Theory- Stormlight and Breath Relationship

Clockwork

So, in tWoK, (I was unable to find a theory like this, but there may be one at the bottom), at the beginning of the end battle, Kaladin used a ton of stormlight, and his sskin went gray. This, I think could possibly indicate that his breath was transformed into stormlight, causing him to turn Drab. This would also mean stormlight can transform into breaths, which would make sense if Szeth is using Nightblood.

Welcome to the forum! Only people from Nalthis are born with Breath, actually. But you're right about there being a relationship between Breath and Stormlight, good catch! They're similar forms of Investiture in a lot of ways. Vasher uses Stormlight as a replacement for his weekly Breath, for example, and Nightblood can be fueled by Stormlight rather than Breaths.

Edited by Lindel

Right, but I'm pretty sure the process of giving up their Breath is in part what turns people into Drabs. The symptoms of Drabness would likely be the same for anyone who's missing their Innate Investiture, but the I believe greyish skin is caused specifically by giving up your Breath, as it uses your own color.

Here's the WoB I was thinking of:

Chaos ()
Why does giving your Breath to another person not require color? Every other Command does.
Brandon Sanderson
I thought I answered this in the book. You use your own color. :)

Well, to be technical, I do believe everyone has that chunk of investiture that stops you from being Drab.

The Nalthians just have it detachable for some reason.

That really depends on how you view Breaths. Are they composed entirely from a person's own soul? Or is there some power from Endowment involved?

IIRC Brandon's only made implications here, but look at this partial WoB:

Brandon Sanderson

[...] So... So each Breath is a shade of deity, right?

Kurkistan

Yeah.

Brandon Sanderson

And each Breath incorporates into it this sort of idea of being endowed by the deity Endowment, correct?

Kurkistan

Yes.

Brandon Sanderson

And so each Breath you hold brings you one step closer to becoming like that, and so what you're saying is... is "yes", kind of true, yes.

This seems to say there is some gift from Endowment involved in forming a Breath, but it doesn't outright go and say that.

Well, if Endowment is the one who created them this way, it would still check out? *shrugs*

I mean, rather sure there's also a WoB saying that non-Nalthians aren't Drab. So the breath at least contains something that everyone else has by default.

Everyone in the Cosmere had Investiture and the Sentience creature had more. Now we call for semplicity "standard investiture" the Investiture of the Average Humans.

On Nalthis every people is born with an Innate Investiture greater than the Standard Investiture (probably more than a Scadrial-Human) but this Nalthis Innate investiture is made by a part trasferable called Breath (that are not the same for all the people at the born) and a part not-trasferable that we may call without a better term "soul".

What made a Drab is the fact that the Soul have less Investiture of the Standard Investiture and therefore when someone give away his Breath finish with less Breath than any other Shardworld-Human. On Nalthis the effect is more drammatic because anyone with Breath have more than a Standard Investiture.

A Drab may come out within other Magic System with less frequency, a victim of Hemalurgy (if survives) became quite a Drab. The only difference is about the "became Grey" but this isn't a "Drab proof" simply the colors fuel the Breath transfer. 

Vasher uses Stormlight as a replacement for his weekly Breath, for example, and Nightblood can be fueled by Stormlight rather than Breaths.

How would Vasher use stormlight as his weekly Breath? There's no Stormlight in Nalthis, and as far as I know, he's not with the 17th Shard. Or, actually, could Nalan be Vasher? he can change his appearance, and Vasher is the only one who normally wields Nightblood.

How would Vasher use stormlight as his weekly Breath? There's no Stormlight in Nalthis, and as far as I know, he's not with the 17th Shard. Or, actually, could Nalan be Vasher? he can change his appearance, and Vasher is the only one who normally wields Nightblood.

I assume you've read The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance?  Just in case you haven't:

Vasher is on Roshar going by the name Zahel, training lighteyes and proto-Radiants in the war camps at the Shattered Plains.

We know he's using Stormlight instead of his weekly breaths per WoB (someone else could probably track that down).

Btw, for quotes, I just click the Quote button on the post, and make sure you don't remove the very end or very beginning of what you quote.  To do it manually, I think you use [ quote ] and [ /quote ] without those spaces.

jW

Here's are the relevant WoBs on Vasher using Stormlight:

Question
Why is Vasher on Roshar? Is he trying to get back Nightblood?
Brandon Sanderson
Kind of a RAFO. I won't go into all his reasons right now but there is one thing that was difficult to get on Nalthis that is much easier to get on Roshar. Going to Roshar solved that problem for him.

To confirm what's implied above, we have this:

BlackYeti
Did he [Vasher] actually come from Nalthis and not Roshar?
Brandon Sanderson
I’m not going to actually answer that one. Well I can answer that: yes he does come from Nalthis. It’s pretty obvious that the way that the Breath’s working, the reason he moved is because it’s easier to get Stormlight than Breaths, and Stormlight can fuel being a Returned like him. And so yes, he was born on Nalthis. Becoming Returned without being born on Nalthis would be really hard.

(source)

Edited by Lindel

• Chaos locked this topic