I type these words in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted.

Hi, there! I have been a fan of Brandon Sanderson's work for... about a decade now, I think, and have recently been trying to dig up the secrets of the cosmere. Now that Mistborn: Secret History has been published, I feel like real work can be done unifying the place. As far as I know, I've read every book Master Sanderson has written, so in theory, nothing can be spoiled for me! In fact, that's most of what I'm here to investigate.

Thanks for your time, and I'll see you 'round!

Welcome to the forums! I really like cosmere and relmatic analysis as well, and we can always use another expert Sanderfan :)

I hope you have fun here on the forums! This is a really cool, fun community, mainly because it's so diverse. I mean, you've been reading Sanderson's books longer than I've been reading chapter books, but here we can bounce ideas off of each other in a way that would be impossible otherwise. It's an amazing atmosphere, and I'm always happy each time a new person becomes part of it.

ETA: Noooo, don't take the cookie! It's spiked! By that I mean Hemarulgically. It fractures your soul and grants you a useless power. Don't sell your soul to Ruin!

Edited by Bugsy6912

15 minutes ago, Bugsy6912 said:

Welcome to the forums! I really like cosmere and relmatic analysis as well, and we can always use another expert Sanderfan :)

I hope you have fun here on the forums! This is a really cool, fun community, mainly because it's so diverse. I mean, you've been reading Sanderson's books longer than I've been reading chapter books, but here we can bounce ideas off of each other in a way that would be impossible otherwise. It's an amazing atmosphere, and I'm always happy each time a new person becomes part of it.

ETA: Noooo, don't take the cookie! It's spiked! By that I mean Hemarulgically. It fractures your soul and grants you a useless power. Don't sell your soul to Ruin!

He's right about the cookies.

22 minutes ago, Bugsy6912 said:

Wait hold on. Spikes don't fracture your soul. Do they? And useless? Allomancy is not useless.

Edited by cloudjumper

4 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

Depends on what exactly he meant by fracture. Also, tell that to a duralumin/aluminium gnat haha

Can't Aluminium be used as a form of anti-magic? IIRC a lashed aluminium gnat could burn aluminium to get rid of the lashing.

P.S.
Also, the spikes don't have to give you a power, they can also just mutate you into some weird being. Transferring powers is only a small part of what Hemalurgy can do.

Edited by kenod
more knowledge

10 hours ago, cloudjumper said:

Wait hold on. Spikes don't fracture your soul. Do they? And useless? Allomancy is not useless.

I thought the welcome to the forums spikes gave useless powers... Like, someone got feruchemical maturity. And they don't fracture your soul, per say, but they damage it and allow in outside influence (why emotional allomancy/Ruin can control Koloss/Kandra/Inquisitors)

19 minutes ago, Wychmire said:

And don't forget that it's Harmony not Ruin.

Since we aren't really in the cosmere, we can't know what point in Scadrial's history we'd fall into. Assuming we can't go into as-of-yet uncharted waters (as in, after the current furthest Mistborn book on the timeline, since there none of our knowledge could be assumed to be correct), the vast majority of the time we could theoretically be equivalent to is a time when

Ruin and preservation were separate and not combined into Harmony.

That's my thought, at least. I suppose you could argue we're equivalent with the furthest written book, jumping forward when a new book is written and plateauing when a new book is being written