sneaky spikes

king of nowhere

This night I had a dream regarding hemalurgy. there was a guy who was spiked, then he woke up thinking it was all a dream. But in truth he was spiked for real, the spike only existed in the cognitive realm and didn't leave any (obvious) trace in the physical, so it was a way to influence someone without that someone knowing.

When I woke up, I got some ideas.

1) would it even be possible to make a cognitive hemalurgic spike that would be hidden somehow in the physical realm?

2) would it be possible, while in shadesmar, to spike someone in the physical realm? If so, would it be possible to do it in a way that the victim perceives it as being a dream?

3) all spikes we've seen have been protruding from the body, clearly visible. But a metalmind can be fully embedded in the flesh; could a spike be completely inside the body, hidden from the outside, possibly even unknown to the one bearing it?

If 2 and 3 are both true, then my dream would at least have a bit of consistency.

4) When you burn a metalmind, you can get an effect different from what you'd get by burning the base metal. That's because the metal is invested. A spike is also a bit of invested metal; could you burn it for some peculiar effect? Yes, I know burning your own spikes is too impractical to be done, but you can burn someone else's. If this worked like with fferuchemy, then burning the spike would grant you the power you'd have gotten by planting the spike in you, multiplied, but it seems to easy to have hemalurgic compounding.

I think I may answer with 100% of accuracy only to the 3rd one.

3) Nothing prevent you from have a Spike full embedded in the flesh, if this is possible without the holder know it... depend from where the Spike is... Probably it may be painfull or "strange" have a piece of metal inside. Marsh tells that the Spikes are painful but we can't if it's just painful to have metal in the body or for some Hemalurgy's interaction.

4) Here we have some contracditory WoB but as far as we know you may create some "not nice" effect twisting your Spirit web with the Spike's one.

About the first and second question, I think that for both of them the answer is no.

The Magic Systems and Hemalurgy in this specific case are how the power of creation manifests itself in the physical realm. You need metal to create a Spike and also if you take a Spike in the Cognive. you probably can't interact a lot with physical beings... and you can't Spike them.

Edited by Yata

Yata pretty well covered questions 3 and 4.  Here are the WoB he was probably referring to, spoilered to save space;

INTERVIEW: Jul, 2009

CZANOS

Would anything interesting happen if an Allomancer Burned a Hemalurgic spike, or a Feruchemist Tapped one? 

BRANDON SANDERSON

Er, well, it’s possible. But you’d have to be burning a Hemalurgic spike that killed you and took your power... Just like you can’t gain anything by burning a metalmind unless you infused it yourself.

TAGS

INTERVIEW: Oct 12th, 2015

QUESTION

If you burn a Hemalurgic spike, would it graft the piece of stolen soul onto your soul?

BRANDON SANDERSON

No, but it would have... There are some interesting effects there.

TAGS

And then a Secret History spoiler for Questions 1 and 2, just in case.

Just a bit on Question 1 and 2 here...

We know from Mistborn SH that there are things that can exist only in the cognitive realm.  We also know that these things have trouble doing anything to things in the physical realm. However, if someone had hopped fully into the cognitive from the physical, with a Hemalurgic spike, then both they and the hemalurgic spike would be invisible to people in the physical.  Whether or not you could use it on someone in the physical, I have no idea.  However, you could probably use it on someone else in the cognitive.  Someone like Kelsier, maybe. :ph34r:

Edited by Magestar

On 17/06/2016 at 0:38 AM, king of nowhere said:

3) all spikes we've seen have been protruding from the body, clearly visible. But a metalmind can be fully embedded in the flesh; could a spike be completely inside the body, hidden from the outside, possibly even unknown to the one bearing it?

Heck, if one could deal some eternal anaesthetic to the area, a spiritual and physical anaesthetic. Then why not?

2 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Heck, if one could deal some eternal anaesthetic to the area, a spiritual and physical anaesthetic. Then why not?

With F-Tin I think you may be able to store always all your touch sense to avoid the pain.

• Chaos locked this topic