Things to watch for on re-reads

Tarion

Hey all, 

After delving into Mistborn again for SoS's release, I figured it was time to hit up Stormlight Archives again. 

I've not really been paying too much attention since the months immediately after WoRs release, so I'm basically looking for things I should be paying attention to.

What are the "newer" theories?  What has WoB pointed us to recently?  

Not much has happened recently on the Stormlight Archive front. I'd recommend looking out the the gem we got from the AMA about...

Mistborn-y thing.

the Lord Ruler's child.

Wow, I must have missed that bit.  Have you got more information?  I did a quick skim of the AMA and couldn't see it.  

Another one I'd missed

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/crcbbv7?context=3

The Horneaters and the Herdazians are both descendants of Parshendi/human interbreeding.

Was this common knowledge?  

Wow, I must have missed that bit.  Have you got more information?  I did a quick skim of the AMA and couldn't see it.  

Another one I'd missed

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/2ytg2h/im_novelist_brandon_sanderson_ama/crcbbv7?context=3

Was this common knowledge?

Wow news to me though it explains a couple things. Though I wonder how "darkly" to interpret this information.

Wow news to me though it explains a couple things. Though I wonder how "darkly" to interpret this information.

If I interpretated correctly the "dark" part, I think you shouldn't worry, since Parshendi seem to only be able to reproduce in a especific form that is not meant for war or work and is described by their songs as caring. Plus, the parshend weren't always voidbringers, and there may have once been peace between them and humans in some lands.

If I interpretated correctly the "dark" part, I think you shouldn't worry, since Parshendi seem to only be able to reproduce in a especific form that is not meant for war or work and is described by their songs as caring. Plus, the parshend weren't always voidbringers, and there may have once been peace between them and humans in some lands.

Same AMA says that Parshendi can reproduce in any form (In the same way that they could swing a sword in any form) it's just that one is more suited for it.  I could definitely see some of the nastier forms tying into the dark interpretation.  

I just doubt that's where BS is taking it.  

Alethi however don't need a different form, and humans did defeat the voidbringers multiple times in the past, for a while at least.

On a less dark take for the Parshendi/human interbreeding thing, does it mean that Horneaters and/or Herdazians could potentially achieve Stormform, or something like it?

What.

The idea they could be taken over by stormspren makes little sense, since they do not bond spren to mantain their intelligence, and are much closer to humans both physically and supernaturaly.

• 2 weeks later...

You can have only one species inbreed for generations, and as long as they are somehow separated into groups with no gene flow inbetween you will eventually have one species rise from each population.

Having two different results of one hybridization, given the potential presence of sex-linked traits and sDNA oddities as well as geographical isolation, is honestly not strange at all.

You can have only one species inbreed for generations, and as long as they are somehow separated into groups with no gene flow inbetween you will eventually have one species rise from each population.

Having two different results of one hybridization, given the potential presence of sex-linked traits and sDNA oddities as well as geographical isolation, is honestly not strange at all.

The only surprise is that any cross breeding resulted in a breedable species.  Many and I want to say most,  cross species hybrids in real life are sterile.

• Chaos locked this topic