Changes of Perception on Reread

Savanorn

It's kind of funny how a reread can change perspectives, I've noted a few things here but feel free to add your own/throw rocks and fruit. 

Shallan

For one, I definitely found Shallan much less annoying on reread. I mean, she still feels too Suey. But I used to find her chapters a chore to get through, and now less so. I still don't really like her wit, mainly because she gets praised for stuff that is just kinda weak and bland (maybe that is Vorin wit?) but I actually found her chapters to be a nice contrast to Kaladin's grim early WoK chapters and his later heavy brooding chapters. In general it was really cool to see her come out of her shell and to (re)learn a lot of the stuff about Roshar with her. 

I will say this though, the mind blanking stuff is frustrating as allthing. 

Kaladin

Wow. You really notice the tendency to self flagellate on the reread, and the racism against lighteyes. Overall I was actually rather surprised how much less I liked Kal on the reread. Not to mention the number of times he could have done better if he'd acted different. Top marks for genuinely struggling to function and having legitimate issues with authority and emotions.

This aside though, I was still pleased with how cool he could be. Maybe because I noticed how close to the edge he was through so much of WoK and how torn up he gets in WoR. 

Adolin

Wow. Adolin is way nicer than I remember. Maybe it is just because he is fighting in so many of his chapters I always kinda imagined him as a brasher, darker character. Maybe that's just because of how WoR ends. But even right up to Sadeas I was in his corner and thinking about it I still am. 

I mean on my first read I was very into Dalinar and Kaladin, but I think in general Adolin comes across as a much nicer, cooler character.  Maybe even too cool. I mean, awesome at the sword, funny, stands up for the little guys, makes choices based on solid evidence, and the one time he does actually lose his temper and snap it is to kill a man who has just declared that he's pretty untouchable, unashamed and won't stop at anything. 

Noting this, I am definitely in Adolin's corner with Sadeas. Much more than I was on the first read. It is pretty comparable to the situation with Straff in Mistborn so far as I see it, maybe even more justified. 

Dalinar

I was actually surprised by how little Dalinar does and how much of a doormat he is for so much of tWoK and how little he does in WoR. Really. I remembered him as pretty solidly badass with the rest of the Highprinces acting like kids, but he drops the ball on so many occasions it is actually surprising. Still a good character, but I spent way more time than was healthy... puzzled...by how he acted. I suppose the big thing that struck me if how often we're told he is a good commander or leader, but how rarely we see it. I'm honestly surprised he got as many Highprinces as he did at the end of WoR. 

Strangely enough, I actually think in a lot of ways Dalinar might be the most human SA character. On the first read, especially with the gap between WoK and WoR,  I didn't really notice just how haunted he was by Gavilar's death and how isolated he was. 

This may have come across as pretty negative, but I don't mean it that way, I actually might be happier with how the books are now. 

Many of Kaladin's chapters have been hard reads for me -- too much brooding, depression, etc. Plus the racism grates after awhile. Though when he's cool, he;s really cool. He was much better in WoR till he lost Syl. Ugh. But with that said, I liked him much more by the end of WoR and looking forward to seeing what happens with him from here on out.  

Shallan was and still is my favorite, though I'm worried about how Veil/Ghostbloods will play out. 

I always liked Dalinar, but I agree with everything else you said. For all his preaching about the codes, I do not think leaving Sadeas alone was the right -- or honorable -- thing to do, and Adolin ends up cleaning up that mess for him.

I know Adolin was added to give us a different perspective on Dalinar, but he also shows us (along with Sebarial) that not all lighteyes have to be arrogant, racist jerks. I'm with maxal in wishing for a stronger arc for Adolin.

I have a very close relative who suffers from depression and anxiety that has effected her vision of herself. This made the Kaladin chapters very hard for me both times I read them. I kept hoping and waiting for him to burst out of it! Finally, when purpose hit, and he had a mission to focus on, he blossomed. It is the same at my house. Purpose has filled the gap and I have my sweetheart back. It makes the book more personal than it probably should be for me. Scary how correct Sanderson is on the depression and the military mission aspect of this. Makes a guy wonder...

On Dalinar, he does more than the action shows. There are a lot of changes going on internally that have changed him from being the Blackthorn bully, to being the benevolent dictator. How he acts from this time forward with the various orders will require the second, not the Blackthorn. My own children have pointed this out in me. It is a critical part of leadership and loyalty. Pretty deep stuff for a fantasy series. I love it!

7 hours ago, Argel said:

Many of Kaladin's chapters have been hard reads for me -- too much brooding, depression, etc. Plus the racism grates after awhile. Though when he's cool, he;s really cool. He was much better in WoR till he lost Syl. Ugh. But with that said, I liked him much more by the end of WoR and looking forward to seeing what happens with him from here on out.  

Shallan was and still is my favorite, though I'm worried about how Veil/Ghostbloods will play out. 

I always liked Dalinar, but I agree with everything else you said. For all his preaching about the codes, I do not think leaving Sadeas alone was the right -- or honorable -- thing to do, and Adolin ends up cleaning up that mess for him.

I know Adolin was added to give us a different perspective on Dalinar, but he also shows us (along with Sebarial) that not all lighteyes have to be arrogant, racist jerks. I'm with maxal in wishing for a stronger arc for Adolin.

I totally get that. To be honest I find it a little annoying that Dal and Shall get Spren that are more...flawed or human. Syl is pretty much the perfect conscience, angel-on-the-shoulder type. It is nice that she is playful and funny, but it is also a little hard that when Syl expresses a judgement she is pretty much never wrong.  

I actually really like the Ghostblood arc. It adds a darker, Cosmere aware angle that is absent from the other chapters. I don't think we have anything to worry about. 

Hel left them and I think Shall will too.

Totally.

Double totally with Adolin. 

3 hours ago, 1stBondsmith said:

I have a very close relative who suffers from depression and anxiety that has effected her vision of herself. This made the Kaladin chapters very hard for me both times I read them. I kept hoping and waiting for him to burst out of it! Finally, when purpose hit, and he had a mission to focus on, he blossomed. It is the same at my house. Purpose has filled the gap and I have my sweetheart back. It makes the book more personal than it probably should be for me. Scary how correct Sanderson is on the depression and the military mission aspect of this. Makes a guy wonder...

On Dalinar, he does more than the action shows. There are a lot of changes going on internally that have changed him from being the Blackthorn bully, to being the benevolent dictator. How he acts from this time forward with the various orders will require the second, not the Blackthorn. My own children have pointed this out in me. It is a critical part of leadership and loyalty. Pretty deep stuff for a fantasy series. I love it!

Oh absolutely. This is more about how when I first read SA I thought Kal was much more of a justified man of action, like, being in his head I saw his dislike of Adolin and the lighteyes as morr fair. Now I see him as still a good character but his flaws and bias are more on the nose. 

I think the bits leading up to and directly after the Honor Chasm are still one of the most powerful sequences I have read.

With Dalinar, I more mean that I didn't realise at first how haunted and ultimately alone he was, especially in much of WoK. How human. Like in Adolin, Kal and Shall chapters we see him painted as this ideal general with this force of personality but we don't see that in his chapters. We see an unsure man struggling to make the court of his brother what he desperately believes they can and should be and who, honestly, miscalculates and fails a lot.

How has my perception of the four main characters have changed upon re-read?

Shallan

She has been a pretty even character for me. Unlike many readers, I have enjoyed her chapters back in WoK, but knowing she would be the major focus of WoR had caused a slight anguish within me. In other words, whereas I was positive towards Shallan, as a character, I wasn't convinced she would carry on the main narrative as efficiently as Kaladin did back in WoK. Her first chapter seemed to prove me right as I disliked having her shrinking down to an unassertive girl, once again, taking no for an answer, not when I had the impression she had progress since her first chapter back in WoK. Luckily, it was short-lived as her she picks on it rather quickly. I was a huge fan of the shipwreck story arc, always effective this one, and I love having her being forced to evolve without Jasnah. I love how she made her way to the Shattered Plains: I thought it was a good story arc. This being said, I was not a huge fan of the Ghostblood investigation story arc. It is nothing against Shallan as a character, it merely is I don't enjoy infiltration/investigation story arcs all that much. 

Upon re-read, my perception of Shallan hasn't changed much. However, since her story arc seems to converge into the whole Ghostblood business, I am not overly excited about her future arc going into book 3. Oh, I am sure I will end up liking it, but since I have no idea what to expect, it is hard to built momentum and excitement.

Kaladin

Kaladin is the character which has suffered the most from re-read and, more importantly, from post-WoR discussions. I came into WoR preferring his character over everyone else. I finished the book, still rooting for him even if Adolin had become my favorite by then, but I am not medium cold towards him. It is hard to put in words how my change of heart operated with his character and I fear it wouldn't be very cohesive if I were to try. Still, in order to further expand my thoughts, I'd say re-reads have highlighted how Kaladin-centrist the Stormlight Archive truly was, as a story. It wasn't so obvious when I first read the book: for instance, I really thought Adolin was one of the next focus character. Re-read have only served to indicate me how wrong I have been. Also, while I was mildly annoyed at Kaladin's prison scenes, upon first read, I couldn't stand them afterwards. I have always disliked the chasm scene, but re-reads have only serve to exacerbate this feeling, making me see how convenient they were and how everything ends up being about Kaladin. I'll also admit I initially skipped those scenes during my first read because the lack of Adolin's POV within Part 4 bothered me (looking bad for book 3, huh?).

This being said what brought the character down was the book 3 excerpt which picture him being consistent with himself, complaining, whining and being depressed. At this point in time, I realized I just didn't want to read his POV anymore if it were to keep on revolving around the same theme, not when there were other characters I found more interesting gravitating around him. He is the character I am the least interested in reading going into book 3 and it saddens me because the Kholinar story arc looks awesome, but I just don't want to read another book focusing almost solely on him.

Dalinar

Dalinar is a character I find interesting because I enjoy his relationships with his family members and his past is intriguing enough I'd take a whole book focusing just on it. I however never found his present day story arc to be overly interesting. When I read WoR, my thoughts were Dalinar is taking a well-deserved step back to make more room for his more interesting son. I am still baffled at how wrong I have been back then, but I did put Adolin as a more major character than Dalinar. After all, Dalinar doesn't do much and while he does have POV time, not much happen during those but him exposing his plans. He seemed a convenient character, one we need to explain the narrative, to steer the plot, but he isn't an action-oriented one. It was obvious while Dalinar called the shots, Adolin did all the work.

My perception of him hardly changed upon re-read. Going into book 3, it is his past I am the most keen on reading and how his relationship with his son is going to evolve following the events at the end of WoR. So essentially, I find Dalinar interesting because he is Adolin's dad and I absolutely adore Adolin.

Adolin

I saved the best one for the last. Adolin is a character I have genuinely liked since early WoK as I have always found his viewpoints interesting to read, not because they contained information or world-building data, but because he is a fun character to read, stuff happening to him is easily relatable and engaging. He became my favorite character right after chapter 28, back in WoR, right when he realized how feeble his relationships all were. I know I may be the only reader, including the author, who thinks this may be the most refreshing story arc to read within a work of fantasy, but seeing an extroverted character struggling with friendship struck such a resonant cord in me, it was all I wanted to read afterwards. Basically, I love Adolin because he isn't the Hero: he does not need to Honorable at all cost, even when it is stupid to do so. He never speaks in God-like one liner and if comes across as mouthy and brag-y, at times, his inner POV has made it clear it was nothing more than a front. And I Love That. I love the idea of deconstructing perfection, to show it comes at a cost and nothing is ever as it seems as being perfect is freaking hard.

Re-reads have only cemented how much I enjoy his character, but it sadly also highlighted how little focus he truly has. Sure, he has viewpoints, but he does not have much climaxes and whenever it does, it usually ends up being relevant to someone else but him. While I initially thought murdering Sadeas would turn into his own story arc where he has to deal with the aftermath, the author has made it quite clear it would be about Dalinar. So, once again, Adolin's major moments of actions end up being irrelevant to him. Thus, re-reads have not changed my perception of the character in any other ways but positive, but they have completely disheartened me as to his future. 

Going into book 3, there is no POV I want to read as much as Adolin's. There is no other character I find more interesting, at this point in time, but Adolin. He is unpredictable. Unlike everyone else, we have NO idea where he is going and just for this, he easily trumps over predictable Kaladin. He has the potential for a huge engaging growth arc as, unlike Kaladin, he does not have to move up, he can both either ways. He isn't bond to the lower end by having started as an under-dog. He's also the one character who hasn't been chosen by a spren which opens the door all wide for inner conflicts which are bond to be more innovative than Kaladin having survivor's guilt and being unassuming. Main protagonists always are the Chosen Ones: it would have been great to have one being forced to deal with not being chosen. And if he does make it to Radianthood, it is amazing if it comes through his Blade because the journey to revive a dead-spren should be a major one and not a mere side arc.

*Sigh*

40 minutes ago, maxal said:

How has my perception of the four main characters have changed upon re-read?

Shallan

She has been a pretty even character for me. Unlike many readers, I have enjoyed her chapters back in WoK, but knowing she would be the major focus of WoR had caused a slight anguish within me. In other words, whereas I was positive towards Shallan, as a character, I wasn't convinced she would carry on the main narrative as efficiently as Kaladin did back in WoK. Her first chapter seemed to prove me right as I disliked having her shrinking down to an unassertive girl, once again, taking no for an answer, not when I had the impression she had progress since her first chapter back in WoK. Luckily, it was short-lived as her she picks on it rather quickly. I was a huge fan of the shipwreck story arc, always effective this one, and I love having her being forced to evolve without Jasnah. I love how she made her way to the Shattered Plains: I thought it was a good story arc. This being said, I was not a huge fan of the Ghostblood investigation story arc. It is nothing against Shallan as a character, it merely is I don't enjoy infiltration/investigation story arcs all that much. 

Upon re-read, my perception of Shallan hasn't changed much. However, since her story arc seems to converge into the whole Ghostblood business, I am not overly excited about her future arc going into book 3. Oh, I am sure I will end up liking it, but since I have no idea what to expect, it is hard to built momentum and excitement.

Kaladin

Kaladin is the character which has suffered the most from re-read and, more importantly, from post-WoR discussions. I came into WoR preferring his character over everyone else. I finished the book, still rooting for him even if Adolin had become my favorite by then, but I am not medium cold towards him. It is hard to put in words how my change of heart operated with his character and I fear it wouldn't be very cohesive if I were to try. Still, in order to further expand my thoughts, I'd say re-reads have highlighted how Kaladin-centrist the Stormlight Archive truly was, as a story. It wasn't so obvious when I first read the book: for instance, I really thought Adolin was one of the next focus character. Re-read have only served to indicate me how wrong I have been. Also, while I was mildly annoyed at Kaladin's prison scenes, upon first read, I couldn't stand them afterwards. I have always disliked the chasm scene, but re-reads have only serve to exacerbate this feeling, making me see how convenient they were and how everything ends up being about Kaladin. I'll also admit I initially skipped those scenes during my first read because the lack of Adolin's POV within Part 4 bothered me (looking bad for book 3, huh?).

This being said what brought the character down was the book 3 excerpt which picture him being consistent with himself, complaining, whining and being depressed. At this point in time, I realized I just didn't want to read his POV anymore if it were to keep on revolving around the same theme, not when there were other characters I found more interesting gravitating around him. He is the character I am the least interested in reading going into book 3 and it saddens me because the Kholinar story arc looks awesome, but I just don't want to read another book focusing almost solely on him.

Dalinar

Dalinar is a character I find interesting because I enjoy his relationships with his family members and his past is intriguing enough I'd take a whole book focusing just on it. I however never found his present day story arc to be overly interesting. When I read WoR, my thoughts were Dalinar is taking a well-deserved step back to make more room for his more interesting son. I am still baffled at how wrong I have been back then, but I did put Adolin as a more major character than Dalinar. After all, Dalinar doesn't do much and while he does have POV time, not much happen during those but him exposing his plans. He seemed a convenient character, one we need to explain the narrative, to steer the plot, but he isn't an action-oriented one. It was obvious while Dalinar called the shots, Adolin did all the work.

My perception of him hardly changed upon re-read. Going into book 3, it is his past I am the most keen on reading and how his relationship with his son is going to evolve following the events at the end of WoR. So essentially, I find Dalinar interesting because he is Adolin's dad and I absolutely adore Adolin.

Adolin

I saved the best one for the last. Adolin is a character I have genuinely liked since early WoK as I have always found his viewpoints interesting to read, not because they contained information or world-building data, but because he is a fun character to read, stuff happening to him is easily relatable and engaging. He became my favorite character right after chapter 28, back in WoR, right when he realized how feeble his relationships all were. I know I may be the only reader, including the author, who thinks this may be the most refreshing story arc to read within a work of fantasy, but seeing an extroverted character struggling with friendship struck such a resonant cord in me, it was all I wanted to read afterwards. Basically, I love Adolin because he isn't the Hero: he does not need to Honorable at all cost, even when it is stupid to do so. He never speaks in God-like one liner and if comes across as mouthy and brag-y, at times, his inner POV has made it clear it was nothing more than a front. And I Love That. I love the idea of deconstructing perfection, to show it comes at a cost and nothing is ever as it seems as being perfect is freaking hard.

Re-reads have only cemented how much I enjoy his character, but it sadly also highlighted how little focus he truly has. Sure, he has viewpoints, but he does not have much climaxes and whenever it does, it usually ends up being relevant to someone else but him. While I initially thought murdering Sadeas would turn into his own story arc where he has to deal with the aftermath, the author has made it quite clear it would be about Dalinar. So, once again, Adolin's major moments of actions end up being irrelevant to him. Thus, re-reads have not changed my perception of the character in any other ways but positive, but they have completely disheartened me as to his future. 

Going into book 3, there is no POV I want to read as much as Adolin's. There is no other character I find more interesting, at this point in time, but Adolin. He is unpredictable. Unlike everyone else, we have NO idea where he is going and just for this, he easily trumps over predictable Kaladin. He has the potential for a huge engaging growth arc as, unlike Kaladin, he does not have to move up, he can both either ways. He isn't bond to the lower end by having started as an under-dog. He's also the one character who hasn't been chosen by a spren which opens the door all wide for inner conflicts which are bond to be more innovative than Kaladin having survivor's guilt and being unassuming. Main protagonists always are the Chosen Ones: it would have been great to have one being forced to deal with not being chosen. And if he does make it to Radianthood, it is amazing if it comes through his Blade because the journey to revive a dead-spren should be a major one and not a mere side arc.

*Sigh*

Longer reply than OP, colour me impressed. Just don't Awaken something with me afterward. Ha ha ha. 

But srs. 

For Shall,

I hope the infiltration bit is over now. They know who Veil is, I hope it turns out the ghostbloods actually have more depth and relevance than the whole Amaram business *hisses* and it ends up going somewhere. 

Like, it is worth noting they wanted Amaram dead before anyone else knew what sort of slime he was, and they know about Vargo, and they worldhop. I could see them actually being relevant, interesting, players if properly directed. 

I'm excited for 3 and her.

I'm pretty interested that a few people have had the same take on Kal. Cool at first glance but with a lot of burrs subsequently. Could you expand on what you mean about the SA being Kaladin centric? Do you mean how every character connects around him? Or do you mean how most big things are done by him?

I mean, is it the relationship, the events, or both that aggravate you?

I will say this, I do appreciate that Kaladin does feel more like a flawed and human character with real issues than Shallan. 

Dalinar

Interesting take, what did you think of him as a POV into the history of Roshar? This was one of the main lures for me on reread.

I definitely liked his WoK final vision with Tanavast, and it spoke a lot to me how he realised his god was dead and that he would fight on in the knowledge that what killed him could be killed. 

Adolin

This I think we can both agree on. I am hoping for better Adolin focus in the future, especially with more arcs as funnily enough his commentary for friends is a lot like his PoV; he has many but they are rarely very deep or meaningful.

There are a few solid ones, like when he worries his father is losing his mind, when he is duelling and when he realises that following the Codes means that war is about a war. Not to mention Sadeas  stuff. But it is kinda of sad how limited his PoVs are in both arc and buildup.

Personally, I'd ditch the Eshonai stuff in favour of Adolin. 

10 hours ago, Savanorn said:

With Dalinar, I more mean that I didn't realise at first how haunted and ultimately alone he was, especially in much of WoK. How human. Like in Adolin, Kal and Shall chapters we see him painted as this ideal general with this force of personality but we don't see that in his chapters. We see an unsure man struggling to make the court of his brother what he desperately believes they can and should be and who, honestly, miscalculates and fails a lot.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Kaladin may have awesome moments, and Shallan's got her interesting moments, but Dalinar is by far the most human out of any of the main characters. He's trying his best to balance managing Gavilar's legacy as well as honoring his memory, and this juggling act is what allows Sadeas to take advantage and manipulate him.

Rereading Dalinar's sections also really make me dislike Sadeas.

19 hours ago, Savanorn said:

For Shall,

I hope the infiltration bit is over now. They know who Veil is, I hope it turns out the ghostbloods actually have more depth and relevance than the whole Amaram business *hisses* and it ends up going somewhere. 

Like, it is worth noting they wanted Amaram dead before anyone else knew what sort of slime he was, and they know about Vargo, and they worldhop. I could see them actually being relevant, interesting, players if properly directed. 

I'm excited for 3 and her.

I find Amaram more interesting than the Ghostblood which seems to be the "one too many secret society". Neither Mraize or Iyatil have succeeded in interesting me into their story arc. As I said, it may merely I simply do not enjoy detective story arc, just as I didn't enjoy Marasi's story arc in SoS. Hence, Shallan's story arc doesn't look overly promising, to me, but since I love the character, I am willing to give her the benefit of doubt.

19 hours ago, Savanorn said:

I'm pretty interested that a few people have had the same take on Kal. Cool at first glance but with a lot of burrs subsequently. Could you expand on what you mean about the SA being Kaladin centric? Do you mean how every character connects around him? Or do you mean how most big things are done by him?

I mean, is it the relationship, the events, or both that aggravate you?

I will say this, I do appreciate that Kaladin does feel more like a flawed and human character with real issues than Shallan. 

Kaladin is either a hit or a miss with the readers: it is either they love him to the death or they are annoyed with him to the death. For my part, I am surprised as to how my perception has changed since I read WoR. I used to love the character, but I now have a hard time looking forward to his story with interest. 

What I meant by "Kaladin centrist" is the fact the majority of the story arcs end up being relevant to him, as a character. It seems as if every event happening within their world revolves around Kaladin. I love Epic Fantasy for the sense of grandeur is usually offers, for the wide engaging casts of individuals evolving through it, but so far, SA has made it about Kaladin and nearly almost just Kaladin. Oh there are other characters, but they are never as predominant as Kaladin.

Upon re-read, I felt the author was putting way too much stock into Kaladin's story arc: he is not betrayed once, he is betrayed several times. He isn't just hang into a Highstorm, he is also beaten bloody by soldiers. He doesn't just loose Syl, he also falls into a chasm where he single-handily fights off a chasmfiend, of all creatures. Afterwards, he does not just realize he has been wrong, he does it while being bloody and dying. He doesn't just defeat Szeth, he does it in grandeur, showing off how in the matter of a few weeks, he is stronger than him, but he doesn't kill him as he is above that now.

It was just too much. I could also add up how the duel spree ended being nothing more than a ploy to put Kaladin in prison which ended up on several chapters focusing on him. The chasm scene was his own novella inside a book already focusing Kaladin. 

Hence, the story revolves too much about Kaladin. It would be great and refreshing is NOT every single action scene were his and if he weren't ALWAYS saving the day. 

As for his flaws, I felt I could appreciate them if I could rightly blame him for them, but he has had such a horrific past, he is practically guilt less.

23 hours ago, Savanorn said:

Dalinar

Interesting take, what did you think of him as a POV into the history of Roshar? This was one of the main lures for me on reread.

I definitely liked his WoK final vision with Tanavast, and it spoke a lot to me how he realised his god was dead and that he would fight on in the knowledge that what killed him could be killed. 

I enjoyed his final vision with Tanavast, but what interests me with Dalinar is his relationships with his sons, his nephew and Kaladin. I find those illustrates his weaknesses in such a perfect way, I wish for the author to extrapolate on those. I don't mind if Dalinar is used to drop info pertaining to the history of Roshar.

23 hours ago, Savanorn said:

Adolin

This I think we can both agree on. I am hoping for better Adolin focus in the future, especially with more arcs as funnily enough his commentary for friends is a lot like his PoV; he has many but they are rarely very deep or meaningful.

There are a few solid ones, like when he worries his father is losing his mind, when he is duelling and when he realises that following the Codes means that war is about a war. Not to mention Sadeas  stuff. But it is kinda of sad how limited his PoVs are in both arc and buildup.

Personally, I'd ditch the Eshonai stuff in favour of Adolin. 

Adolin's POV could be deep and meaningful: he has a lot of potential. His position is unique and being deeply related to all characters makes him the best vessel for internal conflict. Sadly, his viewpoints are too limited to turn his story into a real focus arc. Unfortunately, while I initially thought his character could only grow from WoR's cliffhanger, it appears as if his viewpoints will be equally limited in book 3. 

I'd ditch anyone in favor of Adolin, but I have geared myself for his character development being a massive disappointment in SA3.

I reread it a couple of times too Kaladin is still the character i like to read the most ( maybe it's because he's genuine hero acts ), though  i found Dalinar's character as the best of SA after a couple of rereads, Adolin is next to the two(i had the same opinion with seeing him as more jerkish after the reread he's not a jerk at all and his actions are justified ). I dislike Shallan the most even after rereads, though i did like her the most next to Kaladin and Dalinar on my first readthrough. 

I found Szeth's fighting chapters nice (especially when he assassinated the King of Jah Keved) but the rest i found it annoying to read.

• Chaos locked this topic