious to hear how this particular fight went down.