Noticed a location/person name drop I've never heard before... [Possible Spoilers]

dantlee

Hi everyone, longtime lurker on these forums.  I was re-reading the Secret History, and I noticed a name Kelsier mentioned in passing that I had never seen anywhere else in the Scadrial books - either the original trilogy or Era 2.  

The quote is in Part 3 (Spirit), Chapter 2, as Kelsier walks across Lake Luthadel: 

*In fact, the lake was like a low island rising from the sea of mists.  What was solid and what was fluid seemed somehow reversed in this palce.  Kelsier stepped up to thie island's edge, the ribbon of Preservation's essence curling past him and leading onto the island, like a mythical string showing the way home from the grand maze of Ishathon.* 

Now, what the hell is 

Ishathon?

Is it a person? Is it a place? I use iBooks, so it was very easy to search through all of the Mistborn books for any reference to that name - this is the first and only time.  I'm not sure if this is a total red herring or irrelevant cultural thing from Era 1, but considering that Brandon is clearly expanding the map and showing us more of the world of Scadrial, could this place/person/thing be relevant in a future book? 

Edited by dantlee

If I were to throw a guess? It might be from Scadrian mythology in an analogue to the Labyrinth mythology of Earth. Kelsier probably learned it from his interaction with Sazed, given Sazed's huge collection of legends, lore, and mythology from before the Final Empire.

I could be totally off-base, of course, since this is just supposition!

If I were to throw a guess? It might be from Scadrian mythology in an analogue to the Labyrinth mythology of Earth. Kelsier probably learned it from his interaction with Sazed, given Sazed's huge collection of legends, lore, and mythology from before the Final Empire.

I could be totally off-base, of course, since this is just supposition!

This was my thought as well, mainly because I vaguely remember a labyrinth being offhandedly mentioned in another of the books (either SoS or BoM).

Obviously, Ishar came to Scadrial and built a big maze. The maze protects the Dawnshards, which is why no one on Roshar has been able to find them.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone who knew of Ishar was involved somehow. HOID WHAT DID YOU DO.

• Chaos locked this topic