Pronunciation Alloy Of Law

Hi. I know Sanderson has said that the pronunciations of names are whatever we want them to be but I still wanted to know how most of you pronounce Marasi.

I pronounce it Marsi with the Mars as in the red planet. My friend pronounces it as Ma-raa-see.

Funny you should mention this, since someone corrected my pronunciation at the Bands of Mourning midnight release... I say her name "muh-RAW-see."

Also, I think we should totally expand this thread to include pronunciations of other names. For example, MeLaan. I say her name in my head as "may-lawn" (equal emphasis on each syllable, with the first one halfway between a monophthong and a diphthong), but I'm curious how the rest of the fandom says it. Same for Sazed. Where do you guys put the emphasis? "SAW-zedd"? Or "suh-ZEDD"?

I pronounce Sazed as SAY-zed, mostly because his nickname is "Saze" so it only makes sense as SAY-zed or SAYZD. But then SAYZD takes just as long to say as "Saze," so my logic takes the first option. 

Also, I say may-LAWN. 

Edited by Khyrindor

I pronounce Sazed as SAY-zed, mostly because his nickname is "Saze" so it only makes sense as SAY-zed or SAYZD. But then SAYZD takes just as long to say as "Saze," so my logic takes the first option. 

Also, I say may-LAWN. 

I realized this too as I was reading Secret History. Doesn't make sense to call him "SAYZ" if his full name is said "SAW-zedd." So I think you are right--it is most likely "SAY-zedd."

I've always pronunced the names like this:

Sazed: Sah-Zedd

MeLaan: Mee-Lawn

Marasi- Maa-raa-si

By the way, how do you guys pronounce Demoux? I've always pronounced it De-Mooh  :P  But is that right?

Also there's Cett. How do you pronounce his name? I pronounce it "Set", but my brother pronounces it "Chett". How do you guys say it? :D

Edited by Mistborn16

• Chaos locked this topic