Question about passage from Final Empire

Tharatariel10

Hey - so I have ONLY finished the first Mistborn (Final Empire).  Please keep that in mind when you answer!

I have a question about a passage from Chapter 31, p. 522 (paperback) Vin and Kelsier are talking on the roof and she has just told him she could see through Shan's coppercloud.  Kelsier is asking her to sense what metal he's burning through his copper...

For a moment, she thought she felt something.  Something very strange--a slow pulsing, like a distant drum, unlike any Allomantic rhythm she'd felt before.  But it wasn't coming from Kelsier.  It was distant...far away.  She focused harder, trying to pick out the direction it was coming from.

And then she ends up sensing Kelsier's metal instead.

SO - my question is, it is the Lord Ruler she is sensing?  I kind of guessed that at first, but then again, we all know Sanderson is NOT a wasteful writer.  He never mentions something that isn't important, in some way (even if it's not answered until way later.)  I feel like he never actually answered the question of what she sensed.

Should I keep this passage in mind for the next book?  

This may be a short thread, since these are almost yes or no questions (sorry!) but it's really bugging me.  Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, Tharatariel10 said:

Hey - so I have ONLY finished the first Mistborn (Final Empire).  Please keep that in mind when you answer!

I have a question about a passage from Chapter 31, p. 522 (paperback) Vin and Kelsier are talking on the roof and she has just told him she could see through Shan's coppercloud.  Kelsier is asking her to sense what metal he's burning through his copper...

And then she ends up sensing Kelsier's metal instead.

SO - my question is, it is the Lord Ruler she is sensing?  I kind of guessed that at first, but then again, we all know Sanderson is NOT a wasteful writer.  He never mentions something that isn't important, in some way (even if it's not answered until way later.)  I feel like he never actually answered the question of what she sensed.

Should I keep this passage in mind for the next book?  

This may be a short thread, since these are almost yes or no questions (sorry!) but it's really bugging me.  Thanks in advance!

I can't really say anything without spoiling it, but the second book gives answers.

She is sensing the Well of Ascension

Awesome! Thanks, guys! That's all I wanted to know!

1 hour ago, kenod said:

I can't really say anything without spoiling it, but the second book gives answers.

Hide contents

She is sensing the Well of Ascension

^^ I had an inkling....dang! I gotta get to that second book!

20 hours ago, Khyrindor said:

Very impressive snag! Definitely keep that in mind. :)

Thanks!  To be fair, it was on a second perusal.  Sooo, I'm not that cool.

15 hours ago, KnightRadiant said:

As Brandon would answer this: "RAFO".

I have NO idea what that means.... still kinda new to this. ???

13 minutes ago, Tharatariel10 said:

I have NO idea what that means.... still kinda new to this. ???

RAFO stands for "Read And Find Out". Usually Brandon answers questions with that when he doesn't want to tell us the actual answer (cause it would give too much away). So they're just encouraging you to read the next book!

On 7/26/2016 at 5:02 PM, Radiant Returned said:

Mistborn is my favorite trilogy ever. If you loved Final Empire, Book 2 "Well of Ascension" is just as good IMO, and Book 3 is even better.

The first Mistborn trilogy is my favorite as well! I love the first book on its own and then I treat book 2 and book 3 as if they are one large book haha. I think 2 and 3 can be a bit slow in places but the payoff of finishing the series is worth every moment.

9 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

The first Mistborn trilogy is my favorite as well! I love the first book on its own and then I treat book 2 and book 3 as if they are one large book haha. I think 2 and 3 can be a bit slow in places but the payoff of finishing the series is worth every moment.

Yeah when it comes to trilogy's nothing beats mistborn for me. Even though i found Wax and Wayne not as great.

Book 3 is so sick. And here i was thinking there is no way they could top book 1 then book 2 did (well i really like what happened) and then book 3 went crazy.

GUYS THIS IS TOTALLY NOT HELPING!! I was going to wait until I see my sister in August to borrow the second book and now I'm like way too impatient!!! *runs to the library* 

Patience is a virtue....which I do not possess :P haha

I mean, honestly, I have loved every book I've read of his so far so I intend to be in love with the rest!  Good to know we're all on the same page...

1 hour ago, Radiant Returned said:

To be fair, the ending to Martin's and Rothfuss' series haven't come out yet, but The Hero of Ages is right now the best ending to a series I've ever read. So much awesomeness. 

Good point though I seriously have doubts if Martin will ever finish ASOIAF. Rothfuss I have a little more hope for (I just started rereading for, like, the 12th time). Name of the Wind is, hands down, one of the most beautifully written books I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

7 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

Good point though I seriously have doubts if Martin will ever finish ASOIAF. Rothfuss I have a little more hope for (I just started rereading for, like, the 12th time). Name of the Wind is, hands down, one of the most beautifully written books I have ever had the pleasure of reading.

Rothfuss and Sanderson are my favorite authors. I can't choose. Sanderson I love the scope and individually his books are amazing. The only books I've enjoyed individually more are the two Rothfuss has written. Like you said, so beautifully written and an amazing story. That last book is going to be amazing. 

3 hours ago, Radiant Returned said:

Rothfuss and Sanderson are my favorite authors. I can't choose. Sanderson I love the scope and individually his books are amazing. The only books I've enjoyed individually more are the two Rothfuss has written. Like you said, so beautifully written and an amazing story. That last book is going to be amazing. 

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I just finished listening to Name of the Wind and wanted to share some thoughts. Sorry for spelling isssues, but like I said I listned to it. 

Really good narrator, the author is a great wordsmith, and parts of it are really engaging (couldn't wait to find out what happens). On the downside slow beginning, Denna annoyed me, and that whole Draccus bit lasted forever and was a little anticlimactic.

All in all a really good listen and look forward to the next one. Any estimates for the release of book 3? Next year?

I've never liked audiobooks so we differ there, I don't know how much that affects things. The beginning is slow (Rothfuss has said before that he thinks that's the books biggest weakness) but when I read it I still love it, it's written so beautifully and it builds up so many important things in the story. The draccus bit is a bit long but not abnormally to me, and I though the climax to that scene in Trebon was amazingly done. 

And I can't agree with you on Denna. The story/interaction between the two of them is the most perfect romantic story I've ever read. Personally has a loooot of great quotes and moments that make my life lmao. 

Definitely a thread hijack, but for anyone who hasn't read it, Rothfuss also has a very great, scientific magic system with a deep world and beautiful writing. 10/10 recommend. 

• Chaos locked this topic