Hi! I'm new!

Alayala_Radiant

Hello! I am new to the community. I read The Way of Kings about 2 years ago and just finished re-reading it today in preparation for Words of Radiance. I haven't read any of Sanderson's other work, but I definitely am going to. That is part of the reason why I joined this site. First, to get more info on his other work from actual readers, and to get insight into The Way of Kings.

I've read a couple of articles and discussions and they are fantastic! They bring up theories and details that I did not think of!

First!

Well, okay, I suppose I ought to welcome you to the forum in general. You should definitely read Brandon's other works, and if you want a recommendation I'd suggest starting with Warbreaker; it's freely available on his website, and unlike his other books, it's a really self-contained story.

I also ought to wish you we'll and enjoy yourself here.

But the most important thing, I'm sure we all know, is that I got here and commented first. I'm petty that way.

Edited by Quiver

First!

Well, okay, I suppose I ought to welcome you to the forum in general. You should definitely read Brandon's other works, and if you want a recommendation I'd suggest starting with Watbreaker; it's freely available on his website, and unlike his other books, it's a really self-contained story.

I also ought to wish you we'll and enjoy yourself here.

But the most important thing, I'm sure we all know, is that I got here and commented first. I'm petty that way.

No. Everyone should start with Mistborn!

No. Everyone should start with Mistborn!

I disagree, since reading through it the first time, I found Mistborn a little confusing. Warbreaker is a much more 'standard' fantasy tale, the sword & sorcery of the Cosmere.

Of course, that distinction might not be obvious unless you've read Brandon's other books, so I'll concede it may not be the perfect starting point...

Quiver: Duly noted that you commented first. However, I already started reading Mistborn yesterday. I'm 4% into the book (according to my Kindle) and am somewhat confused (sorry 17th Sharder). Hopefully it will get less confusing.

Also, I had no idea Warbreaker was available for free! Will definitely make a mental note of that.

Jason Penguin: I read chapters 1-3 of WOR and stopped! It was way too much of a tease and left me feeling empty on the inside knowing that there wasn't anymore coming until March. The release of the additional chapters are not alluring to me. I don't want that empty feeling anymore.

Edited by Alayala_Radiant

Arrow: Duly noted that you commented first. However, I already started reading Mistborn yesterday. I'm 4% into the book (according to my Kindle) and am somewhat confused (sorry 17th Sharder). Hopefully it will get less confusing.

Curses! Foiled again by Brandon's opus.

Mistborn is a little confusing to begin with, or at least I found it so. Still, once you realise how it plays into the pitch for it- what if the Dark Lord won, as the cover says- it starts to make sense. I saw a review that compared The Final Empire to Mordor, and all the ash clouds clogging up the air, and the general sense of resignation pervading the book backs that up for me...

It's fantasy as a deliberate attack on fantasy, sort of. So, it is interesting, but it can only be somewhat unconventional.

So it's pretty lucky you signed onto a board with people who probably know the book inside and out, huh? If you get confused, I'd suggest just reading on,mor posting a topic to ask to get things clarified.

Mistborn is a bit confusing compared to other "normal" fantasy novels but after WoK it's not that special anymore imo. All of Sanderson's books are brilliant as they are but knowing that they're all connected makes them so much more fun and Mistborn is best place to start understanding how it all works. + Mistborn is too good =))

• Chaos locked this topic