Mistborn Trailer suggestions, help needed!

Rookie405

Hey there members!

I am in the process of creating a fan trailer for a Mistborn movie. I'm am here to accept any and all advice, tips, tricks, suggestions, ideas etc.

Main question: How would you personally like to see a Mistborn trailer made?

So far I've created some cool visuals for the trailer i.e ash mounts, title card, red sun, struggling plants etc. 

What else would you guys like to see? What kind of music? What kind of tone? Is narration a good idea? Keep in mind that I do not have access to professional actors so character appearance is limited. 

I'm really looking forward to see what you guys have to say!

Cheers,

Rookie405

If you want help with the music, I could probably make something up for it.

It depends on what you want to focus on. Your images/shots seem to be focused on setting, which is good, but I'd say the majority of the trailer should focus on plot or character.

Also:

How skilled are you with video editing software?

Do you have a green screen available?

I would say my editing skills are proficient. I have a lot of experience with After Effects, Photoshop and Premiere Pro. I'm trying to learn some 3D for this project( but that's going slowly  :P , blasted Element 3D won't work with my Intel graphics card :angry: ) so for now it's Cinema 4D. I whole heartily welcome the idea of you composing some music for this project! And I also agree that the trailer should focus more on plot. At the moment I am torn between creating a more comedic trailer, emphasizing on the heist aspect of the book, or a more serious trailer, focusing on Inquisitors, the Lord Ruler and general injustice of the world of Scandrial.

The hardest thing to do without it seeming cheesy will be the magic.

The Inquisitors and so on requires a more... epic and grand scale, and greater technical effects, while the comedic would be easier to manage. On the flip side, if you think you can pull off the first one, it could be truly awe-inspiring.

If you have a good narration voice, you could narrate a landscape panorama of a red sun over barren hills, perhaps with a distant ashmount, then swing over to an over-the shoulder shot of a noble with a parasol watching laboring skaa, plus a few other clips that I haven't had time to try and think of yet. The narration could be something like:

"What happens when the hero loses? When the world is left broken and burned, under a sky of ash and a scalding red sun? When the villan claims the laughter and joy of the world for himself and his chosen few? Where one hero fails, another must rise. A new hero, one who can match the strength of society's greatest but is not bound by the same chains. What happenes when a slave has powers they shouldn't even know exist, powers that have and will be killed for again and again? Instincts tempered by a life of theivery and betrayal, strength drawn from the past and their hope of a future. That, my friends, is the birth of a revolution"

Edit: Whoops, only read the OP. I'll head back to the drawing board, trying to think of some plot related ideas. Oh, and I think I saw your "Introduce Yourself" post. Have you checked out the song I reccomended?

Slightly off topic: Assuming infinite resources, this is what I'd personally love to make using that:

All her life she has seen

All the meanest side me

They took away the prophet's dream

For a profit on the street

Some scene with Vin pre Kelsier. Maybe being beaten by Reen, maybe with Camon

Now she's stronger than you know

A heart of steel starts to grow

Being beaten by Camon, but determined expression

All his life he's been told

He'll be nothing when he's old

Kelsier steelpushes from rooftop to rooftop

All the kicks and all the blows

He won't ever let it show

Elend meeting with the secret philosophers

'Cause he's stronger than you know

Kelsier saves Vin from Camon, Camon “urks”

When you've been fighting for it all your life

You've been struggling to make things right

That's how a superhero learns to fly

(Every day, every hour, turn that pain into power)

Kelsier vs Hazekillers

When you've fighting for it all your life

You've been working every day and night

Vin training with Kelsier

Oh-oh, oh, oh

Vin at table with crew

Oh-oh, oh, oh

Over the shoulder of Elend, who sees Vin from the balcony

All the hurt, all the lies

Kelsier studies Vin

All the tears that they cry

Kelsier sets vial on table

When the moment is just right

Vin drinks it warily

You'll see fire in their eyes

Vin feels her luck grow exponentially, eyes widen in surprise

'Cause he's stronger than you know

Inquisitor slaughtering, Kelsier dives in

Kelsier vs Inquisitor

That's a how a superhero learns to fly

Vin on the spikeway and/or leaping rooftop to rooftop

Edited by Bugsy6912

I do agree that the hardest thing will be the magic, which is why right now I'm trying very hard to make it look good. I figure a few closeups of  a coin would be cool so at the moment I'm modeling what I think a clip looks like. I don't remember reading about any specific way a clip looks like in the book so for now I just used the symbol for copper on one side and a random symbol on the other side. I was thinking about putting a picture of the Kredik Shaw but to do that I have to make a Kredik Shaw. Maybe I will later lol. At the same time I'm trying to create Kelsiers push/pull storm, which btw is a great idea! Probably gonna use that scene or a similar scene for the climax of the trailer. I'm trying to do it all in After Effects but I think If I can be be clever enough about it I should be able to pull the illusion of an awesome storm.

As for the tone of the trailer I think it would be good to do both. Maybe start with a serious tone and shift towards a more comedic tone as Kelsier and the gang are introduced. Best of both worlds, right?

Bugsy, you have great ideas! Love your narration idea. Very compelling! I'll definitely incorporate it into the script. I did indeed listen to the song. The lyrics are definitely fitting!

13407144_1046655478753489_5539013366684613346416_1046655475420156_37362261887853

Kedrik Shaw is featured on the boxing, hence its slang name (after the "Box" of Kedrik Shaw). (Originally, they were called imperials)

Clips and Boxings aren't really described that much in the books. Clips are either copper or bronze (not sure which), and Boxings are gold and in different denominations, IIRC