The Goals of The Set, post Shadows of Self

DeadFencer

As Wax's uncle says in Alloy, the goals of the Set and the goals of Miles are similar. So, presumably they want something involving overthrowing the current society, possibly with Metalborn as the new leaders (Wax's uncle has a thing for them).

I kind of wonder if they aren't reinstituting a Terris breeding program, only one very different from that of the Lord Ruler.

Wouldn't it be a wild plot twist if we learned Wax's grandmother was a member of the Set and that they were trying to recreate/breed another person with the Lord Ruler's abilities (i.e. a mistborn who was also a full feruchemist)?!

Even if the Set weren't trying to breed a new human with those powers, SoS kind of lays the groundwork for a Kandra to have those powers via hemalurgy. So, the goals of their breeding program may just be to produce a crop of metalborn from whom they can harvest allomantic/feruchemical  abilities.

This only gets more interesting if you subscribe to the theory that the Set may be principally composed of rogue kandra who - like Paalm - reject Sazed's control (Mr. Suit... what better name could you give to a kandra?) If the unknown metal in Paalm's spike at the end of SoS allows her to use and steal any allomantic/furchemical ability (as some have speculated) then a rouge kandra could become an extra-invincible version of the Lord Ruler without the need for atium to prevent aging or the need for gold to heal from life-threatening injuries. Furthermore, the ability to change form would only amplify a super-kandra's fear-factor (super-kandra will be abbreviated as "SK" in the remainder of this post to avoid the pronoun difficulties of a gender neutral being... stupid English language); one day SK might choose to be large and imposing, on another day SK could go for a stately and distinguished look to bolster his/her public image.

A kandra overlord could enforce conformity to his or her empire's facist thought-crime laws by imitating the house pets of suspected dissidents; alternatively, SK could simply employ other kandra minions to do this (like the Lord Ruler did with inquisitors). SK's kandra minions would basically be kandra inquisitors -- nearly indestructible, hemalurgically blessed enforcers of their master's will. Scary!

EDIT: Fixed some minor grammatical issues and text color. No biggie.

Edited by KidWayne

Wouldn't it be a wild plot twist if we learned Wax's grandmother was a member of the Set and that they were trying to recreate/breed another person with the Lord Ruler's abilities (i.e. a mistborn who was also a full feruchemist)?!

Given how she expressed disapproval of the bloodlines mixing and how dangerous it could be, that would be one heck of a twist. :)

Given how she expressed disapproval of the bloodlines mixing and how dangerous it could be, that would be one heck of a twist. :)

In my defense, I did say it would be a wild twist. In all honesty, I had forgotten about that. I'm not willing to give up on the fantasy just yet, though.  

I mean Lessie turned out to be a freakin' kandra ...

It's not like we haven't seen characters lie in order hide their true motivations.

Edited by KidWayne

She was disapproving of Wax going off to the Roughs, etc. etc. What if it's because she wants him to stay with the Terris in order to improve the genetics, not run off and marry some no-talent stick-in-the-mud (or unsnapped misting!?) on account of her minor house being flush with cash? hmm. What about that?

Edit: I'm not saying Steris is an unsnapped or hidden misting, but how fun would it be if she's an aluminum gnat or something and doesn't know it?

Edited by midnightyell

Wax has allomantic blood, and it seems to have remained relatively strong since Breeze's time. Twinborn at that. Keeping him around for genetics will just dilute the Terris gene pool further. Only thing that will benefit the genetics at all at this point is a full feruchemist.

• Chaos locked this topic