Adonalsium the name

Hamilcar

never would have thought of that, but it does make sense. 

Can a metal be "shattered"? i know it can be broken but shattered seems like it was made into distinct new elements not just smaller pieces of the whole.

better minds than mine will have to ponder this...

First, I would like to mention the Adonai is one name for the Hebrew God. However, the word Adonai means, more or less, lord. The name that Jews consider to be the actual name of God (and they won't utter or write it themselves as they believe it is to sacred) is Yahweh, which means "He that Is." (Sorry, I'm getting a BA in Religion)

That is a great observation. There are certainly similarities. However, it is much more likely that Brandon simply changed it a bit to use as the name of the greatest being in the Cosmere. He did explicitly state that Adonalsium is the name of the being. 

I actually asked him about Adonalsium at the recent London signing, and the summarised reply was that Brandon hasn't decided what it was yet (being or force).

For context: I asked him if you could have a good conversation with Adonalsium, and it got RAFO'd with the above explaination.

I actually asked him about Adonalsium at the recent London signing, and the summarised reply was that Brandon hasn't decided what it was yet (being or force).

For context: I asked him if you could have a good conversation with Adonalsium, and it got RAFO'd with the above explaination.

That is a very good question. Have you added it to the London signing report, because I can't recall seeing this one before.

more specifically - the Hebrew name is IHVH or YHVH or even more specifically HVHI since we write right to left - and it is not necessarily Yahweh - it has also been interpreted as Jehovah - the pronunciation has been lost --- we do substitute Adonai in it's place because HVHI is not supposed to be pronounced

more specifically - the Hebrew name is IHVH or YHVH or even more specifically HVHI since we write right to left - and it is not necessarily Yahweh - it has also been interpreted as Jehovah - the pronunciation has been lost --- we do substitute Adonai in it's place because HVHI is not supposed to be pronounced

Actually, Jehovah is a misnomer. We get the word Jehovah from the attempt by hebrew scholars early on trying to designate a written form of the name of God YHWH without writing it, so instead of using vowel indicators they attempted to denoted them using small dots in the transcription. Also it's important to mention that the actual hebrew form of the Name is, when spoken, sounds as though it has no real hard consonant sounds. It sounds like it is meant to be "breathed" more than "spoken". Sorry for the abstractness there, it's definitely an interesting tidbit though. 

Actually, Jehovah is a misnomer. We get the word Jehovah from the attempt by hebrew scholars early on trying to designate a written form of the name of God YHWH without writing it, so instead of using vowel indicators they attempted to denoted them using small dots in the transcription. Also it's important to mention that the actual hebrew form of the Name is, when spoken, sounds as though it has no real hard consonant sounds. It sounds like it is meant to be "breathed" more than "spoken". Sorry for the abstractness there, it's definitely an interesting tidbit though. 

dagesh - the little dots are called dagesh ..i'm sure you know

lol wasn't stating that Jehovah is right - just another fail at interpretation 

the pronunciation has been lost (or hidden) - i'm a Jew, an initiate, and a long time practitioner of the Kabbalah (20+ years)

breathed is a good way to put it - i was taught to intone / vibrate 

wished Brandon used Elohim instead - though i know he had good reason to use Adonai

Elohim consists of a singular male and a plural female - and was used in Genesis

feel free to PM me 

• Chaos locked this topic