Zinc Ferrings/Compounders

cloudjumper

5 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Don't think so. Feruchemical zinc controls mental speed relating to leaps in ideas and the like. Reflexes and other things physical are controlled by feruchemical steel, so that would be what you need to beat an Atium burner.

Actually, I think @cloudjumper is onto something here. Vin didn't beat Zane because she moved faster, she beat him because she perceived what he knew she was about to do, then changed that. Theoretically, zinc should be able to help with exactly that. Steel helps them move faster, but faster isn't enough if they know where you're going before you move. Changing your attack at the last instant is what will defeat Atium if you don't have Atium or Electrum yourself.

jW

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:

Actually, I think @cloudjumper is onto something here. Vin didn't beat Zane because she moved faster, she beat him because she perceived what he knew she was about to do, then changed that. Theoretically, zinc should be able to help with exactly that. Steel helps them move faster, but faster isn't enough if they know where you're going before you move. Changing your attack at the last instant is what will defeat Atium if you don't have Atium or Electrum yourself.

jW

Yes, zinc could work in the manner you describe, though just because you can think fast enough to analyze what how they're acting, doesn't mean you can actually act fast enough. On the other hand, steel gives you the speed to strike them. Even if they recognize that you're going to perform three strikes at three different locations around you in one instant, they wouldn't be able to  actually act fast enough. Also, steel likely gives a slight increase in mental processing like Atium, so they could probably avoid any blocks the Atium user makes. Of course, if you really wanted to be efficient at killing Atium users, just be a full feruchemical or hemalurgically gain the appropriate powers and tap zinc and steel. Really makes me wonder the synod had so much trouble against the inquisitors. Probably spent too much time scholaring and not enough time learning how to not die.

I would also say that Allomantic Tin could have a similar effect.  A:Tin F:Zinc would probably be the best twin born for fighting Atium in this manner.  Analysis of data to the point of precognition.  One of my favorite concepts.  Feruchemical Zinc + Feruchemical Tin would work just as well, but it would require a Full Feruchemist, who I would believe able to fight an Atium misting any day, with the proper training and experience.

8 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

Yes, zinc could work in the manner you describe, though just because you can think fast enough to analyze what how they're acting, doesn't mean you can actually act fast enough. On the other hand, steel gives you the speed to strike them. Even if they recognize that you're going to perform three strikes at three different locations around you in one instant, they wouldn't be able to  actually act fast enough. Also, steel likely gives a slight increase in mental processing like Atium, so they could probably avoid any blocks the Atium user makes. Of course, if you really wanted to be efficient at killing Atium users, just be a full feruchemical or hemalurgically gain the appropriate powers and tap zinc and steel. Really makes me wonder the synod had so much trouble against the inquisitors. Probably spent too much time scholaring and not enough time learning how to not die.

Don't forget that even then some of the Inquisitors might have managed to gain Feruchemical steel or other powers, so they would have had a huge advantage if so.  And yeah, they weren't fighters and didn't even think to train that way probably.

jW

4 hours ago, Jondesu said:

Don't forget that even then some of the Inquisitors might have managed to gain Feruchemical steel or other powers, so they would have had a huge advantage if so.  And yeah, they weren't fighters and didn't even think to train that way probably.

jW

If I recall correctly, the inquisitors went north to kill the Synod in Well of Ascension, which is why they weren't around during Elend becoming king and everything. Also,  they didn't gain feruchemical steel powers until after Ruin was freed and gave them the knowledge necessary. None the less, the Synod really should've prepared themselves better. 

• Chaos locked this topic