Quick Question

MrMistborn

Question

Recently re-reading Stormlight and came across a quote from Hoid about him having another person as old as him in the area and them not getting along (can't remember the exact wording), is there any WOBs or info on who that other might be? It's nagging at me

11 answers to this question

Like Samaldin said Hoid talked about Cultivation's vessel. She was the Tanavast (Honor)'s lover. And for some reason she doesn't like Hoid (but to be honest I don't know if it is a common reaction of the Shard's vessel to hoid)

Well, there's a WoB where Brandon challenged some for making assumptions, which that takes the assertion as fact. There were two assumptions in the question: that Hoid doesn't like Cultivation; and that Purelake is Honor's Shardpool and Horneater Peaks is Cultivation's. Further questioning was whether or not Horneater Peaks could have been Honor's Shardpool, so there wasn't really anything conclusive about the first assumption. It could be right, which is why Brandon didn't mention it. Or it could be wrong, and he chose instead to speak about the other assumption rather than clarifying this one.

4 hours ago, Yata said:

Like Samaldin said Hoid talked about Cultivation's vessel. She was the Tanavast (Honor)'s lover. And for some reason she doesn't like Hoid (but to be honest I don't know if it is a common reaction of the Shard's vessel to hoid)

Where did we find out that Cultivation was Tanavast's lover? If that's true, it could certainly explain why she doesn't like Hoid, since he apparently liked to go out drinking with Tanavast.

1 hour ago, DSC01 said:

Where did we find out that Cultivation was Tanavast's lover? If that's true, it could certainly explain why she doesn't like Hoid, since he apparently liked to go out drinking with Tanavast.

Here there is the source

STORMATLAS

Were Cultivation and Honor romantically involved?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes

40 minutes ago, DSC01 said:

Ah ha! So I'm just going to take that as confirmation that Cultivation didn't approve of Hoid taking Tanavast out carousing until something is released that proves otherwise.

Hoid mentioned one time that Tanavast bought him a drink - unless there is more to this story I have no idea why people make such a big deal out of it. Where does "carousing" come from?

The other possibility is that Hoid was referring to Khriss, if she was on Roshar at that time.

Okay, so it was once, but I'm pretty sure he said "drinks." I'm going to go with lots of drinks--enough to make Cultivation angry at Hoid forever. If there's anything I've learned from reading The Wheel of Time four times, it's that women in fantasy books are universally scornful of men going out drinking (unless that woman is Birgitte). 

I really don't know... of course when you began to be 10000 years old you began to be less precise with people's age.

But Khriss can't be more older than some centuries (1000 years old if we want to go extreme)... All the female heralds are thousand of years older than her (well also the male one of course)