Tapping Connection medallions (BoM spoilers)

Eki

So, we know if you fill a Connection metalmind, you get some default Connection to the present location, and can temporarily speak the local language(s).

But that leaves lots of filled metalminds, right? Could someone tap those minds to temporarily get the same connections as whoever filled them? Would translation work the other way? Or would they just get increased Connection to whatever they are already connected to? We know there are metalminds that kind of work both ways: gold just stores generic health, but copper stores specific memories. Does duralumin store specific Connection?

You misread the book I think.

“Because we’re in your lands,” he said. “The visitor always has to wear the medallion. It’s filled with Connection, yah? Blank Connection, to no place. But Connection can’t just be connected to nothing, so when you tap it, it reaches out and connects you to the place where you are. Makes your soul think you were raised in this place instead, so your language changes.”

You fill the metal mind with unkeyed connection (and presumably are less good at communicating) and whilst filling have no ability to talk to people of other locations. Then someone else uses the device, tapping it, and can talk to whoever is most common in a particular location.

If you were a feruchemist you could theoretically make an unkeyed metalmind which allowed communication in a different language, filling it and then letting another tap it to speak your language. Whether that actually works is up to the author.

Oooh, you're right. I must have confused myself somehow. Well, never mind then :D

Although, I wonder how you fill a metalmind with Connection to nowhere... I guess that's a different issue though.

Edited by Eki

2 hours ago, Eki said:

Oooh, you're right. I must have confused myself somehow. Well, never mind then :D

Although, I wonder how you fill a metalmind with Connection to nowhere... I guess that's a different issue though.

I think you may simply store different kind of Connection (for example to place, time, person, shard) and then you may tap those kind of Connection to be used. Without some Mental Image when you tap "Conncection to place" you are connected with the place where you are (like a default outcome). After all "Connection" is just a Spiritual Link of raw Investiture.

Of course I may be wrong.

6 hours ago, BeskarKomrk said:

Well, to create an unkeyed metalmind in the first place, you have to store your Identity. I think that this would essentially also remove your Connections, or at least allow you store "blank" Connection.

I don't think.
Identity is a Cognitive Attribute, your Soul is completely uneffected by this. And the Connections are what your Soul is made of.

• Chaos locked this topic